Front Brake Rotors...Do any other ford rotors fit?

Merkur Scorpio / XR4Ti Technical Library - Check here for answers to common questions, problems and modifications.

Moderator: John Brennan

Merkur Club web site
Rocky's Wrench
Level 4
Level 4

Re:

Post by Rocky's Wrench »

DPDISXR4Ti wrote:
babycheesmo wrote:audi 90 rotors fit perfectly, they are exactly the same!, i was changing pads and remembered i had brand new brembos for my old audi 90 and the were identical.
Isn't the center-bore 57mm on those, same as the wheels?
No, Audi uses a 68mm center-bore for the rotors, the hub has a step to center it...
timxr8
Level 5
Level 5

Re: Front Brake Rotors...Do any other ford rotors fit?

Post by timxr8 »

Also, the audi 90 use a 257mm rotor, which is close enough, but still 3mm smaller than stock. It's good to know that we have other options.
DAReese
Level 7
Level 7

Post by DAReese »

I've got Cobra PBRs with Contour discs in the front. T-Bird discs in the rest. I assume the are T-Bird rears, but haven't looked.
popimpracer
Level 1
Level 1

Post by popimpracer »

ARE THE TWO PIECE ONES AVAILABLE IN CONTOUR SIZE FOR THE FRONT?
Marc
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Marc »

These are also a nice disc to use as an upgrade: http://www.burtonpower.com/brake-discs- ... 56322.html

324x28 mm discs with the same 4x108 mm PCD as the Sierra/XR4Ti. In Europe they are used together with 4 pot Brembo calipers off a BMW e38 728i.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Caprisport-B ... 2646645780

But be aware that the brackets in the link only fit the 2wd Cosworth knuckles. The other Sierra/XR4Ti knuckles have a slightly different distance between the caliper mounting lugs.
popimpracer
Level 1
Level 1

Post by popimpracer »

I currently am using the pbr set up.
timxr8
Level 5
Level 5

Post by timxr8 »

Marc wrote: Fri Aug 03, 2018 6:57 am These are also a nice disc to use as an upgrade: http://www.burtonpower.com/brake-discs- ... 56322.html

324x28 mm discs with the same 4x108 mm PCD as the Sierra/XR4Ti. In Europe they are used together with 4 pot Brembo calipers off a BMW e38 728i.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Caprisport-B ... 2646645780

But be aware that the brackets in the link only fit the 2wd Cosworth knuckles. The other Sierra/XR4Ti knuckles have a slightly different distance between the caliper mounting lugs.
Um...2wd Cossies and XR have identical mounting patterns for the calipers. All Sierras for that matter have the same mounting pattern, both height from centerline of the axle and the distance between the holes (90mm on all). Only difference is the Scorpio is a shallower hat offset and the 4x4 (Escos) is even shallower.

Only issue I see with this is the rotor availability in the US. I know the stock 2piston of the same size vehicles is a 42mm piston, which makes it very close to the stock sizing, so that's good. Wondering what the Brembo piston sizing is, but I imagine it's slightly smaller than the 2 piston calipers or 1 is smaller.

I'd imagine a better upgrade for the US cars with at least 17's is the Focus RS brakes at 335mm and Brembo 4 piston calipers. Just need to drill 3 extra holes and have a couple spacers made to make them fit right on.
Tim Spencer
1988 XR4Ti Duratec project car
2011 Taurus SHO daily driver...not stock.
Marc
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Marc »

You’re right on the distance, I’ve just checked the 2wd cosworth ones and they are also 90 mm. Someone told me they were 89 mm. But still there is a big difference in 2wd cosworth and the others. The 2wd cosworth has the thread in the hubs while all others have it in the calipers. So you still can’t change cosworth calipers to a standard hub or the other way around.
timxr8
Level 5
Level 5

Post by timxr8 »

Interesting that they tapped the holes in the spindle on the 2wd Cossies. I've only seen a couple of them, but they all had some sort of racing brakes (AP or Wilwood), so I might have just chalked it up to that. I wouldn't use 2wd Cosworth brakes on anything anyway, except a concourse restoration. Extremely heavy and the pad is relatively small.
Tim Spencer
1988 XR4Ti Duratec project car
2011 Taurus SHO daily driver...not stock.