Did i ever show you guys my buddy's turbo pinto?

The Club Water Cooler - Discussion of just about anything on your mind not Merkur related.

Merkur Club web site
EVIL_XR4
Level 7
Level 7

Did i ever show you guys my buddy's turbo pinto?

Post by EVIL_XR4 »

This is a guy on our local Mustang club/forum. He's building up an '80 Pinto with tall-deck 2.3 sporting 2.7L.

Here's a quote from his build up thread:
Engine setup. Its a Ford "2.3" liter. Some might be familiar with Fords tall deck blocks. Thats what we have. Its a 2.7 liter in its current state, o-ringed, scat crank, crower billet rods, weisco pistons, all custom built to our specs. The head is an Essengler ARCA head, with their .620 lift turbo cam. Solid lifters, big valves, etc.

We decided to go with an external wet sump oiling system. The header is an equal length and equal degree of bending withing 0.25" and 15 degrees on every runner. The intake is a unit designed to be 2.5 times the engine displacement.
It's tubbed with a 4 link rear end...the engine is just gnarly though.

He said they estimate it to push 800hp after break in.
John Brennan
Level 8

Post by John Brennan »

Pintos have to be perfect as a dragster; small, light, and with a solid axle. Then again, I have fond memories of my '74 2.3 Canyon Carver back in 80's L.A.

Edit: I really like that intake, too.
Last edited by John Brennan on Sun Feb 17, 2008 9:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.
This is my car, and these are my people!
2015 Fiesta ST
2020 Edge 2.0 Ecoboost
DPDISXR4Ti
Site Admin

Post by DPDISXR4Ti »

Interesting wet sump setup. Any idea if that's something sold as a kit, or was it totally custom?

I sure hope those blocks under the rear end aren't holding the whole car up! :shock:
Brad
EVIL_XR4
Level 7
Level 7

Post by EVIL_XR4 »

DPDISXR4Ti wrote:Interesting wet sump setup. Any idea if that's something sold as a kit, or was it totally custom?

I sure hope those blocks under the rear end aren't holding the whole car up! :shock:
I think they're holding the rear end up in a mock-up.

I don't know about the wet sump setup....90% of the car is custom work so it may very well be. He also did an LS1 RX-7 that he built the entire K member from scratch...he's pretty damn skilled. This project started a long time ago and he hasn't updated so i'm not sure where it's at right now. I just love that engine.

Here's a few more shots of the intake

Colin
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Colin »

Holy macaroni! :shock:
Instagram @colinrdoyle
89 Scorpio 2300-16V // 07 F-650 Cummins // 00 Beetle TDI
File to fit, paint to match.
deathbypsi
Level 3
Level 3

Post by deathbypsi »

Did this friend have a built up Ranger a while ago? I bought a Ranger 8.8 a few years ago from a guy that looked to have a Pinto just like that in his garage,although at that time the motor wasnt in it. I was on my way from Toledo to Louisville and stopped by to buy the rear somehwere inbetween.
Brian R.
86 SVO
EVIL_XR4
Level 7
Level 7

Post by EVIL_XR4 »

I'm not sure. That Pinto actually only has 25k original miles on it and was pretty much perfect before he tore into it.
deathbypsi
Level 3
Level 3

Post by deathbypsi »

Does he live somewhere between Toledo and Cincinnati?
Brian R.
86 SVO
EVIL_XR4
Level 7
Level 7

Post by EVIL_XR4 »

Yeah here in Cincinnati near me.
topher_csr
Level 3
Level 3

Post by topher_csr »

love the custom intake, i want one.
Chris
86 xr4ti-
Front Mount Intercooler, Turbonetics Super 60 Turbo, External Wastegate, XS Power Exhaust Manifold, Intake, 3" downpipe, LB2 and big VAM

All kids play with cars, the unlucky ones grow out of it.
2barXR
Level 1
Level 1

Post by 2barXR »

I just saw this somewhere on here while reading and trying to catch up.... seems like people were saying he will have a hard time boosting that set up without clamps on the silicone! again I was just reading and not frowning. Looks like a purpose built monster to me :thumb
error: Insufficient space to complete my small list of mods.

Dean Cartrite
EVIL_XR4
Level 7
Level 7

Post by EVIL_XR4 »

Yeah i think i've heard that a few times. I'm almost certain he's a member over on turboford.