Stinkin VC Gasket... Please advise.

XR4Ti / Sierra / Sierra Cosworth Discussions - Questions, problem resolution, general talk, technical tips and modifications.
Merkur Club web site
MerlinMerkur
Level 7
Level 7

Post by MerlinMerkur »

Frag wrote:Also the torque for the valve cover gasket is like really wimpy. I think it's somewhere in the teens.
You know when I took the VC back off for the 3rd time.. I noticed the screws were quite loose, at least one side of them were. I know I torqued the snot out of them when I put it on... seems like the gasket relaxed maybe and/or the rings squished.. something. You say teens.. in-lb or ft-lb.. I used a handy chart for fastener torq general and it said 3-4 ft-lb max, which isnt much at all.. my cheapo tor wrench doesnt even read that low reliably, so I wrist-guaged it. Still.. they loosened.
~Travis
87.5 Mono XR- LA3, FMIC, Adj Cam, Gillis, CAI/Cone, +15% rates - Koni adj, Coss frnt/rr sways, rr brc., Ported manis, 3" DP w/dualz, PBRs, rear disks and enough gadjets and switches to make Batman jealous! And more comin! Speak up.
Chuck W
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Chuck W »

I've never "glued" the Ford gasket to the V/C and have never had an issue installing it.

With all the problems I've had on the Tbird engine this year...it's been off and on at least 10-12 times.
"Strange women, lying in ponds distributing swords is no basis for a system of government. Supreme executive power is derived from a mandate from the masses, not from some farsical aquatic ceremony."
bw_krupp
Level 4
Level 4

Post by bw_krupp »

If you over torque the aluminum VC, the brass rings sink into the VC making the gasket un-reusable (and possibly the VC as well, since the brass rings will just sink in again next time), and also leading to leak. Hence why I like the stamped steel one better (and its lighter and looks better painted crinkle black as well).
Chuck W
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Chuck W »

bw_krupp wrote:If you over torque the aluminum VC, the brass rings sink into the VC making the gasket un-reusable (and possibly the VC as well, since the brass rings will just sink in again next time), and also leading to leak. Hence why I like the stamped steel one better (and its lighter and looks better painted crinkle black as well).
Those silly insert rings aren't in the Ford gasket...only in the POS Fel-Pro one.....
"Strange women, lying in ponds distributing swords is no basis for a system of government. Supreme executive power is derived from a mandate from the masses, not from some farsical aquatic ceremony."
DPDISXR4Ti
Site Admin

Post by DPDISXR4Ti »

Chuck W wrote:Those silly insert rings aren't in the Ford gasket...only in the POS Fel-Pro one.....
But Chuck, the Felpro one is blue - doesn't that count for something!? :bounce
Brad
Chuck W
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Chuck W »

DPDISXR4Ti wrote:
Chuck W wrote:Those silly insert rings aren't in the Ford gasket...only in the POS Fel-Pro one.....
Smurfs are blue too...and just as useless.
MerlinMerkur
Level 7
Level 7

Ford Gasket

Post by MerlinMerkur »

Here is the beauty in question... Cost me 38 bucks but... better than 8 crappy 16$ ones ehh.
Chuck W wrote:
DPDISXR4Ti wrote:
Smurfs are blue too...and just as useless.
I dont know, I hear they make good soup if you can catch them.

Extremely durable to install (OH and its not too long!!)

Another: Note the tabs that help keep it in place for install, yes please.
~Travis
87.5 Mono XR- LA3, FMIC, Adj Cam, Gillis, CAI/Cone, +15% rates - Koni adj, Coss frnt/rr sways, rr brc., Ported manis, 3" DP w/dualz, PBRs, rear disks and enough gadjets and switches to make Batman jealous! And more comin! Speak up.
XR4
Level 2
Level 2

Post by XR4 »

i got a cork one from advance yeah i thought "this is cheap" but it fit perfect it might be only a one time use but hey for $8.25or what ever it was i thought it was worth it was i wrong?
T3/T4 turbo, Stinger Performance manifold, FMIC, Knock off Greedy type s bov, T-5 trans, Steeda Short shifter, Stage 1 clutch, OBX FMU, adj Fuel pressur regulator, MBC, external wastegate, and a few problems. But i still love it WHY?
MerlinMerkur
Level 7
Level 7

Post by MerlinMerkur »

yes lol cork sucks.
Never use cork if you can help it imo.
And no way you could reuse it. Ford one looks like it could go 10 times reused and beefy as a longhorn steak 8 for 1 use... 38 (FordOne) = 4.5 of those corks per cost but... many uses.
lol use what you want!
~Travis
Frag
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Frag »

I would use a cork gasket over that $#!%^& floppy rubber thing any day. Of course why not just used the Ford thing with the metal skeleton?
:)
mikerobison
Level 2
Level 2

Post by mikerobison »

Not to throw too much into the mix....Victor valve cover gasket works perfect. I tried the blue Fel-Pro, and got the same results as you Travis, the Victor gasket fits like a glove.
jkxr4ti
Level 7
Level 7

Post by jkxr4ti »

Mike, does the victor gasket have a metal frame like the ford unit does? Could you let us know where you purchased it?
Jeremy Kemp

RIP: the Mutt….1988 XR4Ti Chestnut Brown/Spice Leather
MC2 Coilovers and Bushings, Contour Rims and Rotors, Ported Motorsport Head, Cosworth 4x4 Intercooler, Holset HY35 Turbo, 80LB Injectors, Megasquirt2 EFI
Frag
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Frag »

jkxr4ti wrote:Mike, does the victor gasket have a metal frame like the ford unit does? Could you let us know where you purchased it?
No.
:)
John Brennan
Level 8

Post by John Brennan »

Then it sucks! There's no point in buying it! The Ranger gasket with the metal "skeleton" does not need glue, can be used over and over again, and turns everything else on the market into a piece of crap in comparison!

Any more questions? :banghead
This is my car, and these are my people!
2015 Fiesta ST
2020 Edge 2.0 Ecoboost
ianb
Level 2
Level 2

Post by ianb »

just install my ford valve cover gasket...install was a breeze so far so good. there was a crappy cork gasket in there before which was garbage IMO..leaked all over the place