Junkyard Shopping List - Feel free to contribute

Merkur Scorpio / XR4Ti Technical Library - Check here for answers to common questions, problems and modifications.

Moderator: John Brennan

Merkur Club web site
DPDISXR4Ti
Site Admin

Post by DPDISXR4Ti »

worked_xr wrote:why grab this stuff?
'85 - '87-ish Nissan 300 ZX Turbo Compressor housing
Hose-ready 2.5" input and 2" outlet - sorta like the one used on the SVO

'80's Mazda RX7 & Nissan sentra brake booster check valve
Many of us use these on the PCV line or anywhere a durable check-valve is needed

late 80's/early 90's F150 or E150 (van) external fuel pump (p/n E7TF-9350-AA)
Exact same form factor as the original frame-rail mounted pump on the XR, but higher output and pressure. In a bind, it'll work as the sole pump.

BMW 5-series difs
I think John just meant "generically" Bimmer diffs

Oil cooler "sandwich plate" fitting, found on Volvo 2.3 Turbo engines
For plumbing air-air oil coolers - see related post active in XR4 section

any garrett turbo from saab 900 or 9000 (not sure how the mitsubishi turbos would fit)
The cold side on these is mostly useless unless you're looking to go with a smaller turbo. But otherwise, they're basic T3's, with some better hardware in some cases.
Brad
worked_xr
Level 7
Level 7

Post by worked_xr »

Excellent! Thanks for the reply.
milehighXR
Level 7
Level 7

Post by milehighXR »

Every relay from the fuse panel. And any relay that has the same specs from other Fords. They are $25.00 a pop new, and sometimes hard to find. Also TFIs, 2.3L dizzies, CFI injectors(for possible E-85 conversions, or injector upgrade), all the switches for Merkurs, and basicly any Merkur specific part you can get away with.
Johnny

1 86 XR aka Naomi- my first love, now daily driven project

DCLXVI
Ed Lijewski
Level 8

Post by Ed Lijewski »

DPDISXR4Ti wrote:
worked_xr wrote:why grab this stuff?
'80's Mazda RX7 & Nissan sentra brake booster check valve
Many of us use these on the PCV line or anywhere a durable check-valve is needed
Easier to buy a new one from NAPA, ~ $5; makes better sense to buy a new one than to assume a used one is as good as you expect it to be.

YMMV 8)
Descartes: "Cogito Ergo Sum"
Lijewski: "Sum Ergo Drive-O. Mucho!
DPDISXR4Ti
Site Admin

Re: Junkyard Shopping List - Feel free to contribute

Post by DPDISXR4Ti »

DPDISXR4Ti wrote:The idea here is to NOT include items from a Merkur - it should be obvious that items from a junked Merkur should fit another one. Let's NOT even cover here items that can be swapped between a Scorpio and XR - too many of those.
Brad
DPDISXR4Ti
Site Admin

Post by DPDISXR4Ti »

Ed Lijewski wrote:Easier to buy a new one from NAPA, ~ $5; makes better sense to buy a new one than to assume a used one is as good as you expect it to be.
Find me just one of these that has failed - anywhere on the entire planet - just one ...and I'll agree with you. :D

P.S. Hitting one with a sledge hammer doesn't count.
Brad
milehighXR
Level 7
Level 7

Post by milehighXR »

I guess I missed that part.

But in my defense there are pieces that folks are overlooking or tossing that are "obvious" but never pulled from the yard, or junk cars.

And I have NEVER been able to find one of those Mazda or nissan check valves at the auto parts stores, incuding NAPA. I always get a blank look From the counter dude. And noone has been able to tell me what cars to tell the counter person it is from so I don't get blank looks. Which is why I made my own for $10.00 from Grainger.
Johnny

1 86 XR aka Naomi- my first love, now daily driven project

DCLXVI
DPDISXR4Ti
Site Admin

Post by DPDISXR4Ti »

milehighXR wrote:And noone has been able to tell me what cars to tell the counter person it is from
I'm pretty sure '82 Mazda RX7 would do the trick IF it's something they carry. It's not at all a failure-prone part (hence my comments above), so I'd be surprised if it was stocked on the shelf.

Getting back on-topic....

'92 - '94 2.3 Ranger Alternator Bracket (passenger side mount)
Brad
deathbypsi
Level 3
Level 3

Post by deathbypsi »

What about a factory posi out of late model Camaro 10 bolt rear ends?

What about the Jetta bumpers I keep seeing? I dont know what years/models to look for.
Brian R.
86 SVO
worked_xr
Level 7
Level 7

Post by worked_xr »

deathbypsi wrote: What about the Jetta bumpers I keep seeing? I dont know what years/models to look for.
Mk3, '94-'98 Jetta (or Golf).
EVIL_XR4
Level 7
Level 7

Post by EVIL_XR4 »

DPDISXR4Ti wrote:'92 - '94 2.3 Ranger Alternator Bracket (passenger side mount)

As far as that goes, when you install one on the other side, what else has to be changed along with that, as in wires/belts lengthened or anything like that? I can't stand the alt. being right over top of the distributor.
DPDISXR4Ti
Site Admin

Post by DPDISXR4Ti »

deathbypsi wrote:What about a factory posi out of late model Camaro 10 bolt rear ends?
Does "10 bolt" = 7.5" GM 26-spline rear-end?
It doesn't have to be limited to Camaros; it's basically any GM 7.5 rear-end with a 3.23 or higher ratio (numerically). The S10 and Blazer are other possible donors.

All that said, bear in mind that it's not a plug-n-play swap.
Brad
DPDISXR4Ti
Site Admin

Post by DPDISXR4Ti »

EVIL_XR4 wrote:
As far as that goes, when you install one on the other side, what else has to be changed along with that, as in wires/belts lengthened or anything like that? I can't stand the alt. being right over top of the distributor.
You'll need to switch to micro-V pulleys/belts for the crank, WP, and Pwr Strng. Re-wiring required, but it's probably time to do that any way.
Brad
EVIL_XR4
Level 7
Level 7

Post by EVIL_XR4 »

DPDISXR4Ti wrote:
EVIL_XR4 wrote:
You'll need to switch to micro-V pulleys/belts for the crank, WP, and Pwr Strng. Re-wiring required, but it's probably time to do that any way.

I'm not trying to hijack this whole thread but maybe this will help others....lets say i find a serpentine setup from a Ranger (i'm assuming that they also had the alt. on the passenger side too right?)...would i just pull off the whole front dress/accessory setup as far as the brackets and pullies and swap them over? Like the Ranger crank pully and power steering pully along with the alt. pully and bracket?
John Brennan
Level 8

Post by John Brennan »

Essentially, yes-- although you'll need to wire up that 3G alternator it'll likely have-- an upgrade as well.
This is my car, and these are my people!
2015 Fiesta ST
2020 Edge 2.0 Ecoboost