Merkurs at Carlisle 2008 post-event Survey - Please reply!

Discussion topics related exclusively to our annual gathering in Carlisle PA on June 6-8, 2008.
Merkur Club web site
DPDISXR4Ti
Site Admin

Merkurs at Carlisle 2008 post-event Survey - Please reply!

Post by DPDISXR4Ti »

Another year over, a new one just begun... Yes, it's time for the annual post-Carlisle survey! Feel free to answer all or just some of the questions as you see fit - any input is better than none! Any and all feedback is appreciated - the good, bad, and ugly is all welcome.

1. How many Merkurs at Carlisle events (including 2008), have you attended?

2. From an overall enjoyment perspective, would you say this year was better, worse, or about on average with previous years? Why would you say this was the case?

3. Do you plan on attending in 2009? If not, why?

4. What did you think of the Radisson this year? Would you like to return there next year? If not, where would you prefer and why?

5. What did you think of this year's cocktail hour / awards ceremony vs. the dinner we've had in previous years? What would you prefer for next year?

6. Was the MCA Carlisle planning website useful? What else would you like to see included?

7. What did you think of the MCA goody bag this year? Anything in particular you'd like to see in it next year? Would you prefer to see the items imprinted with our logo again next year, or doesn't it matter? (didn't have time this year)

8. Will you use the lapel pin we handed out this year? Would you like to see us have ones made up that say "XR4Ti" or "Scorpio" or ???

9. What did you think of this year's T-shirt? For next year, if the option was a $30 shirt with original artwork (by an artist) or a $20 shirt with somewhat amateur artwork, which would you buy? If "neither", that's an acceptable answer - we don't have to have a t-shirt.

10. Would you like to see something scheduled for Sunday morning to encourage more people to stay through the end of the weekend? If so, what would you suggest?

11. For a variety of reasons, the technical seminars seem to have lost interest over the last few years. Going forward, would you like to see a greater emphasis placed on those? If so, what topics/presenters would you recommend?

12. Any other comments, suggestions, complaints not covered above - feel free....

Thanks for your feedback.
Brad
merkurdriver
Level 8

Post by merkurdriver »

1. 11

4. Yes, best hotel ever - great police-free parking lot
DPDISXR4Ti
Site Admin

Post by DPDISXR4Ti »

merkurdriver wrote:4. Yes, best hotel ever - great police-free parking lot
Must have been the t-shirts. They figured the place was already adequately covered with security personnel. :lol:
Brad
Ed Lijewski
Level 8

Post by Ed Lijewski »

~ Five (not sure).

2. From an overall enjoyment perspective, would you say this year was better, worse, or about on average with previous years? Why would you say this was the case?

The heat beat me down on Saturday so I left the field shortly after I got there (!). It was damn hot even under the MCA canopy.

Sure.

4. What did you think of the Radisson this year? Would you like to return there next year? If not, where would you prefer and why?

Damn nice room (don't know if all the rooms along the rear parking lot were the same)--Sleep Number bed soothed these ole bones.

5. What did you think of this year's cocktail hour / awards ceremony vs. the dinner we've had in previous years? What would you prefer for next year?

It was nice and a nice change of pace. Do it again next year.

6. Was the MCA Carlisle planning website useful? What else would you like to see included?

It had everything there one needed (even though I missed one or two key steps and needed to be redirected to them :oops: )

7. What did you think of the MCA goody bag this year? Anything in particular you'd like to see in it next year? Would you prefer to see the items imprinted with our logo again next year, or doesn't it matter? (didn't have time this year)

Man, I can't imagine anyone/ANYONE using up that spray bottle of dash polish in less than, um, 10 years. Not a product of much use/interest to me.

8. Will you use the lapel pin we handed out this year? Would you like to see us have ones made up that say "XR4Ti" or "Scorpio" or ???

The pin was very nice. But, also very small. I would like to see pins for XR4Ti and Scorpio, and even for Merkur.

9. What did you think of this year's T-shirt? For next year, if the option was a $30 shirt with original artwork (by an artist) or a $20 shirt with somewhat amateur artwork, which would you buy? If "neither", that's an acceptable answer - we don't have to have a t-shirt.

I've never been into the T-shirt thing. In spite of that, this year's design
struck me as strange. I wondered who the intended market for it was?

10. Would you like to see something scheduled for Sunday morning to encourage more people to stay through the end of the weekend? If so, what would you suggest?

Yes. An easy (maybe) idea/event would be a basic breakfast (American style). Maybe even at the Showfield? (Make an ararngement with one of the vendors there...?)

11. For a variety of reasons, the technical seminars seem to have lost interest over the last few years. Going forward, would you like to see a greater emphasis placed on those? If so, what topics/presenters would you recommend?

The answer is a no-brainer: yes. Consider having them other than on the showfield. The hotel parking lot, e.g.; the showfield offers too much distraction/competition for attention. I'll wager a large bet with anyone that tech seminars at the parking lot would be resounding success.

