Post Carlisle Survey

Discussion topics related exclusively to our annual gathering in Carlisle PA on June 1-3, 2007.
Merkur Club web site
DPDISXR4Ti
Site Admin

Post Carlisle Survey

Post by DPDISXR4Ti »

Another year over, a new one just begun... Yes, it's time for the annual post-Carlisle survey! Feel free to answer all or just some of the questions as you see fit - any input is better than none! Any and all feedback is appreciated - the good, bad, and ugly is all welcome.

1. In general, were you glad that you attended Merkurs at Carlisle 2007?

2. What did you enjoy most about the weekend?

3. What did you enjoy least?

4. Do you plan on attending in 2008?

5. What did you think of the Holiday Inn this year?

6. Please understand that any hotel can and will call the police if "we"
are doing burn-outs in the parking lot and/or are too loud at 2AM.
Given that, would you prefer to stay at the Holiday Inn again next year or stay at the Radisson in Camp Hill, located about 4 miles further away from Carlisle than the Holiday Inn? Assume a similar room rate.

7. Saturday night dinner banquet:

- Were you happy with the agenda, both in the pace of time and topics?
Why or why not?

- How was the food quality and selection overall?

- Any comments (positive, negative, improvements) about the MCA awards?

8. Was the MCA Carlisle planning website useful? What else would you like to see included?

9. What did you think of the MCA goody bag this year? Anything in particular you'd like to see in it next year?

10. Are you currently a MCA member? If not, what might cause you to become a member? If you are, what additional benefits would you like to see?

11. What if we were to begin having more informal gatherings every other year at Carlisle where we didn't have a dinner banquet? What would you think of perhaps having a DIY BBQ in the parking lot area Saturday night instead? Would you be more or less likely to attend? Is this a good idea?

12. Any other comments, suggestions, complaints not covered above - feel free....

Thanks for your feedback.
Brad
merkurdriver
Level 8

Re: Post Carlisle Survey

Post by merkurdriver »

DPDISXR4Ti wrote:12. Any other comments, suggestions, complaints not covered above - feel free....
"Mini" bar at the banquet entrance was a welcome addition! Sure beats the choices of water, tea or coffee.
mhamilton
Level 6
Level 6

Post by mhamilton »

I plan on attending next year, even if I still don't have a Merkur. 08 will be the 20th for the "Merkurs with too many doors". Should be fun to see more Scorpios at Carlisle.

The hotel was fine. I think the parking lot sessions are very important to most, so, IMO, either the HI or Radisson will do.

I'd like to see another Merkur as a door prize.

I love the I-70 convoy there. Only issue I have is it takes many hours away from the show on Friday.

I'd like to see Carlisle Productions move the cars around better. Like change the grouped cars location. Let us have the spots where the Fairlanes and Galaxies are shown. Basically to piss off the fairlane club.

I wish I could get Yuengling Beer and Utz Potato Chips in Ohio.
"Head for the Hills, the Town of Lompach is Under Water!"
ztee24
Level 5
Level 5

Post by ztee24 »

I thought that it was great this year as always.
I still think that they need to put us all together. The tweety birds (stangs) and other cars with us blended..we know we are the loudest (thanks Jen) group! haahaa

I loved the awards this year, they were good.

I love being able to speak about Rose, thank you again.

I loved the hotel rooms..beat last year with the ants in our beds.

I loved the ride as always...those back roads are the s#!+!

I loved the Merkur memory stick! That was great! I can give Lola the key chain, I am sure she would love to eat it.
DPDISXR4Ti
Site Admin

Post by DPDISXR4Ti »

ztee24 wrote:The tweety birds (stangs) and other cars with us blended.
Dunno if it was founded on anything real, but someone indicated that it was one of the yellow mustang people that was doing the complaining about us. See, that's the tough part - all it takes is one misplaced person complaining to the front desk and we're screwed. I'm half thinking we should take matters into our own hands and shoove notes under every door that's facing OUR parking lot. Something like....

WARNING! You are in a room which faces the Party Parking Lot. There will be all sorts of noise outside your door until, at a minimum, 3AM, possibly later. If sleep is in your plans this evening, you really should go back to the front desk and request a different room.
Thank you for staying at the Holiday Inn and have a nice day!

:twisted:
Brad
Ed Lijewski
Level 8

Post by Ed Lijewski »

I've wondered why this concept (if in more diplomatic yet still explicit legalese w/stipulations) can't be in an advance agreement between MCA and the host motel--in advance. It should be considered, seriously.

It also seems that any motel manager and any security or police personnel automatically assume a few individuals or, God forbid!, a large group, awake, stirring, and having fun at late night and early morning hours simply can't be up to no good . That disposition makes them likely to just want the individuals or group to disappear, pronto.

It could be possible to bring the motel management over to our side, so to speak, by repeating in advance communications with them that since nearly everyone comes from distant locations just for this event, and it is basically the only time each year people see each other face-to-face, that many of us look forward to evening and night hours as well as daylight hours to enjoy each othere's company and renew ties, and particulary Saturday nights.

