Duratec 2.3 engine swap

Documenting your big project with photos/videos? Have photos/videos to share of anything Merkur related? Place your links to photos and videos here. Please - Merkurs and Merkur-related pictures only. Cosworths welcome!!
Carlisle and event related pictures are to be placed in the relevant section under 'Events'.
Merkur Club web site
RatFink
Level 4
Level 4

Duratec 2.3 engine swap

Post by RatFink »

Simple drop in? I think not. I finally got some time to work on my project and here is what I found. The factory oil pan interferes with fitment. specifically the oil pump and pickup. This engine is tall. with the pan off and pickup removed I was able to fit it under the hood. I will be cutting the pan and fabricating a new pickup. The oil pump is visible in the first pick poking out of the block directly above the steering rack.
this second picture is the back of the head and the firewall.
DPDISXR4Ti
Site Admin

Post by DPDISXR4Ti »

Nice to see someone take the initiative and dump a Duratec into the engine bay. I see the word "Focus" on that
engine - is it a 2.3 out of a Focus ST? Maybe all you need is the pan and pick-up out of a Ranger?

Are you planning on getting the T5 bell from Quad4?
Brad
janvanv
Level 6
Level 6

Post by janvanv »

DPDISXR4Ti wrote:Nice to see someone take the initiative and dump a Duratec into the engine bay. I see the word "Focus" on that
engine - is it a 2.3 out of a Focus ST? Maybe all you need is the pan and pick-up out of a Ranger?

Thanks, good to see nice words about trying to do something even if it was nearly 4 years ago and itrs only been posted here maybe 2 or 4 times.
Didn't have a digital camera then but I seem to recall a better fit with the sump on.
John Vanlandingham
JVAB Imports
Seattle, WA, USA
RatFink
Level 4
Level 4

Post by RatFink »

It's on the floor of my living room. :D
BeefFajitas
Level 6
Level 6

Post by BeefFajitas »

What motor mounts are you using? Can you raise the engine up?
-Nate
'85 Merk. Back together. Only thing stock is the head and block.
anglin
Level 7
Level 7

Post by anglin »

janvanv wrote:Thanks, good to see nice words about trying to do something even ... and itrs only been posted here maybe 2 or 4 times.
Link or STFU. :o
Anglin email: - anglin at mc2racing.com
www.mc2racing.com
DPDISXR4Ti
Site Admin

Post by DPDISXR4Ti »

anglin wrote:
janvanv wrote:Thanks, good to see nice words about trying to do something even ... and itrs only been posted here maybe 2 or 4 times.
Hell, if the project was started four years ago, certainly someone with a bazillion years of experience actually working
on cars would have finished it by now. No doubt, there should be several videos of it, but I just can't seem to find them
on this Interweb thing. :dunno
Brad
Rocky Leitch
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Rocky Leitch »

Thanks for the photo's of your project, Ratfink.
Some questions from me; looking at the whole shot
of the engine bay, can the engine be moved forward to
accept the modifications that you need to do? Are you planning
to put a Turbo on it in the future? And something my guy pointed out,
where does the water return sit?
I know guys, I'm not a self-wrencher. That is why all of you are
my ace in the back pocket so to speak.

:D

Rocky
Hellooo Nurse!!
SoKalXR
Level 2
Level 2

Post by SoKalXR »

So What do we have to do to get this project back on path? I noticed that you live in San Ber too! I'm in So Cal as well and would love to come check out what you've got done!

Also, are you going to put a Mazda Head on it and turbo that bad boy or what?
janvanv
Level 6
Level 6

Post by janvanv »

anglin wrote:
Fawk you.:D
And STFU :D
Last edited by janvanv on Sat Sep 22, 2007 12:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
John Vanlandingham
JVAB Imports
Seattle, WA, USA
janvanv
Level 6
Level 6

Post by janvanv »

DPDISXR4Ti wrote:
anglin wrote:
Hell, if the project was started four years ago, certainly someone with a bazillion years of experience actually working
on cars would have finished it by now. No doubt, there should be several videos of it, but I just can't seem to find them
on this Interweb thing. :dunno
No you misundertand, but at least you're not an obnoxious prick about it presuming that every agonizing detail of everything one does must be recorded AND linked on the Intra-web to have any use, validity or truth.

When I recieved a Full Duratec for another project, the first thing I did, and I've posted this in the past several times so I guess i could say SEARCH NOOBS, was to strip the motor, bang the sump back on (it was rwd Ranger motor) and with the assitance of Scott Koch, one of the boys building a rally car here, we lifted in the block/sump and checked the positioning.
We blocked it up and dropped the hean and cam cover on and looked around.

Looked like an easy deal.

It went into a Capri in the end.

Sop when you said "Nice to see someone take the initiative and dump a Duratec into the engine bay." I was just (obviously I thought) poking fun since I already "dumped" one in years ago. Indeed, been on the look out for a core RWD motor for quite a while and fellow PNW Xr guy and neighbor "Frag" just called on Wednesday to say theres a pick up t our local favorite yard with a Duratec.

See? We've been looking at these a LONG time.
(The Duratec in the Capri was normal aspirated for rally, and the normal stuff i do: forged H beam rods, CP forged pistons, wicked cams from Kent, steel flywheel etc.
John Vanlandingham
JVAB Imports
Seattle, WA, USA
RatFink
Level 4
Level 4

Post by RatFink »

What motor mounts are you using? Can you raise the engine up?
I am fabricating custom mounts, So it can go anywhere. The problem is hood clearance. See pick...
So What do we have to do to get this project back on path?
Wait for November for the racing season to come to an end, then I should have some more time.
looking at the whole shot
of the engine bay, can the engine be moved forward to
accept the modifications that you need to do? Are you planning
to put a Turbo on it in the future? And something my guy pointed out,
where does the water return sit?
Moving the engine forward could be an option, but not one I am willing to take. I would still have to fab a pickup and cut the pan. Plus it moves the weight the wrong way. I already have a Garret gt28 ready when I get around to welding up a manifold. You can see where the water exits the back of the head (up agenst the firewall) in the second picture. Not a big issue for me.
Rocky Leitch
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Rocky Leitch »

Thanks for the response.

Rocky
Hellooo Nurse!!
fastmaul
Level 7
Level 7

Post by fastmaul »

Nice work,
I think I have pics of when Phil at PM Motorsports was/is working on one I think last couple years. Why isn't it finished? Well, he can only work as fast as the customer pays.
Erik AKA MerkurSport's Bill payer. www.Merkursport.com The virtual Garage. Bring your own nudie calendar. You can now find MerkurSport on Facebook! http://www.facebook.com/pages/MerkurSpo ... 5756984607
janvanv
Level 6
Level 6

Post by janvanv »

To the original poster:
What you going to do for RODS, PISTONS, and FLYWHEEL?
John Vanlandingham
JVAB Imports
Seattle, WA, USA