Pics of my cone filter hack job lol

Documenting your big project with photos/videos? Have photos/videos to share of anything Merkur related? Place your links to photos and videos here. Please - Merkurs and Merkur-related pictures only. Cosworths welcome!!
Carlisle and event related pictures are to be placed in the relevant section under 'Events'.
Merkur Club web site
EVIL_XR4
Level 7
Level 7

Pics of my cone filter hack job lol

Post by EVIL_XR4 »

It's not the best but it's a billion times better than the stock box was. I was curious though if anyone thinks that rubber elbow could actually collapse under hard acceleration? The part i don't like is that the filter is actually slipped over the rubber elbow...there's nothing hard in between them, but the clamp does tighten to a stopping point. I went and bought a cheap APC hard plastic 90* bend and tried it out but it wouldn't fit where i have the VAM mounted so i've gotta make another bracket to hold the VAM to use anything else. It's really tight right in front of where the elbow slips over.

Last edited by EVIL_XR4 on Sun Dec 23, 2007 1:09 am, edited 2 times in total.
hEaT
Level 7
Level 7

Post by hEaT »

Links no worky. I'd like to see it since I want to do the same thing.
EVIL_XR4
Level 7
Level 7

Post by EVIL_XR4 »

Oops sorry about that. I was rearranging pics in my photobucket account and i guess that killed the links.

What i did was take the stock lower tube that snakes up into the filter box and i cut the 90 degree bend out of it and that's what the filter is mounted to. An inner fender mounted filter would be way better but this will do for the time being.
hEaT
Level 7
Level 7

Post by hEaT »

Looks nice and clean. Filter looks like it has good placement too with the cold air duct there.
John Brennan
Level 8

Post by John Brennan »

You're off to a good start, but keep going. Make a "plenum"-- basically a partition that isolates the filter from the engine room air-- and it'll work a lot better for 'ya...
This is my car, and these are my people!
2015 Fiesta ST
2020 Edge 2.0 Ecoboost
Ray
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Ray »

cant fit the filter directly to the VAM?
-Ray
1985 Ford F150 - Tow Missile
1985 Merkur XR4Ti -#141 CP "Miss Daisy"
2005 Subaru LGT
http://www.cartct.com
EVIL_XR4
Level 7
Level 7

Post by EVIL_XR4 »

demonfire wrote:cant fit the filter directly to the VAM?

Well yes and no. The first problem is that the filter has a 3'' outlet and the VAM is something like 2.5'' or so, so i'd have to find the right size reducing coupler to make it fit. Secondly i've gotta make a different bracket to move the VAM back further because the filter won't fit.

While on that topic, does it matter if the VAM is mounted sideways or upside down?
milehighXR
Level 7
Level 7

Post by milehighXR »

EVIL_XR4 wrote:
demonfire wrote:cant fit the filter directly to the VAM?

Well yes and no. The first problem is that the filter has a 3'' outlet and the VAM is something like 2.5'' or so, so i'd have to find the right size reducing coupler to make it fit.
Or a big VAM...
Johnny

1 86 XR aka Naomi- my first love, now daily driven project

DCLXVI
EVIL_XR4
Level 7
Level 7

Post by EVIL_XR4 »

Does the big VAM have a 3'' inlet?
milehighXR
Level 7
Level 7

Post by milehighXR »

EVIL_XR4 wrote:Does the big VAM have a 3'' inlet?
DING,DING,DING,DING,DING!
Johnny

DCLXVI
EVIL_XR4
Level 7
Level 7

Post by EVIL_XR4 »

milehighXR wrote:
EVIL_XR4 wrote:Does the big VAM have a 3'' inlet?
DING,DING,DING,DING,DING!

:beats head

C'mon cut the rookie some slack..lol. How about the mounting position? Can i put it upside-down or sideways and it work ok?
milehighXR
Level 7
Level 7

Post by milehighXR »

Not that I am aware of. It could cause problems having it mounted sideways(inlet/outlet in the vertical postion). Upside down may not be an issue though. Others would know better than I. It will not fit the stock Merk bracket though.
Johnny

DCLXVI
EVIL_XR4
Level 7
Level 7

Post by EVIL_XR4 »

Yeah i'm gonna make a new bracket, and there's the two holes on the one side that the stock bracket bolts to, but they're on the 'driver's side' of the VAM in its stock orientation...it would be a lot easier to make if i could mount it upside down so they're facing the fender/shock tower. I'm just curious since there's a moving part inside there....i don't know how gravity will effect it if it's flipped over.
John Brennan
Level 8

Post by John Brennan »

The big VAM will too fit in the stock Merk bracket-- I've done it. Just enlarge the hole for the wiring plug upwards, and squeeze that baby in there-- it'll go, with a little bending and patience (I dunno, dinner, a movie, a few drinks back in the garage?). The stock inlet hose will also stretch to fit the large VAM opening also-- warm it up, a little lube... you know. :wink:
This is my car, and these are my people!
2015 Fiesta ST
2020 Edge 2.0 Ecoboost
EVIL_XR4
Level 7
Level 7

Post by EVIL_XR4 »

Well mainly i'm going to make a new bracket so that the VAM sits further back to make extra room up front for the CAI piping. Right now there's only a few inches in front of the VAM inlet to put anything....that's why i had to use that tight little 90 degree bend). If i make a new bracket (big or little VAM either one) to make it sit further back, i won't need such a tight bend and i could either put the filter right on the VAM or make a straighter shot with the piping going to the fender opening.