So, maybe as well explore negotiating for the motel to hire a monitor (or "watchperson") just for the MCA area (I realize that's potentially a double-edged sword, but the upside would be that that individual would only cover the MCA area and would be an objective source/witness if/when anyone else raises unwelcome ruckuses). :wink:

YMMV 8)
Descartes: "Cogito Ergo Sum"
Lijewski: "Sum Ergo Drive-O. Mucho!
DPDISXR4Ti
Site Admin

Post by DPDISXR4Ti »

Ed Lijewski wrote:I've wondered why this concept (if in more diplomatic yet still explicit legalese w/stipulations) can't be in an advance agreement between MCA and the host motel--in advance. It should be considered, seriously.
Rest assured Ed, the placement of our block of rooms in the hotel was specifically discussed and agreed upon. One of the reasons Paul and I drove down to meet with the hotel was to address that issue specifically (amoung others). While I did get them to agree to several changes in the contract that I needed, they would only agree verbally to the room block location, explaining that were someone already in one of those rooms, they would not force them to move to another room. I understand that, but I highly doubt that was the situation here - they were just negligent in what that had committed to.

I'll learn from this, for sure. I could have been more diligent in making sure they held up their end of the deal, regardless of whether it was a verbal or contractual commitment.
Brad
Ed Lijewski
Level 8

Re: Post Carlisle Survey

Post by Ed Lijewski »

Yeah, but the heat/humidity sucked. Please arrange for more civilized meteorological conditions next year.

The working a/c in my car!

The ceremonies and banquet. Nicely done!!

The seemingly interminable wait in line to enter the banquet room. Why is that?? It's the same every year. There's got to be a way to to speed that up and still control entry to only those with legitimate tickets. That line moves slower than the line for foreigners with shady credentials entering the US at JFK.

If Norm and I and Scott are still above ground, we'll be there!

Banquet room was a bit tight; other things were fine.

Given that, would you prefer to stay at the Holiday Inn again next year or stay at the Radisson in Camp Hill, located about 4 miles further away from Carlisle than the Holiday Inn? Assume a similar room rate.

So many who remember the Radisson speak more than just fondly about the good times experienced there, it's time to revisit it.

Why or why not?

I thought it was handled very well, as well as these things can be. Kudos to all involved!

I found the food savory and well prepared. The desserts were to die for and ample, as well.

Why hasn't an award been given to Eric and Taryn for creating and supporting MerkurSport?? Talk about contributions to sustaining and building the Marque and the Merkur community! C'mon, MCA honchos; such official recognition is due, actually overdue.

8. Was the MCA Carlisle planning website useful? What else would you like to see included?

A good job is always done on this; much appreciated, too!

9. What did you think of the MCA goody bag this year? Anything in particular you'd like to see in it next year?

The goody bag itself was tres, tres chi-chi. I half expected it to contain a Tinkerbelle cousin; I'll be using the bag on my first trek to Bloomingdale's this weekend.

I just learned the little silvery thingy wasn't a fishing sinker/weight, or belt buckle. Now I have to buy a computer to be able to use it [:)].

The mini-tire is perfect to carry my nickel and dime bags of Mexican Gold, protected from the elements.

The goody bag should contain a razor blade to use to remove the Showfield stickers [:)].

An idea for next year is a key fob with LED monogrammed with MCA logo. There are some good ones (emit a lot of light and are long-lasting) on the market, that also stand out aesthetically and aren't expensive.

10. Are you currently a MCA member? If not, what might cause you to become a member? If you are, what additional benefits would you like to see?

I pony up.

[It's the cost of kvetching.]

11. What if we were to begin having more informal gatherings every other year at Carlisle where we didn't have a dinner banquet? What would you think of perhaps having a DIY BBQ in the parking lot area Saturday night instead? Would you be more or less likely to attend? Is this a good idea?

The banquet is a highlight, no doubt about it. And obviously, the drawing for door prizes is a STRONG attraction.

12. Any other comments, suggestions, complaints not covered above - feel free....

For the next banquet consider showing videos produced by attendees. No restrictions other than that they highlight the Merkur marque or the Merkur community or a single member of it, all in a positive way. Limited to no more than 5 minutes or less. Banquet attendees would vote for their favorite. MCA would present an award for the People's Choice and also for the one which best advances the Merkur community.

Ditto for best digital still photos (same ideas re Merkur themes...).

Anyone interested in trading whatever you have for several cans of "More Shine Less Time"? :roll:

Thanks for your feedback.[/quote]
Descartes: "Cogito Ergo Sum"
Lijewski: "Sum Ergo Drive-O. Mucho!
MerkurScorpio
Level 5
Level 5

Post by MerkurScorpio »

Yes indeed, we had a great time!

Seeing everyone and all the great cars.

Honestly, something we couldn't control...the heat!

We'll be there!

I think the Holiday Inn is the best place we've stayed yet.

I'd prefer we keep things at the Holiday Inn. Don't get me wrong, I love the Radisson in Camp Hill, but it's too far away in my opinion and the Holiday Inn just has better amenities.

Why or why not?

I thought the agenda was good and I had no problem with things going a little long. We had a great time.

The food itself was good, but I'd like to see a little better selectio next year.

I thought the awards were great, and I really appreciate the award we won for "Most Enjoyed Merkur!" The only addition I can think of is an award for "Most Driven Merkur" for the car that has the most verifyable mileage on the odometer.

It worked for me!

I love the jump drive! Excellent "goody." I would like to see a new Merkur Club decal next year though. That would rock!

Member for life!

I like the way we do things at Carlisle already. The dinner is one of most enjoyable things all weekend, so I wouldn't want to see it go. Maybe a DIY BBQ on Friday night would work though.

Carrie and I and my parents had a great time and are already looking forward to next year. We'll have the Scorpio there for the big 20th Anniversary celebration for sure. Can't wait!
-Paul-Michael Van Hook, Northeastern PA
'89 Merkur Scorpio "HookSport"

Paul-Aaron Zachary Van Hook is one year old! Born 11/4/2009!

My Facebook page