How to Open an XR4Ti Hood if the Cable Snaps

Merkur Scorpio / XR4Ti Technical Library - Check here for answers to common questions, problems and modifications.

Moderator: John Brennan

Merkur Club web site
anglin
Level 7
Level 7

How to Open an XR4Ti Hood if the Cable Snaps

Post by anglin »

All,

The "help, I broke my hood cable and I can't get my hood open" is a perennial topic, so I suppose it is an appropriate item for the FAQ section. I doon't have a large amount to add, since it was 11 years ago the last time I had a problem (man... THAT is a dangerous thing to say). So, I need you guys to help build the FAQ. Here's what we are looking for:

- how you opened the hood
- the part that actually broke
- what you did to prevent it from happenening again
- what you did after opening the hood to prevent it from happening in the future
- any special 'tools' you utilized

Here's what I have to offer.

I actually didn't have a cable break. The cable just popped free of the unlatching mechanism. I used a special 'tool' made of a 12" long, or so, piece of window screen frame to reach up from underneath the car and pop the latch free. Fortunately I had a parts car (my very first one) nearby to get a look at the latch mechanism so I knew what I was working with. Some folks may be able to reach the latch mechanism with their hands, but my big popeyeass forearms prevent me from such activities.

I have used plastic zip ties on the hood cable to permanently retain it to the mechanism of every XR4Ti I've owned since that happened to me.

There is also a thread similar to this in the Scorpio section, since the Scorpio suffers from the same problem.

http://forum.merkurclub.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=7194

Edit: I received the following information via private message and figure it is worth sharing in here.
Dipstick wrote:I saw the "How to Open an XR4Ti Hood if the Cable Snaps" FAQ

I don't know if this is true for Merkurs, but on Ford Sierras there is actually an "emergency" mechanism to open the hood if your cable snaps. If you get under the car and look up between the radiator, there is a hole below the hood lock. Insert a screwdriver through the hole so that it passes to the right of the lock striker. Then twist or lever the lock sliding plate to the right until the striker is released.

This works on Sierras at least, and maybe you guys know about it already, but if not, it could be worth checking out!
Last edited by anglin on Sun Dec 02, 2007 1:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Anglin email: - anglin at mc2racing.com
www.mc2racing.com
anglin
Level 7
Level 7

Post by anglin »

Man, I sure hope none of your hood cables ever snap or pop loose, because this almost-FAQ will never become a full-fledged FAQ without some user input! How ironic is it that the Scorpio FAQ on this topic actually has some replies, even though there's about 63 Scorpios left on the road and only 3 of their owners participate in any online forums...

</guilt trip>

:lol:
Anglin email: - anglin at mc2racing.com
www.mc2racing.com
John Brennan
Level 8

Post by John Brennan »

I replaced my assy. a few years back when the handle under the steering wheel broke, but it was not an impediment to opening the hood, so I have nothing else to offer...
This is my car, and these are my people!
2015 Fiesta ST
2020 Edge 2.0 Ecoboost
DPDISXR4Ti
Site Admin

Post by DPDISXR4Ti »

I'm not sure why, but I get the feeling that the Scorpio cable breaks way more often. Sorry, but that's the only useless bit of info I've got to add. :oops:
Brad
merkurmaniac
Level 5
Level 5

Post by merkurmaniac »

I'd suggest adding a nice close up picture of a hood latch mechanism for reference. Figure that anyone hunting that information would appreciate the picture, since lots of folks don't have a parts car for reference. The picture should be taken from the engine POV and maybe have an arrow saying.. "push this to the left" or whatever. That would have been nice to have when my hood latch popped loose last year on the way to Carlisle.

Richard
SARON81
Level 5
Level 5

Post by SARON81 »

Every couple of months, the ball at the end of the cable used to come out of the release. I crimped the bracket around it tighter, and haven't had any problems since. I'd jack up ane side of the car, crawl under there....and reeeeeach my arm up, and could just reach the end of the release.
merkurdriver
Level 8

Re:

Post by merkurdriver »

merkurmaniac wrote: Wed May 10, 2006 9:18 am I'd suggest adding a nice close up picture of a hood latch mechanism for reference. Figure that anyone hunting that information would appreciate the picture, since lots of folks don't have a parts car for reference. The picture should be taken from the engine POV and maybe have an arrow saying.. "push this to the left" or whatever. That would have been nice to have when my hood latch popped loose last year on the way to Carlisle.
13 years later... your wish has been granted
Attachments
hoodlatch.jpg
hoodlatch.jpg (1.6 MiB) Viewed 16955 times
DPDISXR4Ti
Site Admin

Re: Re:

Post by DPDISXR4Ti »

merkurdriver wrote: Mon Dec 30, 2019 3:58 am 13 years later... your wish has been granted
Nice update Mike! Shouldn't you add, "Perform this operation only on a stone-cold engine". Or perhaps better yet...
"Step 1 Disconnect power to cooling fan(s)"
Brad
andyofcolumbusmerkur
Level 7
Level 7

Re: How to Open an XR4Ti Hood if the Cable Snaps

Post by andyofcolumbusmerkur »

Mike, you sir are a fine American.
The best way to keep your Kia from being stolen is to not have a Kia.
merkurdriver
Level 8

Post by merkurdriver »

DPDISXR4Ti wrote: Mon Dec 30, 2019 5:47 pm
merkurdriver wrote: Mon Dec 30, 2019 3:58 am 13 years later... your wish has been granted
Nice update Mike! Shouldn't you add, "Perform this operation only on a stone-cold engine". Or perhaps better yet...
**Proceed with extra caution on 1985 model year where the fans will turn on without the key even in the ignition.
DAReese
Level 7
Level 7

Post by DAReese »

merkurdriver wrote: Thu Jan 02, 2020 3:58 am
DPDISXR4Ti wrote: Mon Dec 30, 2019 5:47 pm
**Proceed with extra caution on 1985 model year where the fans will turn on without the key even in the ignition.
And some 86s. Mine would do that on occasion.
David Reese

88 XR4Ti - mono white T5, someday to be bi wing
89 Scorpio - waiting on some parts before it hits the road again
88 XR4Ti - mono red C3, parts car
used to own 86 dark blue traded in on a min van, what was I thinking?
milehighXR
Level 7
Level 7

Re: How to Open an XR4Ti Hood if the Cable Snaps

Post by milehighXR »

Fans coming on without key in the ignition was a daily occurrence with my XR in the summers at nearly 5000ft of altitude. And that was without driving it hard.
Johnny

1 86 XR aka Naomi- my first love, now daily driven project

DCLXVI