Junkyard Shopping List - Feel free to contribute

Merkur Scorpio / XR4Ti Technical Library - Check here for answers to common questions, problems and modifications.

Moderator: John Brennan

Merkur Club web site
RatFink
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Junkyard Shopping List - Feel free to contribute

Post by RatFink »

I would add:
third gen. RX7 oil cooler
T3 turbo from Volvo 2.3 (smallish, but quick to spool)
DPDISXR4Ti wrote: '85 - '87-ish Nissan 300 ZX Turbo Compressor housing
Question? did the 300z turbos vary from year to year? I have a pair from one and they are small T25's .48 A/R
Daniel Llewellyn

"You can never turn a pig into a race horse, but with enough development you can have a pretty damn fast pig".
Randy Pobst

I just love this guy:
hEaT wrote:Bit more work, but saved me $100 and I got to learn things, cut things, burn things and hammer things. All in all, a solid move.
DPDISXR4Ti
Site Admin

Re: Junkyard Shopping List - Feel free to contribute

Post by DPDISXR4Ti »

RatFink wrote:
DPDISXR4Ti wrote: '85 - '87-ish Nissan 300 ZX Turbo Compressor housing
Question? did the 300z turbos vary from year to year? I have a pair from one and they are small T25's .48 A/R
What you've got is from the later ('90+) style car that had twin T25 turbos. The '85 - '89 car was entirely different and had a single T3, but the compressor housing I'm talking about was only used on the earlier of those cars, roughly '85 - '87.
Brad
DPDISXR4Ti
Site Admin

Post by DPDISXR4Ti »

milehighXR wrote:
DPDISXR4Ti wrote:
deathbypsi wrote:What about a factory posi out of late model Camaro 10 bolt rear ends?
Does "10 bolt" = 7.5" GM 26-spline rear-end?
It doesn't have to be limited to Camaros; it's basically any GM 7.5 rear-end with a 3.23 or higher ratio (numerically). The S10 and Blazer are other possible donors.

All that said, bear in mind that it's not a plug-n-play swap.
So How do I identify this in the yard(by the door tags)?
I seem to recall that there is a tag in the glove-box of GM's that provides the details on ratio and open or LSD. I don't recall the details, but it's probably something that can be found on some GM-related site.

Again though, bear in mind, this is not a plug-n-play swap - details are best discussed in another thread. I'm not sure if all the details have been discussed here - try searching for, amoung other things, "Eaton". (i.e. Eaton is the OEM supplier of most GM LSD's)
Brad
milehighXR
Level 7
Level 7

Post by milehighXR »

I tried aking at one GM forum and got a big nothin'. It seems that they are dumb, or don't want to answer Q's. Will try others. I know it is not plug and play, but it would be easier than drilling the ring to match a Ford Trac-Loc. Also the Ford Trac-Loc has to be machined about 3/16" in total on the bearing ends to fit the Merk case.

Looking in the glove box is a lot better than opening the diff case only to find it''s not what I want.
Johnny

1 86 XR aka Naomi- my first love, now daily driven project

DCLXVI
deathbypsi
Level 3
Level 3

Post by deathbypsi »

The GM posi is the correct 26 spline,the Ford 7.5 and 8.8 are not. They are 28 spline.
Brian R.
86 SVO
milehighXR
Level 7
Level 7

Post by milehighXR »

Oh yeah, forgot to mention I'd have to make stubs :roll:
Johnny

1 86 XR aka Naomi- my first love, now daily driven project

DCLXVI
whitelx
Level 7
Level 7

Post by whitelx »

milehighXR wrote:
DPDISXR4Ti wrote:
deathbypsi wrote:What about a factory posi out of late model Camaro 10 bolt rear ends?
Does "10 bolt" = 7.5" GM 26-spline rear-end?
It doesn't have to be limited to Camaros; it's basically any GM 7.5 rear-end with a 3.23 or higher ratio (numerically). The S10 and Blazer are other possible donors.

All that said, bear in mind that it's not a plug-n-play swap.
So How do I identify this in the yard(by the door tags)?
RPO G80

It could be the locking eaton differential, which is OK, or could be a positraction differential (better for us). The posi will usually be in cars while the locking differential will be in trucks. You'll want to verify the spline count. Early vehicles had 26-spline, which is what we want, while later models will have 28-spline.
1986 XR4Ti - 294rwhp/315ft-lbs
1992 Mustang 5.0 notch - 434rwhp/445ft-lbs
http://www.youtube.com/user/whitelx
DPDISXR4Ti
Site Admin

Post by DPDISXR4Ti »

As per the recent thread in the photo/project section....

'93 - '98 VW Jetta and Golf front bumper
Last edited by DPDISXR4Ti on Fri Nov 13, 2009 9:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Brad
EVIL_XR4
Level 7
Level 7

Post by EVIL_XR4 »

Hey guys, i'm going "shopping" tomorrow, and i'm curious if anyone has used Sable/Taurus wheels? They were listed in a post and i believe a lot of them are 16s....how does the spacing work with those wheels?

Anybody got any last minute additions to the list before i go?
Mike McCreight
Level 7
Level 7

?

Post by Mike McCreight »

Tempo wheels work, but I think all the Taurus stuff was 5 bolt. Not 100% sure on that, but I bet anything 16" is 5 bolt.
It's not a hobby, it's an obsession!
worked_xr
Level 7
Level 7

Post by worked_xr »

Taurus wheels won't work on XRs... maybe on Scorps though?
whitelx
Level 7
Level 7

Post by whitelx »

Look for Saab 900s and 9000 and Thunderbird Turbo Coupes. They have a 4x108mm bolt pattern and the correct offset.
whitelx
Level 7
Level 7

Post by whitelx »

worked_xr wrote:Taurus wheels won't work on XRs... maybe on Scorps though?
nope not on Scorpios either. The Taurus has a 5x108mm bolt pattern.
CV12Steve
Level 7
Level 7

Underhood light

Post by CV12Steve »

These lights are a GM unit, found on fullsize trucks and Cutlass Supremes (and maybe others), and feature a 20 foot retractable extension cord. The back of the light fixture has a magnet mounted on it for easy, no hands lighting. Just stick it anywhere you need it. Great for a flat tire, the cord is long enough to reach to the trunk. When you're done, simply crank the handle to retract the cord back in to the housing. Several detail changes over time, but all function the same. At least some have mercury switches.
Stephen
EVIL_XR4
Level 7
Level 7

Re: Underhood light

Post by EVIL_XR4 »

CV12Steve wrote:These lights are a GM unit, found on fullsize trucks and Cutlass Supremes (and maybe others), and feature a 20 foot retractable extension cord. The back of the light fixture has a magnet mounted on it for easy, no hands lighting. Just stick it anywhere you need it. Great for a flat tire, the cord is long enough to reach to the trunk. When you're done, simply crank the handle to retract the cord back in to the housing. Several detail changes over time, but all function the same. At least some have mercury switches.

I wired up a 100w headlight bulb under the hood of my Mustang. I originally wanted to run it with a mercury switch but because of the power it draws i went with a toggle. When you turn it on the whole engine bay lights up.