Wheel bearings..XR and Scorpio (and Cosworth)

Merkur Scorpio / XR4Ti Technical Library - Check here for answers to common questions, problems and modifications.

Moderator: John Brennan

Merkur Club web site
Chuck W
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Chuck W »

anglin wrote:
anglin wrote:I'll drop Terry a note to see what he says about it.
Terry says the mystery PNs are copied directly off a set of inner and outer Scorpio front wheel bearing races as supplied from Rapido.
So those are just race numbers then, not bearings? Ok.
"Strange women, lying in ponds distributing swords is no basis for a system of government. Supreme executive power is derived from a mandate from the masses, not from some farsical aquatic ceremony."
Freejack
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Freejack »

Chuck I would be willing to guess:
Part # (as supplied by Rapido):
Outers:
SKF BT1B 332821 C/Q Germany 00283T
SKF BT1B 332821 C/Q Germany 00272U

Inners:
SKF BT1B 332821 B A/Q Germany L W41T
SKF BT1B 332821 B A/Q Germany L W39U
Chuck, I would be willing to guess, that the upper two numbers are the races, front and rear, the lower two numbers are the bearings front and rear (hence the "B" designation). Now we just have to figure out which is which, anyone have access to an SKF spec catalog?

Jake
anglin
Level 7
Level 7

Post by anglin »

Chuck W wrote:Scorpio

Front
Bearing: Timken - ?
Seal: Timken - ?

Rear
Bearing: Timken - set24
Seal: Timken - 536810XX (single lip?)
I just disassembled Scorpio rear bearing carriers and there is NO WAY the rears are Set24s. The Set24 bearing race nests *inside* the Scorpio rear bearing race. The Scorpio rear bearing is WAY larger than the XR Set24 bearing. In fact, the Scorpio rear bearing is *larger* than the Scorpio front bearing.

This leads me to speculate that the Scorpio rear bearing is the same as the Cosworth rear bearing. I actually have no proof of this.

If you are a Scorpio owner, DO NOT buy Set24 bearings for the rear of your car.
Anglin email: - anglin at mc2racing.com
www.mc2racing.com
anglin
Level 7
Level 7

Post by anglin »

anglin wrote:If you are a Scorpio owner, DO NOT buy Set24 bearings for the rear of your car.
Alright. I took some pictures for the sake of visual comparison.

Left to right: XR race, Scorpio front race, Scorpio rear race.

Note how much bigger the Scorpio rear race is compared to the XR Set24 race. No way the Scorpio rears are Set24s. The next picture shows this even more clearly. I put the XR race inside the Scorpio rear race.

How about them apples. Autozone's computer is wrong, so if you are buying bearings, you'd be better off staying out of the zone...
Last edited by anglin on Sat Dec 01, 2007 11:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
www.mc2racing.com
Freejack
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Freejack »

Chris,

Are there any discernable numbers on those races, or the bearings for that matter? The picture shows the opposite side of the race from the lettering...

Jake
DPDISXR4Ti
Site Admin

Post by DPDISXR4Ti »

Given the bigger upgrade for the rears with the Scorpio, it would kinda lead you to believe that the factory saw more REARXR bearing failures than front. Further reinforcing this theory is the fact that the Cossie didn't get any size increase on the fronts, yet it did get the increase on the rears.
Freejack
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Freejack »

Umm, front Scorpio bearings are also larger than the XRs. I would guess its simply a reflection of being a heavier car.

Jake
DPDISXR4Ti
Site Admin

Post by DPDISXR4Ti »

Freejack wrote:Umm, front Scorpio bearings are also larger than the XRs. I would guess its simply a reflection of being a heavier car.
Jake
Understood. Hence the reason I indicated that the rears got a BIGGER increase vs. the fronts. My point was that the factory saw a greater need to increase the size of the rear bearings vs. the fronts. I suspect the bearing requirement is determined as a function of vehicle weight and power production (for the driven wheels).
Chuck W
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Chuck W »

Nice.

Thanks Chris!
"Strange women, lying in ponds distributing swords is no basis for a system of government. Supreme executive power is derived from a mandate from the masses, not from some farsical aquatic ceremony."
anglin
Level 7
Level 7

Post by anglin »

I was reviewing this post to see if anybody had any new information to share. For some reason, I thought I replied to Jake's question already. Guess not.
Freejack wrote:Are there any discernable numbers on those races, or the bearings for that matter? The picture shows the opposite side of the race from the lettering...
Oddly, the PNs were scuffed off of the races. You could see that there was lettering there, but it was no longer ledgible. I've never seen that happen before. Sorry I couldn't be of more help.
www.mc2racing.com
Freejack
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Freejack »

I think you had in another thread, cause I remember seeing it also...

Jake
timxr8
Level 5
Level 5

Re: Wheel bearings..XR and Scorpio (and Cosworth)

Post by timxr8 »

I'm resurrecting this to help. I know on Merkursport we had something really nice, but I think that site is no longer with us, which really sucks. I have all the bearing information, but I need to know the P/N for all the seals. I have plenty of XR seals, but I do not have any front or rear Scorpio/2wd Cossie triple lip seals. All seals I have looked at are single lip. Any help is appreciated.
DPDISXR4Ti
Site Admin

Post by DPDISXR4Ti »

timxr8 wrote:I have all the bearing information, but I need to know the P/N for all the seals. I have plenty of XR seals, but I do not have any front or rear Scorpio/2wd Cossie triple lip seals. All seals I have looked at are single lip. Any help is appreciated.
Not sure if you're still looking for this, but here's the info I found in here from pyropete125...

scorpio:
front bearings are SKF FW139
front seals napa 20905, national federal mogal pn 53x68x10, Corteco 12012561B

rear bearings are SKF FW141, BECK/ARNLEY Part # 0514082
rear seals are napa 16523, national f/m 710393, chicago rawhide 22038, 56x72x8 [4/1/16 Edit: This info is mostly wrong - see post below]

I don't know if any of the aforementioned seals are single or triple lip. I know that MC2Racing specifically indicates that the seals included in their kits are triple lip. And at $70, their kits are fairly priced. If you're just looking for seals, maybe they might sell them individually on an exception basis?
Brad
anglin
Level 7
Level 7

Post by anglin »

Grayson handles the wheel bearings, but he's a flexible and reasonable guy. Shoot a note to sales@mc2racing.com and the process can begin!
www.mc2racing.com
DPDISXR4Ti
Site Admin

Post by DPDISXR4Ti »

DPDISXR4Ti wrote:rear bearings are SKF FW141, BECK/ARNLEY Part # 0514082
rear seals are napa 16523, national f/m 710393, chicago rawhide 22038, 56x72x8
The above info, at least with respect to the Scorpio rear wheel bearing seal part #'s, is mostly wrong. SKF p/n 22032 is the correct part. Original Ford USA p/n is E7RY1175A; Ford of Europe p/n 85GB1175AA

SKF p/n 22038 is nearly the same seal, just a little deeper. Either can be used, but 22032 seems to be more widely available.

I haven't looked into whether the info for the fronts is correct or not, so use at your own risk.
Brad