back home safe....

Discussion topics related exclusively to our annual gathering in Carlisle PA on June 1-3, 2007.
Merkur Club web site
KingpinCEO
Level 7
Level 7

back home safe....

Post by KingpinCEO »

im back in NYC safe.. i got back early this morning...

:cry: my car broke down on the highway in PA.. my TB plate butterfly bolts broke.

a few MCA guys saw me and stopped and asked if i needed help.

thanks guys!... :D

i ghetto rigged my TB back together and broke down again 100miles down the road :roll: the TB plate broke again and i assume the boost musta jammed the plate wide open in the Throttle bore and my car was stuck WOT !! :shock:
i was in the middle of nowhere when it happened that time.. so i powershifted into 5th.. and drove about 20 miles with my foot on the brakes while in 5th gear.

i shut the car off and rolled into a McDonalds someplace in lehighton, PA,..and i had the car towed to my parents house in the poconos. my girlfriend gave me a ride back to NYC.

thanks again to the small convoy that stopped and checked up on me... i dont know all of your names.. i noticed paul west, and the merkxler guy, and the other guy who takes pics and puts them in the newsletters.

8)
:wink:
1985 Merkur XR4Ti - 2.5 ranger block greyhound bus turbo
1988 Mercedes Benz 190e - awaiting airbag suspension
2005 Dodge Magnum - 336,000 Mile Daily driver
2008 Subaru Legacy GT - crazy loud boxer rumble
2009 Suzuki GSX650F - crotch rocket

ig: @DJ_Kingpin
DPDISXR4Ti
Site Admin

Post by DPDISXR4Ti »

Bummer that fix didn't hold up KP :x Did that little replacement bolt you used snap also? Did the motor eat anything? I know you said it didn't on the initial failure - hope you dodged that bullet twice. I'd venture to guess that it was binding up somewhat and that's what caused it to fail in the first place. Probably best to just throw the whole thing in the trash. No, no,no, not the car! :shock: Just the TB! :lol:

How much did that traffic suck!? :evil: Worst ever!!! :x :x :x
Brad
Merkur

Post by Merkur »

Good to hear that you're safe and the car will be vacationing in the Poconos. That was a strange failure - never heard of that before. I guess your brakes need doing now too!

Great to see you again. That was one hell of a drive home wasn't it? Thank goodness we didn't have that weather at Carlisle!
Paul "the Brit" West
Doylestown, PA
MerkurScorpio
Level 5
Level 5

Post by MerkurScorpio »

Sounds like quite a trip you had there Kingpin. I'm glad to hear you made it back safe.

Any word on how Scott Williams made out getting back to NJ with his new water pump?
-Paul-Michael Van Hook, Northeastern PA
'89 Merkur Scorpio "HookSport"

Paul-Aaron Zachary Van Hook is one year old! Born 11/4/2009!

My Facebook page
DPDISXR4Ti
Site Admin

Post by DPDISXR4Ti »

MerkurScorpio wrote:Any word on how Scott Williams made out getting back to NJ with his new water pump?
Scott was one of the four of us who stopped when we saw KP on the side of the road. As expected, Scott was fine with his new water pump. It was the water falling out of the sky in buckets that was the bigger issue for the second half of the trip. Can you say... Hydroplane???
Brad
KingpinCEO
Level 7
Level 7

Post by KingpinCEO »

the little replacement bolt i put on didnt come off.. it just didnt hold the little bar that snapped across the throttleplate. had i used a washer, maybe it woulda held up better.

the motor didnt eat anything.. possibly some microscopic fragments of metal... when i put everything back together i'll look for any internal damage.

atleast i got closer to my parents house and used my free AAA towing.

im thinking since the 65mm tb broke... maybe its time for 75mm? :D
1985 Merkur XR4Ti - 2.5 ranger block greyhound bus turbo
1988 Mercedes Benz 190e - awaiting airbag suspension
2005 Dodge Magnum - 336,000 Mile Daily driver
2008 Subaru Legacy GT - crazy loud boxer rumble
2009 Suzuki GSX650F - crotch rocket

ig: @DJ_Kingpin
DPDISXR4Ti
Site Admin

Post by DPDISXR4Ti »

KingpinCEO wrote:im thinking since the 65mm tb broke... maybe its time for 75mm? :D
Nah, won't do anything for ya. Hell, Joe Morgan made 400HP with a stock 50mm TB. The only question now is, do we add "Throttle Body" to the list of spares to carry??? :dunno
Brad
MagentaRed
Level 5
Level 5

Post by MagentaRed »

Yes the "guy who takes pictures and puts them in the newsletter" made it back to NJ with his new water pump. Thanks for asking, Paul. As Brad said the rain was much more of a problem as visibility and in some areas, traction, was close to zero. Finally got the coolant level to remain steady on Monday morning by overfilling it and then siphoning off the excess. Seems OK now. Thanks to all of you on the showfield for your help with the water pump. Saul Rivkin, Paul West, Mark Hamilton, Brad Anesi, Jim Gosses, Chris Senior and all who lent a hand or tools to get it installed. We really do have a great community here.
Scott Williams
Roseland, New Jersey
1989 Merkur Scorpio, Strato Silver Auto-Flex High Gloss Coating, euro headlamps, euro tail lamps, custom wheels
2019 Ford Flex SEL, AWD, SYNC3, Pwr. Liftgate, Premium Audio
2014 Ford Flex SEL, AWD, Towing, Appearance Pkg.
2000 Volvo SE, Our Florida Car
Merkurrz

Need Help?

Post by Merkurrz »

KingPin hit me on IM, I live in the Poconos now if I can help!
fastmaul
Level 7
Level 7

Post by fastmaul »

I know I'm a little late on this but,
OMG how freakin crazy was that rain!! and the traffic!! Visibility was almost zero especially at night. Most of my way home after the traffic I hardly ever came out of 4th gear. Nonetheless, I made it home fine driving Taryn's car (ZTEE24).
KP good to know you're back home safe and sound with your fuzzy slippers on while smoking your pipe in your velvet smoking jacket. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Erik AKA MerkurSport's Bill payer. www.Merkursport.com The virtual Garage. Bring your own nudie calendar. You can now find MerkurSport on Facebook! http://www.facebook.com/pages/MerkurSpo ... 5756984607