12 Weeks to go!!!

Discussion topics related exclusively to our annual gathering in Carlisle PA on June 5-7, 2015
Merkur Club web site
DPDISXR4Ti
Site Admin

12 Weeks to go!!!

Post by DPDISXR4Ti »

There's over a foot of snow in my backyard as I type this, but the 30th Anniversary Party of Merkur is now only 12 weeks away! Yes, that means there is now less than 3 months to get ready!

No excuses, this is not the year to miss the big show. Given how many cars have fallen off the road over the past ten years, this is quite likely the last time you will ever see over 100 Merkurs in one place. Ever. In the history of the world forever.

If you need to get your car ready, start working on it now like it needs to be ready in 2 weeks. Trust me, 12 weeks will turn into just 2 weeks in no time at all. Myself and many others know this to be true.

Most everything you need to know about the big show can be found here:
http://merkurclub.com/carlisle2015/carlisle2015.htm

If you still have questions, don't be shy, ask away.
Brad
merkurdriver
Level 8

Re: 12 Weeks to go!!!

Post by merkurdriver »

DPDISXR4Ti wrote: this is quite likely the last time you will ever see over 100 Merkurs in one place. Ever. In the history of the world forever.
Truth.
boost_is_fun
Level 1
Level 1

Post by boost_is_fun »

Gosh I hope I can make it. I won't be home until late april though, and my car absolutely needs a turbo rebuild, suspension work, through-out bearing/possible input shaft, and either U-joints or a guibo before I would even remotely consider driving that car all the way to Carlisle from Colorado. That doesn't even include all of the body work it needs; hood, drivers side fender, grill, front bumper, and a new driver's side door. Stupid deer. How judged would I be if I took a car with major exterior work needed? because I can neither afford the cost, nor the time investment to get the exterior of that car even remotely decent before June. (Not to mention I've never done any bodywork in my life)
Connor
'89 XR 254000 miles. Stock (until spring, then poor college student mods begin)
'99 Audi B5 A4 2.8 v6 (Technically my dad's, but he doesn't drive it)
Since I'm a Noob, i'll put an apology for dumb questions down here. I'm 19 and completely self-taught
DPDISXR4Ti
Site Admin

Post by DPDISXR4Ti »

boost_is_fun wrote:How judged would I be if I took a car with major exterior work needed?
You might win an award! This is not a "Pebble Beach" type show. Yes, there will be some really nice cars, but everything is welcome, encouraged even.

For your car, just focus on fixing/replacing the stuff that could leave you stranded - a guibo replacement is a no-brainer for sure, just make sure it's aligned properly.
Brad
boost_is_fun
Level 1
Level 1

Post by boost_is_fun »

That's good, hopefully I'll be able to make it.
Connor
Since I'm a Noob, i'll put an apology for dumb questions down here. I'm 19 and completely self-taught
merkurdriver
Level 8

Post by merkurdriver »

All you have to do is get there / be there. As mentioned - everything from beaters to trailer queens welcome :)
boost_is_fun
Level 1
Level 1

Post by boost_is_fun »

Unfortunately, I won't be able to make it :( My parents aren't comfortable with the idea of me driving my merkur from Colorado, I'll be 19, but since I need my parents help for college, and I need to work, it just simply won't happen. I was looking forward to meeting a bunch of fellow merkur enthusiasts, but I'll just enjoy the pictures from afar, and work on getting my XR more roadworthy. Maybe in a few years, if there's still much a showing by then.
Connor
John Brennan
Level 8

Post by John Brennan »

boost_is_fun wrote:Unfortunately, I won't be able to make it :( My parents aren't comfortable with the idea of me driving my merkur from Colorado, I'll be 19, but since I need my parents help for college, and I need to work, it just simply won't happen. I was looking forward to meeting a bunch of fellow merkur enthusiasts, but I'll just enjoy the pictures from afar, and work on getting my XR more roadworthy. Maybe in a few years, if there's still much a showing by then.
Can you take the funds you would have spent for the road trip and grab an airline ticket? You'd probably find it less expensive.
This is my car, and these are my people!
2015 Fiesta ST
2020 Edge 2.0 Ecoboost
DAReese
Level 7
Level 7

Post by DAReese »

Where did the convoy from out west start? You wouldn't be by yourself then.
David Reese

88 XR4Ti - mono white T5, someday to be bi wing
89 Scorpio - waiting on some parts before it hits the road again
88 XR4Ti - mono red C3, parts car
used to own 86 dark blue traded in on a min van, what was I thinking?
DPDISXR4Ti
Site Admin

Post by DPDISXR4Ti »

DAReese wrote:Where did the convoy from out west start? You wouldn't be by yourself then.
It *may* start from Los Angeles if Steve K. decides to drive rather than fly.
Brad
Ed Lijewski
Level 8

Post by Ed Lijewski »

Speaking Cali and Steve, anyone heard from CV12 Steve in recent months?

YMMV 8)
Descartes: "Cogito Ergo Sum"
Lijewski: "Sum Ergo Drive-O. Mucho!
John Brennan
Level 8

Post by John Brennan »

Ed Lijewski wrote:Speaking Cali and Steve, anyone heard from CV12 Steve in recent months?

YMMV 8)
Now that you mention it, no. He passed through here on his way home from Texas with a nice Scorpy he bought several months ago, but I haven't heard from him since.
2015 Fiesta ST
2020 Edge 2.0 Ecoboost
Ed Lijewski
Level 8

Post by Ed Lijewski »

Again? He bought a black Texas Scorpio ~4 years ago.

YMMV 8)
Descartes: "Cogito Ergo Sum"
Lijewski: "Sum Ergo Drive-O. Mucho!
John Brennan
Level 8

Post by John Brennan »

This was no more than a year ago.
2015 Fiesta ST
2020 Edge 2.0 Ecoboost
boost_is_fun
Level 1
Level 1

Post by boost_is_fun »

I'd love to go, either driving or flying, but since I'd need some financial help from my parents, and they don't want me to go, it just isn't likely to happen. Maybe I'll get supremely lucky and they'll change their minds, but I just don't see it. Especially driving, as my particular XR hasn't seen an easy life, and has been particularly unreliable in just nickel and dime problems.
Connor