I-70 Convoy Information

Discussion topics related exclusively to our annual gathering in Carlisle PA on June 6-8, 2008.
Merkur Club web site
anglin
Level 7
Level 7

I-70 Convoy Information

Post by anglin »

Since Brad is just going to tease with his post on the Carlisle 2008 hotel thread ( http://forum.merkurclub.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=10904 ) then I am going to be the first to post actual information.

There will be a party at my place Thursday night before Carlisle. We'll eat dinner and hang out in my front yard. If you want detailed information, join the I-70 Convoy Mailing List on yahoogroups.com (I don't like giving directions to my house on this open forum).

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/i70-convoy/

How about it, Brad? I beat you to the punch with actual information. (Of course, I get to cheat because we do almost exactly the same thing each year.)
Anglin email: - anglin at mc2racing.com
www.mc2racing.com
EVIL_XR4
Level 7
Level 7

Post by EVIL_XR4 »

I'm looking into getting time off work to attend...hopefully by then i've got some things sorted out on my car and it'll make the trip.

How many people do you expect to be meeting up? I assume we'll all cruise down together?
DPDISXR4Ti
Site Admin

Re: I-70 Convoy Information

Post by DPDISXR4Ti »

anglin wrote:How about it, Brad? I beat you to the punch with actual information.
For this transgression, I'll be required to beat you with a tire iron to get even. It's only fair... :twisted:
Brad
anglin
Level 7
Level 7

Post by anglin »

EVIL_XR4 wrote:How many people do you expect to be meeting up? I assume we'll all cruise down together?
We typically get about a dozen cars or so at my place. We've had a lot more than that on bigger years, but it's always worth the trip up to my place Thursday night, even if you don't go to Carlisle.
www.mc2racing.com
deathbypsi
Level 3
Level 3

Post by deathbypsi »

In Dayton you say? That aint too far from Toledo{which I can smell from my driveway}

Any newbie hazing?
Brian R.
86 SVO
DPDISXR4Ti
Site Admin

Post by DPDISXR4Ti »

deathbypsi wrote:Any newbie hazing?
Well, it wouldn't really be newbie hazing if you were told in advance. :P
Brad
EVIL_XR4
Level 7
Level 7

Post by EVIL_XR4 »

deathbypsi wrote:In Dayton you say? That aint too far from Toledo{which I can smell from my driveway}

Any newbie hazing?

It's cool....us noobs will band together :thumb
deathbypsi
Level 3
Level 3

Post by deathbypsi »

Thats cool,but I aint to worried......6ft tall at 260lbs seems to keep most people in line :wink:

I am really lookin forward to this weekend!

Is this convoy a nice layed back group or will it turn into Cannonball 08? :twisted:
Brian R.
86 SVO
Colin
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Colin »

My 6'4" 300lb self might have to get involved in your hazing. :lol:

Jerry keeps the convoy moving at a steady 65 mph pace. You can hang out near the back, where the accordion effect makes higher speeds possible. :)

Colin
Instagram @colinrdoyle
89 Scorpio 2300-16V // 07 F-650 Cummins // 00 Beetle TDI
File to fit, paint to match.
EVIL_XR4
Level 7
Level 7

Post by EVIL_XR4 »

I've never been anywhere through PA, so how far of a drive is it? Are we talking about a straight shot, not stops, one tank of fuel?
anglin
Level 7
Level 7

Post by anglin »

EVIL_XR4 wrote:I've never been anywhere through PA, so how far of a drive is it? Are we talking about a straight shot, not stops, one tank of fuel?
The last leg of the convoy on Friday is about 415 miles. That's a fill up before you hit the road and one other en route unless your Merkur gets about 30 mpg. Of course you will have many opportunities to fill your tank on the way (just do it when you get off at the exit, not when everybody is waiting on you to get back on the highway). I think Jerry plans 3 or 4 fuel stops every year to compensate for knuckleheads who forget to fill up at a stop or those whose Merkurs get substantially-less-than-stock gas mileage.

Regarding the speed on the convoy, we do have CB radios which leads to "safer" areas for speed. On the return trip one year I used the CB radio to make sure I was "safe" to test the maximum speed that my CB antenna magnet would hold the antenna to the car. Most of the time we are doing about the speed limit.
www.mc2racing.com
merkurmaniac
Level 5
Level 5

Post by merkurmaniac »

For this transgression, I'll be required to beat you with a tire iron to get even. It's only fair...
Brad, are we talking one of those stock XR lug wrenches, a cross type lug wrench, or perhaps a big ole' solid iron one from say... an 80's GM product. I am just trying to understand what Chris is in for....

I dare say that the stock XR tire iron ain't so formidable looking.
DPDISXR4Ti
Site Admin

Post by DPDISXR4Ti »

merkurmaniac wrote:
For this transgression, I'll be required to beat you with a tire iron to get even. It's only fair...
Brad, are we talking one of those stock XR lug wrenches, a cross type lug wrench, or perhaps a big ole' solid iron one from say... an 80's GM product. I am just trying to understand what Chris is in for....

Good point. I'd have to go with one of those long ones from a truck - they provide the best leverage. :P
Brad
anglin
Level 7
Level 7

Post by anglin »

merkurmaniac wrote:Brad, are we talking one of those stock XR lug wrenches
DPDISXR4Ti wrote:Good point. I'd have to go with one of those long ones from a truck - they provide the best leverage.
Thanks Richard.
www.mc2racing.com
topher_csr
Level 3
Level 3

Post by topher_csr »

i just requested to join the group. i was really excited when i heard that we were stopping in indy at the track. i have been to the last two US Grand Pix, ( Formula One), and they took the race away this year so i have some extra money to play with that i would have used for the race but now it is for carlisle. i live in St. Louis so i will be able to start the convoy with you guys. is the convoy for just merkurs or could we let a SVO join us, its stock so most of us should be able to take him, if he wants to go, have'nt asked him yet. i am really stoked for the convoy and for carlisle, now when you said a lap around indy, is that in a bus or in our cars, because the day before all of the F1 stuff started in indy you could take your own car on the road course, i did not have my car or else i would have been all over that.
Chris
86 xr4ti-
Front Mount Intercooler, Turbonetics Super 60 Turbo, External Wastegate, XS Power Exhaust Manifold, Intake, 3" downpipe, LB2 and big VAM

All kids play with cars, the unlucky ones grow out of it.