4 to 5 lug conversion parts list, anyone done this recently?

Merkur Scorpio / XR4Ti Technical Library - Check here for answers to common questions, problems and modifications.

Moderator: John Brennan

Merkur Club web site
Hobgoblyn

4 to 5 lug conversion parts list, anyone done this recently?

Post by Hobgoblyn »

Has anyone done a 4 to 5 lug conversion lately? I have a few questions I hope some of you may be able to help with.
1 Is the Scorpio rotor a direct replacement for the front and what needs to be done to fit them on back.
2 Is there a better alternative? I have not sourced any parts yet, so I am open to options.
I have been thinking about the SVT Contour swap but thing is there are not many wheels that fit a Merk, none that I like. Enkei J10's look decent but I found a BBS 16x7 5x108 SR Gray on ebay for $175 apiece, the et is 45 so 10mm spacers up front and voila. I have searched for hours and haven't found much for a 4x108 16x7 with the right et(backspacing). Frustrating :evil:
I want the most bang for the buck but am willing to compromise for ease of installation and/or parts sourcing!
Thanks, Lyn
88 Xr4Ti Mono white T5, Stinger, Turbonetics t3t4, Godzilla bov, Evolution w/g, Spearco FMIC, 65mm TB, Roller Cam, 3'' Borla SS exhaust, Superchip SVO EEC, Centerforce Stage II, Sparco seats, Momo wheel, shifter, and pedals, Phantom gauges,Cosworth RS body panels, Euro lights.
86 White/Gray 5 sp Borla short shifter.
Esteban
Level 7
Level 7

Re: 4 to 5 lug conversion parts list, anyone done this recen

Post by Esteban »

What backspacing are you looking for in 16x7. Many hubcentric spacers available to make whatever you find fit.
Hobgoblyn

Re: 4 to 5 lug conversion parts list, anyone done this recen

Post by Hobgoblyn »

As you know the factory spec is 35, and I am told anything up to 42 will work. I am considering a couple of options. If I can find a set of Hockenheim R's I may just stay with the 4 lug. However, if I can't find those I have found a set of BBS that are 16x7 5x108 with a 45 backspace. They will fit the back with scorpio hubs and only require a 10mm spacer for the fronts. I positively want to go with bigger brakes in front and a nice rear disc setup. Brembo's and Baer's are out of the question. My logic is that if I have to change both front rotors and put rotors on the back, why not go 5 lug for more wheel choices as well as the safety aspect. Does this help? I am interested in Tim's Focus rear disc swap as well. If you have expertise or experience in this area I would be enormously appreciative of any info you can provide. Thanks, Lyn