Tell me about your audio setup

XR4Ti / Sierra / Sierra Cosworth Discussions - Questions, problem resolution, general talk, technical tips and modifications.
Merkur Club web site
EVIL_XR4
Level 7
Level 7

Tell me about your audio setup

Post by EVIL_XR4 »

When i got my XR it had the stock cassette deck in it, but to my surprise there's an old school 100w amp and 25wx4 EQ all wired up and hidden under the passenger seat. The rear speakers are some old Pyle Driver's but they're blown, so i'm gonna put some budget Sonys in it for now. Eventually i'm probably going to put a small sub in the back but just the front and rear speakers for now with the stock cassette deck and my iPod playing through that.

How do i get in to the front speakers to change them?
hEaT
Level 7
Level 7

Post by hEaT »

I pulled out the lower dash to get to the front speakers.

Currently I'm running the stock tape deck, broken antenna and one stock speaker in the passenger front. It HITS!
MerlinMerkur
Level 7
Level 7

Soundz

Post by MerlinMerkur »

yep, drivers side is eay to get off, pass harder BUT you dont have to take it out to replace them. As long as you arent a water buffalo. Im 200 lbs and 5'11 I was flexible enough to get on up under thur and change without injury. They are a weird size though, I cheated and put in:

5X7 2 ways (45watt 02' OE Ford truck fronts)
6x9 3way Sony Xplodez mounted on the rear deck
rears boosted by a 250watt amp
Main deck is a 06' Sony 500 series (purty nice) cd/mp3/etc etc, bells and whistles.

I cant shake ghettovilles windows or rattle my license plate but I can hear it cleary doin 115 with all the windows down.

IMO, I'd add something in the door panels.. even if only some really high rec tweeters, just something to create depth and an even sound radius in the car. But do forget the sub.. you dont need it in an XR at all.
Hatchback = subwoofer with less show :twisted:
~Travis
87.5 Mono XR- LA3, FMIC, Adj Cam, Gillis, CAI/Cone, +15% rates - Koni adj, Coss frnt/rr sways, rr brc., Ported manis, 3" DP w/dualz, PBRs, rear disks and enough gadjets and switches to make Batman jealous! And more comin! Speak up.
Frag
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Frag »

hEaT wrote:I pulled out the lower dash to get to the front speakers.

Currently I'm running the stock tape deck, broken antenna and one stock speaker in the passenger front. It HITS!
This was my setup for quite awhile in my silver 86.

Now I have 3 speaker action going on in my black 88
:)
Mike McCreight
Level 7
Level 7

?

Post by Mike McCreight »

Don't try the door panels. Pop one off to see why. :shock:
There's pics of my setup on my site.
It's not a hobby, it's an obsession!
EVIL_XR4
Level 7
Level 7

Post by EVIL_XR4 »

What's up with the 5x7s up front and the little 4'' or whatever they are in the back?? That's kinda ass backwards. I'm probably going to replace the little speakers in the back and add a small sub...i'm not talking about the vibrate the ghetto sub...i do like some thump but it's not necessary to hear it 4 blocks away. I'm thinking maybe a very nice quality 8'' or 10'' in a small box. The speakers in the front are 3 way Pioneers and they sound pretty good but the tape deck has to go.
John Brennan
Level 8

Post by John Brennan »

I've got a full 3" exhaust from turbo to tailpipe with a Magnaflow muffler and a 3", straight-through, high-flow cat.
This is my car, and these are my people!
2015 Fiesta ST
2020 Edge 2.0 Ecoboost
MerlinMerkur
Level 7
Level 7

sound system

Post by MerlinMerkur »

John Brennan wrote:I've got a full 3" exhaust from turbo to tailpipe with a Magnaflow muffler and a 3", straight-through, high-flow cat.
Brennan you noob, you must think your a comedian as well as a mechanic!! lol.. Pick one, the other has been tried and found wanting!!
:D

heh.. magnaflow.. 12198!? :P Dual outs > single out :)
~Travis
87.5 Mono XR- LA3, FMIC, Adj Cam, Gillis, CAI/Cone, +15% rates - Koni adj, Coss frnt/rr sways, rr brc., Ported manis, 3" DP w/dualz, PBRs, rear disks and enough gadjets and switches to make Batman jealous! And more comin! Speak up.
John Brennan
Level 8

Post by John Brennan »

No-- I'm absolutely serious!

Edit: Oh, and if by ">" you mean you mean "weighs and restricts more," you're right!
Last edited by John Brennan on Tue Oct 16, 2007 2:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
This is my car, and these are my people!
2015 Fiesta ST
2020 Edge 2.0 Ecoboost
mikerobison
Level 2
Level 2

Post by mikerobison »

N/A, I have a beautiful singing voice.... In the Jungle the mighty, Jungle the lion sleeps tonight.... oh it is beautiful!
Ray
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Ray »

dual outs actually perform worse....

Anyway,

i'd lean away from the sony speakers for mobile audio.

for the fronts, if i wanted good sound i'd make my own speaker pods (probably kickpanels or similar), lose the rear speakers entirely most likely, and go with a single 12" or 10" or something sub fiberglassed to the side of the hatch so it looks oem.

or something to that effect.
-Ray
1985 Ford F150 - Tow Missile
1985 Merkur XR4Ti -#141 CP "Miss Daisy"
2005 Subaru LGT
http://www.cartct.com
SvoSierra
Level 5
Level 5

Post by SvoSierra »

Picked up some Cuspid 8" sub boxes on Evilbay for $20 + $20ish shipping. 15X6X9 boxes (from memory) so very compact. By no means powerful, but at least I have a little more thump now. WHEN (it's not a question of if) I blow the 8"ers, I already have boxes set to accept a tougher woofer. My 500 watt amp I have left from my Grand National is part of my winter project now. 8)
XR and Scorpio blower motor rebuilding, LED upgrades, XR lock service
DPDISXR4Ti
Site Admin

Post by DPDISXR4Ti »

John Brennan wrote:I've got a full 3" exhaust from turbo to tailpipe with a Magnaflow muffler and a 3", straight-through, high-flow cat.
Cool, more-or-less the same audio system I have. What is this "ipod" thing I hear people speak of any way??? :?
Brad
Silver SHO
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Silver SHO »

Bah, dont mess with the little stuff. Go all the way the first time and save your self the cash from buying the cheap crap and then later still buying nice stuff.

In my SHO.

Alpine CDA-9815
2: 6x9 3 way alpine type R ~150w each rms
2: Infinity kappa's 6.5 inch components with titanium tweets and matching crossovers.
1: Alpine MRP-F450 (450w) 4 way amp powering fronts and rear speakers.
2: Kicker L7's in Kicker slot ported box (cant remem feq.)
1: JBL Power 1200.1 Mono amp (benched at 1324w @.66 ohm)
1: 2.4 farad cap, (i know there basicly useless, but its allready in.)
And the best thing is I bought all this through ebay and the subs off a freinds son (Zared Bassett) And i have around $1400 in it. Retail is like 3500+ on everything with wires and all the little stuff you need. And it looks good and im not constantly changeing cheap crap out and wasting money on it. And it sounds amazing. Your nice home theater will sound like crap now!

BeefFajitas
Level 6
Level 6

Post by BeefFajitas »

I've had good luck with Polk 6.5" 2-ways. I have them front and back in my DD Honda. They make driving that sh*tbox bearable.
-Nate
'85 Merk. Back together. Only thing stock is the head and block.