2010 Carlisle Autocross

* Merkur 25th Anniversary * Topics related to our annual gathering in Carlisle PA on June 4-6, 2010.

Moderators: DPDISXR4Ti, Merkur

Merkur Club web site
TommyT
Level 2
Level 2

Post by TommyT »

What time and what day?
Tommy
Howell, NJ USA
SARON81
Level 5
Level 5

Post by SARON81 »

TommyT wrote:What time and what day?
Not sure of this year... but last year was Sunday starting early (9am I believe) and having a few sessions throughout the day. I'd advise getting there early to make sure you get a spot (or at least the one you want.)
TommyT
Level 2
Level 2

Post by TommyT »

Sounds like a plan. Thanks for the info.
Tommy
Howell, NJ USA
Grayson
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Grayson »

You can also sign up on Saturday at the Merkur tent, which is what I did last year. If you keep in touch with me over Carlisle weekend I'll assist you in knowing where you need to be and what you need to do. There is nothing complicated about the Carlisle autocross, but if you haven't autocrossed a lot, things may feel a bit unsettling...much like anything else you try for the first time in life.
TommyT
Level 2
Level 2

Post by TommyT »

Grayson wrote:You can also sign up on Saturday at the Merkur tent, which is what I did last year. If you keep in touch with me over Carlisle weekend I'll assist you in knowing where you need to be and what you need to do. There is nothing complicated about the Carlisle autocross, but if you haven't autocrossed a lot, things may feel a bit unsettling...much like anything else you try for the first time in life.
This sounds good. Thanks.

Tommy
Tommy
Howell, NJ USA
Grayson
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Grayson »

So, who's in for the autocross? Anglin and I should be running the blue mc²racing car, Tommy Tocco should be there in his Sierra Cosworth, Andrew West said he's in, and Dave from Northwest Ohio said he's in. Last year we also had Terry Watson, Nick Saron, George Schultz, Jeff Labonte, Jonathan Saffian, Erik Cotos, and Bob Saffian. Rob Booth seems to think that Chris Beyem should be whipping out that Silver turbocharged 331 V8 NASA AIX Mustang again, so we've got our target!

Last year there was a Taurus and a Thunderbird in the top 10 of the All-Ford Nationals autocross. Let's dust off the Merkurs and prevent that travesty from happening. We need some people to represent in their Scorpios too. We usually had a few Scorps running in the autocross, but there were none during last year's "first autocross in years".

Speak up if you're in!
SARON81
Level 5
Level 5

Post by SARON81 »

Are they definately doing it this year? I don't see it on the schedule anywhere?
DPDISXR4Ti
Site Admin

Post by DPDISXR4Ti »

SARON81 wrote:Are they definately doing it this year? I don't see it on the schedule anywhere?
Whatchu talkin about Willis???

http://www.carlisleevents.com/ce/events/ford-nationals/

HAVE YOU RACED A FORD LATELY – SUNDAY AUTOCROSS
Hosted by the Cumberland Valley Corvette Club

The only thing better than a show-ready Ford is a show-ready Ford on the race track! The on-site Carlisle Autocross allows drivers to run the road course and compare their times to each other. Registration is required and will be available at the track on Sunday only, beginning at 10 am. The charge for each vehicle entry is $20. You will be able to make 3 timed runs consisting of 2 laps each. Times will be provided to compare with other drivers. Drivers must have a legal state driver’s license. There will be no classes or awards. This is strictly for fun and bragging rights.
Brad
anglin
Level 7
Level 7

Post by anglin »

Grayson wrote:Anglin and I should be running the blue mc²racing car
Yay! :applause
Anglin email: - anglin at mc2racing.com
www.mc2racing.com
TommyT
Level 2
Level 2

Post by TommyT »

I'm in for this. I just hope I don't embarrass the Cosworth marque too much.
Last edited by TommyT on Sat May 29, 2010 11:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tommy
Howell, NJ USA
ex_are_four_tea_eye
Level 1
Level 1

Post by ex_are_four_tea_eye »

How picky are they on the rules for this? What do they look for when they inspect the cars?

I don't plan on changing anything before carlisle, so if my current setup is a "no-go" then oh well...
Grayson
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Grayson »

They're not going to be too picky at all. They just want to make sure that there is nothing that will hurt you or hurt others. So, they'll make sure that your interior has been cleaned out thoroughly, make sure you have nothing in the back, make sure your wheels don't wiggle by hand, and make sure that you're battery is held down tight. That's really about it. There are some really beautiful cars that compete in the autocross, but there are some hack beaters also. Looks and execution don't mean much - the inspection is really focused on safety.

I'm not sure I've ever seen someone fail an autocross inspection in 11 years of racing. Most of the time the only warnings I overhear are "get rid of that phone in your passenger seat", or other stuff like that.

It looks like I need to make some new parts for my blue car, so I'll probably be driving my bone-stock '88 XR at the autocross. We're talking functioning A/C, 5.5" stock basketweaves and street tires. So, if you ever want to lay the wood to an mc2racing guy, now is your chance! The good news is that I'll look WAY better in my white car. :D
TommyT
Level 2
Level 2

Post by TommyT »

Grayson wrote:They're not going to be too picky at all. They just want to make sure that there is nothing that will hurt you or hurt others. So, they'll make sure that your interior has been cleaned out thoroughly, make sure you have nothing in the back, make sure your wheels don't wiggle by hand, and make sure that you're battery is held down tight. That's really about it. There are some really beautiful cars that compete in the autocross, but there are some hack beaters also. Looks and execution don't mean much - the inspection is really focused on safety.

I'm not sure I've ever seen someone fail an autocross inspection in 11 years of racing. Most of the time the only warnings I overhear are "get rid of that phone in your passenger seat", or other stuff like that.

It looks like I need to make some new parts for my blue car, so I'll probably be driving my bone-stock '88 XR at the autocross. We're talking functioning A/C, 5.5" stock basketweaves and street tires. So, if you ever want to lay the wood to an mc2racing guy, now is your chance! The good news is that I'll look WAY better in my white car. :D
Is your guarantee to win from post #1 still in effect ??? :poke
Tommy
Howell, NJ USA
ex_are_four_tea_eye
Level 1
Level 1

Post by ex_are_four_tea_eye »

what about a helmet? Will they have any I can rent? Or where would be a good place to buy one?
Ray
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Ray »

Grayson wrote:
That's funny. I think i've failed 10 cars last season alone. Most of them were able to fix what was wrong and come back to verify. A few of them had problems that were safety issues (bubble on the sidewall, etc).
-Ray
1985 Ford F150 - Tow Missile
1985 Merkur XR4Ti -#141 CP "Miss Daisy"
2005 Subaru LGT
http://www.cartct.com