12. Any other comments, suggestions, complaints not covered above - feel free....

A low-key event of some sort for Friday evening would be welcome, just to pull people together for a short while.

Thanks for asking!

YMMV 8)
Last edited by Ed Lijewski on Thu Jun 19, 2008 4:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Descartes: "Cogito Ergo Sum"
Lijewski: "Sum Ergo Drive-O. Mucho!
jasonty
Level 6
Level 6

Post by jasonty »

I concur w/ all of Ed's replies below.

Ed Lijewski wrote: 10. Would you like to see something scheduled for Sunday morning to encourage more people to stay through the end of the weekend? If so, what would you suggest?

Yes. An easy (maybe) idea/event would be a basic breakfast (American style). Maybe even at the Showfield? (Make an ararngement with one of the vendors there...?)

The answer is a no-brainer: yes. Consider having them other than on the showfield. The hotel parking lot, e.g.; the showfield offers too much distraction/competition for attention. I'll wager a large bet with anyone that tech seminars at the parking lot would be resounding success. anyone a large

A low-key event of some sort for Friday evening would be welcome, just to pull people together for a short while.
jason yancey
stephens city va
87XR-88XR
NOVAMOG

"as long as you keep picking on me I will tend to mad post about me getting mad......"
Stealth_xr
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Stealth_xr »

1. 2008 is my first year

2. see above

3. Yes I am planning on attending.

4. I definately thought the parking lot deal was awesome. I didn't stay at the hotel but next year i plan to no matter where it is. the cop free Part was also very awesome. I think the radisson worked out very well.

5. I think it was cool but i have nothing to compare it to. My feeling is a dinner would be better.

6. I didn't really go through it but i just looked at it and it is very well done and thorough.

7. It was cool. I do think things with the merkur logos would be better.

8. I really like the pin

9. I think it was a cool Idea. I personally would rather an xr shirt but i'm a bit biased being an xr only owner haha. I think 2 shirts should be offer with XRs and scorps or even one shirt with both. I'm a bit of an artist my self so I'd be willing to draw it up for free.
Quick samples
A custom 67 camaro
I actually don't really like civics but I decided on drawing a custom one
A painting i did a couple years back

10. I'm always for more group activities.

11. There was seminars?

12. Pm me and let me know if your interested in me drawing up something for shirts
DPDISXR4Ti
Site Admin

Post by DPDISXR4Ti »

Stealth_xr wrote:I'm a bit of an artist my self so I'd be willing to draw it up for free.
Excellent, we'll be in touch. :D How are you with getting your stuff to vector graphics (EPS, AI, etc) format? That's where we always seem to have a skill-set disconnect.
Brad
MerkurScorpio
Level 5
Level 5

Post by MerkurScorpio »

DPDISXR4Ti wrote:
Stealth_xr wrote:I'm a bit of an artist my self so I'd be willing to draw it up for free.
Excellent, we'll be in touch. :D How are you with getting your stuff to vector graphics (EPS, AI, etc) format? That's where we always seem to have a skill-set disconnect.
Wow Stealth, you have some serious skills! That Camaro is especially nice.

BTW Brad, I will do the survey soon! I swear!
-Paul-Michael Van Hook, Northeastern PA
'89 Merkur Scorpio "HookSport"

Paul-Aaron Zachary Van Hook is one year old! Born 11/4/2009!

My Facebook page
MerkurScorpio
Level 5
Level 5

Post by MerkurScorpio »

Yikes, is anyone else going to take the time to do this survey. Hop to it lol!

A: This was my 7th year at Carlisle (same goes for my parents), the 3rd year for my wife Carrie, and the 1st for our friend Ray.

A: I think this year was on par with years passed. The heat was a killer, but obviously the MCA couldn't do anything about that. Everyone's help over the weekend with our tranny problems was gratefully appreciated. Shows how great this community is and what Carlisle is all about.

A: We will be there 110%

A: Overall, I think the Radisson in Camp Hill is the nicest of all of the hotels we have stayed at for Carlisle weekend. That said, I wish it were a little closer to the showfield.

A. The cocktail hour was fun, and a nice way to switch things up, but honestly I think I'd prefer doing a dinner. Even if it's just hot dogs and hamburgers, that would be my preference.

A. The Carlisle planning site is always very helpful. I make use of it every year!

A. I liked the goody bag. I would love to see MCA-branded items again though, especially decals (got to show my club support!).

A. The lapel pin was probably one of my favorite things in the goody bag. Since we did the MCA logo this year, maybe XR4Ti and Scorpio lapel pins would be a good idea for next year.

A. I think the shirt this year was quite humorous, but I'm not sure it really conveys to the general public what the MCA and the Merkurs themselves are all about. Amateurish artwork is fine with me though. Looking back though, my favorite t-shirt was from 2000.

