My outside driver's side door handle is breaking

XR4Ti / Sierra / Sierra Cosworth Discussions - Questions, problem resolution, general talk, technical tips and modifications.
Merkur Club web site
EVIL_XR4
Level 7
Level 7

My outside driver's side door handle is breaking

Post by EVIL_XR4 »

Yeah....the other day i went to open it and something popped....it still works, but now the handle sticks out/up a tad, and you can't turn the key in the lock unless you push it down. It's really obvious when you compare it to the passenger side too.

:evil: there's nothing worse than having to go through the passenger side to get into your car so please tell me there's an easy fix for this before it really breaks.
milehighXR
Level 7
Level 7

Post by milehighXR »

Replace the door handle, and don't pull on it when the door is iced shut, as me how I know... :banghead :beats head
Johnny

1 86 XR aka Naomi- my first love, now daily driven project

DCLXVI
EVIL_XR4
Level 7
Level 7

Post by EVIL_XR4 »

milehighXR wrote:Replace the door handle, and don't pull on it when the door is iced shut, as me how I know... :banghead :beats head

I believe that may be what did it. Now the really funny quesiton....where do i get another handle, and how do you replace it? :lol:
milehighXR
Level 7
Level 7

Post by milehighXR »

From any other Merkur. They interchange between both cars, but not sides of cars. It's self explanitory once you get the inner door panel off. The hardest part on replacing is getting the hook into the handle without breaking the handle. I've often thought about enlarging the hole, but I don't have anything to cover it with to keep from rusting.
Johnny

DCLXVI
anglin
Level 7
Level 7

Post by anglin »

milehighXR wrote:don't pull on it when the door is iced shut
If it feels like the door is frozen, I avoid pulling hard on the door handles by slamming the hatch. The sudden pulse of air pressure usually breaks the bond between the door and the door seal and the door opens without issue. Beyond that, replacement involves two phillips head screws holding the handle in place once you get the door panel off. The pain comes, as Johnny mentions, when you try to disconnect/reconnect from the hook.

If you look at the 28 March 2006 post by "Chris Anglin" to the MTech Picture Page, you'll find these pictures which will help you visualize the door handle (after it's removed) and what you are up against. It's not a hard task at all - 10 minutes tops.

http://www.merkurtech.com/merkurtech/in ... aro001.jpg

http://www.merkurtech.com/merkurtech/in ... aro003.jpg

The pics were a comparison between the metal and plastic versions of the door handle. No, they didn't make a metal version of the part that breaks, just the frame of it, which doesn't break.
Anglin email: - anglin at mc2racing.com
www.mc2racing.com
EVIL_XR4
Level 7
Level 7

Post by EVIL_XR4 »

So what exactly is causing the handle to stick out? Is that something that can be fixed? The handle still opens the door...
milehighXR
Level 7
Level 7

Post by milehighXR »

You'll have to look, but I can only guess that the handle is somewhat separated for the door, and not in 2 pieces, IOW the functional part did not remove itself from the frame, rather the frame is not fully attached to the door.
Johnny

DCLXVI
EVIL_XR4
Level 7
Level 7

Post by EVIL_XR4 »

OK last stupid question....how do you go about removing and reattaching the door panel? It's sort of a PITA on a Mustang and you've gotta order some replacement tabs that hold it on because they almost always break coming off. Is it that big of a pain on these cars? I also need to open up the passenger side and clean out the lock because it's sticking when the power lock is flipped.

I appreciate the patience with my noob ass :D
milehighXR
Level 7
Level 7

Post by milehighXR »

Probably as difficult as the Stang. There is a plastic trim piece that should be removed(though I usually don't as it breaks and is not easy to find a replacement). The plastic tabs that hold it on(in addition to the screws) typically don't break(at least not for me). The tabs are Merk specific, so good luck finding more.
Johnny

DCLXVI
DPDISXR4Ti
Site Admin

Post by DPDISXR4Ti »

EVIL_XR4 wrote:OK last stupid question....how do you go about removing and reattaching the door panel?
Noob! :lol:

It's mostly a "pull and pray" proposition, but that's only AFTER you get the couple screws removed. There's a couple that face towards the door jamb (towards the back of the car) that are easy to forget. The other ones do double-duty fastening the pocket and door handle trim surround.

One thing to keep in mind with these and many of the screws on the XR is that they are Pozidrive head rather than Phillips head. If the screw is in there tight and/or somewhat seized, you really need the correct Pozidrive bit rather than Phillips head.

All that said, I'm a little baffled as to how you can have a partial failure on this part as you seem to have. Usually when the plastic breaks, it's a yes/no proposition - no "maybe" option. Let us know what you find.
Brad
EVIL_XR4
Level 7
Level 7

Post by EVIL_XR4 »

Yeah it's kinda hard to explain. You know how the handle lifts up to open the door? Well you know how there's a type of spring action or whatever that holds the handle down flush against the door...well it's like the handle has long part of whatever holds it flush to the door and it's sticking up/out off the door about 1/4 inch. I'm not gonna be able to play with it tonight but i might be able to get a picture taken and posted.

I think i follow getting the panel off...seems pretty simple as long as nothing breaks, but what about putting it back on?
anglin
Level 7
Level 7

Post by anglin »

EVIL_XR4 wrote:I think i follow getting the panel off...seems pretty simple as long as nothing breaks, but what about putting it back on?
Installation is the opposite of removal? :dunno

We're all dying to hear what happened! It's an easy task... so get out there already! I've been busy installing new lights in my garage (increasing the bulb power consumption from 160 watts to 352 watts) to come down there and help you.
Anglin email: - anglin at mc2racing.com
www.mc2racing.com
milehighXR
Level 7
Level 7

Post by milehighXR »

DPDISXR4Ti wrote:
EVIL_XR4 wrote:OK last stupid question....how do you go about removing and reattaching the door panel?
One thing to keep in mind with these and many of the screws on the XR is that they are Pozidrive head rather than Phillips head. If the screw is in there tight and/or somewhat seized, you really need the correct Pozidrive bit rather than Phillips head.
You learn something new everyday...
Johnny

DCLXVI
EVIL_XR4
Level 7
Level 7

Post by EVIL_XR4 »

Still haven't had time to try and get the panel off, but i did snap a couple pics.

Here's how the handle sits

Here's how it should be, with me pressing down on it

It's physically loose....you can actually jiggle it up and down, yet it still opens the door just fine. However if you go to turn the key in the lock you have to push down on the handle like you see above in order for the key to turn.
phild765
Level 6
Level 6

Broken Door handle

Post by phild765 »

Beside new replacement outside door handles, I have new replacement door panel screws. Under the interior section for the later, exterior for the handles.
Check out our new Groove oriented web radio station: http://www.thebocx.com