AutoX Returns to Carlisle in 2009!

Discussion topics related exclusively to our annual gathering in Carlisle PA on June 5-7, 2009.
Merkur Club web site
DPDISXR4Ti
Site Admin

AutoX Returns to Carlisle in 2009!

Post by DPDISXR4Ti »

After an absence of seven years, autocross is returning to Carlisle! Even better yet, it now will take place Sunday morning on the Carlisle property, rather than an off-site property as had occurred in the past.

AUTO-X, Autocross or a Gymkhana is a timed race through a course typically made up of traffic cones in a parking lot or dedicated road course – the best time without knocking over cones or going off-course wins! An XR4Ti or Scorpio can do well in this event – all you need to do is put some more air in the tires, figure out how to keep the boost up without triggering the rev limiter in the power making gears and drive like a madman! It’s safe, challenging and a lot of fun – winner gets bragging rights that should last for months!

Cost will be $20 for 3-4 timed runs - first cars will go off at 10AM on Sunday, but you should figure to be on the grounds by 9:30. There will be a sign-up during the show on Saturday as well as Sunday morning.

Details to follow!
Brad
JimG
Level 5
Level 5

Post by JimG »

Auto-X during the All-Ford events was always a lot of fun! It really challenges the handling abilities of our rides! My kids remember them as a time to see Dad in competition - now this year my son, Jimmy will also participate even though he will be driving his '99 Mustang GT - trying to beat Dad's time.
Jim Gosses
86 XR4TI, 165K, T-5, IC, RR, PBR Fronts, T-bird Rear Discs
yottabit
Level 5
Level 5

Post by yottabit »

Am I allowed to use my Saturn? hah
ztee24
Level 5
Level 5

Post by ztee24 »

I'm thinking about this....maybe I will go at it.
DPDISXR4Ti
Site Admin

Post by DPDISXR4Ti »

ztee24 wrote:I'm thinking about this....maybe I will go at it.
Dew it!!! Silence anyone who thinks your ride is "all show, no go". :twisted:
Brad
ztee24
Level 5
Level 5

Post by ztee24 »

HAAHAA....
I guess you made me decide. Erik was telling me about it too.
I should start practicing in a Target parking lot with cones. HAAHAA
Ed Lijewski
Level 8

Post by Ed Lijewski »

Write a note to yourself on a Post-it stuck on the insdie of the windshield:

"Remove red peep-toe stilletos before launch."

YMMV 8)
Descartes: "Cogito Ergo Sum"
Lijewski: "Sum Ergo Drive-O. Mucho!
Grayson
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Grayson »

Since the Carlisle autocross disappeared several years ago now, let me say for the Merkur owners that have cropped up the past few years that this event is a BLAST whether you enter the autocross or just be a spectator. It is so cool to see nothing but Merkurs (and maybe a handful of other Fords) tearing it up one after another. The variation in everyone's mods makes for all sorts of interesting sounds and visuals. Plus, there are some fast Merkurs that tend to lay down some rubber, such as Cliff Walton's Godfrey-built V8 car, and of course Godfrey's own car. Peter Denbigh has probably ran also, though his car wasn't what it is now. It's a great time.

This is a very fun event that is ran with the assumption that you don't know what you're doing. So, if you haven't autocrossed before, it's OK. There is lots of unconventional instruction, and lots of people to help you. In all honesty, if you're going to drive to Carlisle, you owe it to yourself to drop a twenty and give this a go. You really don't get the opportunity to tear it up with a bunch of Merkurs outside of the Carlisle autocross. If you choose to sleep in on Sunday, you're really missing out, and if you simply watch the Carlisle autocross, you're going to be kicking yourself wishing that you could enter the ring with the rest of the bulls. This event is suited for everyone whether you have a bone-stock XR or, uh, my car.

Just don't sign up expecting to win. I'll be entering </gauntlet>
Ed Lijewski
Level 8

Post by Ed Lijewski »

What're the odds of entries in this this event being dominated by other Fords--so it may take longer to participate; it is open to anyone, not just Merkurs, right? Wrong? [Dunno.]

YMMV 8)
Descartes: "Cogito Ergo Sum"
Lijewski: "Sum Ergo Drive-O. Mucho!
Grayson
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Grayson »

Traditionally the Merkur owners dominate this event, both in terms of number of entrants and elapsed times. They've had some pretty swift Focuses and Mustangs too, yet the Merkurs always tend to come out on top.

I would expect there to be far more Merkurs than other marques this year also.
yottabit
Level 5
Level 5

Post by yottabit »

You should start selling tickets to ride shotgun in your car Grayson... can I get first dibs? :lol:
DPDISXR4Ti
Site Admin

Post by DPDISXR4Ti »

The wild-card, as compared to past years, is that the event will be held on the Carlisle property rather than off-site. It remains to be seen what sort of turn-out we'll see from the rest of the "Ford family" in attendance. In speaking with Carlisle, they're being a little cautious in the level of promotion they're doing with this. Frankly, I think they're a little scared and would prefer a smaller turn-out for the first time at the Ford show.
Brad
Grayson
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Grayson »

Is the CVCC involved with the actual execution of the event? If so, the event should be fine. In fact, compared to the attendance of an normal event, the Carlisle autocross should be a scrimmage at best for the CVCC.

I also don't think they can get into too much trouble with the course that they have. There aren't many variations you can have with that setup, and they're all amenable to a smooth flow of runs. If Carlisle is tentative about anything, it should be regarding their underinvestment in a properly-sized area for motorsport.
DPDISXR4Ti
Site Admin

Post by DPDISXR4Ti »

Grayson wrote:Is the CVCC involved with the actual execution of the event?
Execution, yes. Marketing and promotion, no.

It would be nice if the course could have been longer, but available acreage was the limiting factor, as was the desire to keep speeds moderate. As it was, the Carlisle inspector who allowed them to build this "track" was relieved of his position immediately after it's completion. Apparently, the town council was not interested in seeing any sort of facility built for the means of high speed driving.
Brad
DPDISXR4Ti
Site Admin

Post by DPDISXR4Ti »

I spoke too soon... (never mind that they've incorrectly got the SCCA running the event insteald of the CVCC)

http://www.carlisleevents.com/ce/events/ford-nationals/

AUTOCROSS – SUNDAY
Hosted by SCCA Susquehanna Region and Appalachian Sports Car Club

The Susquehanna Region of the SCCA and its chapter club, the Appalachian Sports Car Club will host autocross on Sunday at 10am. Each participant will get three runs of three-laps against the clock. Instructors will be available to help you explore new levels of performance for you and your car. Registration is required at the SCCA tent, next to the track. The charge for each entry is $20. Participants must be at least 18 years old and have a current driver’s license. For complete details, visit the SCCA tent at the All-Ford Nationals.
Brad