A "Starter" Home Machine Shop

The Club Water Cooler - Discussion of just about anything on your mind not Merkur related.

Merkur Club web site
DPDISXR4Ti
Site Admin

A "Starter" Home Machine Shop

Post by DPDISXR4Ti »

I wonder if he often get confused and forgets WHICH garage something is in??? :shock:

http://www.practicalmachinist.com/vb/sh ... p?t=124958
Brad
milehighXR
Level 7
Level 7

Re: A "Starter" Home Machine Shop

Post by milehighXR »

:shock: :headbang :headbang :headbang :headbang

I need a towel...
Johnny

1 86 XR aka Naomi- my first love, now daily driven project

DCLXVI
John Brennan
Level 8

Post by John Brennan »

Wow, me too... :oops:
This is my car, and these are my people!
2015 Fiesta ST
2020 Edge 2.0 Ecoboost
Mike McCreight
Level 7
Level 7

?

Post by Mike McCreight »

So, he seems to be a retired machinist...
Did he work for NASA?
Nice setup... And he actually seems to use it! :o
It's not a hobby, it's an obsession!
milehighXR
Level 7
Level 7

Post by milehighXR »

Makes my shop pale in compraison, but at least I can work inside with heat.

Johnny

DCLXVI
DPDISXR4Ti
Site Admin

Post by DPDISXR4Ti »

Before I bought my current house in 2001, I looked at a tiny, civil war built colonial - the house was maybe 1200 sq feet and had lots of character. The basement had 6-foot high ceilings, cause people generally just weren't taller than 6 foot back then. Everything about it was just tiny - too tiny - well, except for the garage....

The garage was a recently built 10-bay monstrosity, most of which had 14-foot ceilings. Two brand-new service lifts were already installed. There was unfinished living space above the garage, that exceeded the living space of the house.

The seller claimed that the property was priced at the cost to build the garage, which was probably a stretch, but not by much. It was totally built to town code as it existed at that time - the town changed their code after it was built, realizing they had left an unintended loophole.

Although I'm happy with where I live, I often wonder if I made the wrong choice. :?
Brad
milehighXR
Level 7
Level 7

Post by milehighXR »

I'm happy with what I have, and it would appear(from looking around town) that a bigger garage could be in my future. Just need to finance it somehow...
Johnny

DCLXVI
Mike McCreight
Level 7
Level 7

?

Post by Mike McCreight »

When we moved here I was sold by the garage... That was about as far as I went on the tour. It's just an ovesized attached double, but it's part of a cathedral roof structure, and it's 24' at the peak over my workbench. I get claustrophobic working in a place with a typical garage height ceiling. Lots of height for a 2 post hoist, and the steel beam for the winch is already there. It's got house on 2 sides, so heating it isn't a problem. The attics are walk ins, the one over the room beside the garage is 22' x 16' has a full floor, and is great for parts storage. There's about 3 XRs up there in boxes...
One day we'll move to a place with a smaller house, and a full sized shop. I'd build, but there's enough "pre-built" examples around here I'd happily settle for.
It's not a hobby, it's an obsession!
John Brennan
Level 8

Post by John Brennan »

I have a three-car-garage, which is nice, but since I'm renting this house, I can't really do anything to it... "One of these days, Alice... one of these days..!"
2015 Fiesta ST
2020 Edge 2.0 Ecoboost
milehighXR
Level 7
Level 7

Post by milehighXR »

Mine is techincally a 3 car, but it is configured to hold 2. i actually like this setup 30ft deep x 20ft wide. It gives me alot of shop space I wouldn't have otherwise.

If I can get funds, and town approval(no HOAs woohoo!) I want to rebuild it as a minmum 50ft deep x 30ft wide and 20-25ft interior ceiling. I want to get all my cars, and any trailers I may end up with inside.
Johnny

DCLXVI
GeneticRehab
Level 5
Level 5

Post by GeneticRehab »

I'm a member on that forum. Its a good place to learn alot of info. Nice place. I'm currently working on buying machines. I have plenty of tooling to get me going. I'm hoping to open a machine shop in the next 2 to 4 years. Its not easy though.
Jason Liss
1989 XR Still in pieces

1986 XR Sold!
John Brennan
Level 8

Post by John Brennan »

Well, my family got me a compressor and some air tools for Christmas, so I'm that much closer to my "Garage Majal!" :bounce

They also got me a 12-bottle wine cellar so's I can relax afterwards! :D
2015 Fiesta ST
2020 Edge 2.0 Ecoboost
MerkXRTurbo
Level 7
Level 7

Post by MerkXRTurbo »

I wonder if that guy has a room that he'd like to rent out. :shock:
3" mandrel bent exhaust, Ported/Polished head, 1.89/1.57 valves, Gutted uppper/Knife edge lower intake, T3/T4, LA3, Big VAM, Cold air intake, 40bob header, Gillis valve, Forge BOV, Mustang SVO T5, Conquest intercooler, 20psi.
Frag
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Frag »

Very nice. I love how orginazied it is! I can't honestly say I know where a thing is in my garage. It's also not so perfect that I wouldn't want to work in it... I really cant stand those garages that are more like a museum.
:)
milehighXR
Level 7
Level 7

Post by milehighXR »

Frag wrote: It's also not so perfect that I wouldn't want to work in it... I really cant stand those garages that are more like a museum.
Just like i can't stand those car that are so pristine, or have so much money tied up in them that I'd not drive them...
Johnny

DCLXVI