A. I stay for Sunday every year and think that by Sunday we're all so pooped that having another big event might be a bit too much. Every year, that's the morning I sleep in a little to rest up for the trip home. Something on the showfield might be fun though during the afternoon. One thing I really miss are the club/group photos. It's always great to get EVERYONE together in a single shot with as many Merks in the background as possible.

A. I actually really wanted to get to Saul's seminar, but I got sidetracked. I do think we need to promote the seminars a little better though. Maybe a Friday and/or Saturday night seminar might be better attended?

A. 2008 was another job well done by the MCA. Kudos everyone!
-Paul-Michael Van Hook, Northeastern PA
'89 Merkur Scorpio "HookSport"

Paul-Aaron Zachary Van Hook is one year old! Born 11/4/2009!

My Facebook page
jasonty
Level 6
Level 6

Post by jasonty »

in regard to number 9: how about "biggest club.......yet again!"

jason yancey
stephens city va
87XR-88XR
NOVAMOG

"as long as you keep picking on me I will tend to mad post about me getting mad......"
KingpinCEO
Level 7
Level 7

Post by KingpinCEO »

1. 5 since i started in 2004

2. worse. best year was 2005. i predict 2nd best will be 2010

3. will attend 2009

4. hice hotel, suggest it for nextyear also.

5. the food was disgusting.

6. planning site was very helpful.

7. the goodie bag was great.. car detailing stuff was wonderful.
The Alternator/battery checker was a cool idea, but im not sure how many of our merks have properly functioning cigarette lighters.... i know both of mine dont.

8. nope.. i dont use lapel pins.. i think i already lost mine.
i was planning on using it as a thumb tack.

9. shirts.. very ugly color, and overpriced.

10. breakfast... free breakfast.

11. dont care for seminars.

12. good job MCA.

your welcome.
1985 Merkur XR4Ti - 2.5 ranger block greyhound bus turbo
1988 Mercedes Benz 190e - awaiting airbag suspension
2005 Dodge Magnum - 336,000 Mile Daily driver
2008 Subaru Legacy GT - crazy loud boxer rumble
2009 Suzuki GSX650F - crotch rocket

ig: @DJ_Kingpin
xrian
Level 7
Level 7

Re: Merkurs at Carlisle 2008 post-event Survey - Please repl

Post by xrian »

DPDISXR4Ti wrote:Another year over, a new one just begun... Yes, it's time for the annual post-Carlisle survey! Feel free to answer all or just some of the questions as you see fit - any input is better than none! Any and all feedback is appreciated - the good, bad, and ugly is all welcome.

-all but one

-average. Low attendance

- maybe if not Rallying

- best of the 3 we've been at. Stay there.

- nice and short. Crapy snacks though. Stop patting each other on the back.

-never used it but I'm sure it does help those in need.

-DAMN. more detailer! Yes on imprinting (they become collectors items)

-Yup. It's on my rally hat for Targa.

-FUGLY! Go back to the way they were.

-wouldn't do anything for me as we leave due to the very long drive home.

- I offered to do a talk on Targa and the build up of the rally car but.............. Oh well.

-keep us going!!

Ian G-J
Ontario, Canada
Stealth_xr
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Stealth_xr »

I haven't used vector graphics don't know much about it but i got a year to learn i guess just PM me with which program is preferred and i'll learn it. I have a nack for those things. I just swapped schools this year and i'll be going back to school for Industrial Design instead of mechanical engineering. I think most of the major is cad based which i'm relatively adept at, its been awhile tho.

As Far as dinners and things i think a cookout is the way to go. In all honesty we should just have a cookout on both friday and saturday. Maybe people donate meats and buns i'd be down to cook Maybe we should figure out where they have propane in the area. Burgers, dogs, suasage, and bbq chicken is never a bad time.
- Jon
1987 Stealth Interceptor (XR)
1971 Chevy Nova
1992 Audi 80 Quattro
1978 F150 "Death Truck"
Stealth_xr
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Stealth_xr »

Yah after everything this year i'll definately be staying at the hotel. Driving back to my tent at carlisle sucked at 2 am. I got pulled over on sat night for 50 in a 35. I'll give props to the copper though ihe let me off.
- Jon
1987 Stealth Interceptor (XR)
1971 Chevy Nova
1992 Audi 80 Quattro
1978 F150 "Death Truck"
DPDISXR4Ti
Site Admin

Post by DPDISXR4Ti »

Stealth_xr wrote:I haven't used vector graphics don't know much about it but i got a year to learn i guess just PM me with which program is preferred and i'll learn it.
I don't know much about this sort of stuff, but I know Adobe Illustrator is what Bil Hoorman always used. EPS (Enhanced Postscript) file format is the one that the silk-screeners like to use, and I know AI can output to that or it's own (AI) format.
Brad