Official Road Report Thread

Discussion topics related exclusively to our annual gathering in Carlisle PA on June 7-9, 2013.
Merkur Club web site
MerkurManPaul
Level 1
Level 1

Official Road Report Thread

Post by MerkurManPaul »

I decided to create this thread this year so folks living along popular routes to Carlisle can inform others of road hazards. If you live along a route traveled by fellow Carlisle-goers, and you've seen some road issues that could be a problem, let everyone know here!
-PM (formerly MerkurScorpio)
2015 Ford Fiesta SE
MerkurManPaul
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Official Road Report Thread

Post by MerkurManPaul »

I'll start

I-81 through the Scranton, PA, area between exit 194 (Clarks Summit/PA Turnpike) and the I-81/84/380/6 split (mile marker 188).

This 6 mile stretch is an absolute disaster. I highly advise all drivers using this route to take extreme caution, especially at night. The road has numerous large potholes and exposed expansion joints, and snakes around closed sections of road with seeming reckless abandon. Two lanes are open in both directions, but in some spots they are very poorly marked. Also, driving northbound, the right lane at Exit 190 often comes to a sudden stop, as there is no separate exit lane and the exit itself includes an immediate 90-degree turn.

If you want to bypass this section of road altogether, you can take the PA Turnpike from Clarks Summit to Pittston and vice versa. I have included maps below explaining what to do...

Southbound: http://goo.gl/maps/rDSPb

Northbound: http://goo.gl/maps/1brJ0

These maps will get you around the construction and quite probably save you some headaches. It will cost $2.00 in tolls each way (have quarters or singles ready...booths are NOT manned), but it's worth it. Mileage-wise, it's actually a bit shorter. It might be down to one lane in some spots, but there is so little traffic on this stretch of the Turnpike it's almost guaranteed NOT to be an issue. Just be sure to adhere to the posted limits...the police are always out in force.
2015 Ford Fiesta SE
MerkurManPaul
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Official Road Report Thread

Post by MerkurManPaul »

To those traveling south on I-81 through PA...

At mile 137 the highway is down to one lane in both directions, and there is a crossover to the northbound lane.
2015 Ford Fiesta SE