throttle release/fuel control

XR4Ti / Sierra / Sierra Cosworth Discussions - Questions, problem resolution, general talk, technical tips and modifications.
Merkur Club web site
mikerobison
Level 2
Level 2

throttle release/fuel control

Post by mikerobison »

When you release the the throttle pedal which sensor notifies the injectors to cut fuel?

The reason I ask is when I accelerate then slowly release the pedal to a cruise speed my air fuel meter fluxuates between rich and lean and causes a violent jerking through the drive train. (the fluxuation and the jerking happen at the same time) If I accelerate then release quickly the reaction is deminished greatly.

This could also be a vacuum issue but I am curious of the injector control. Thanks
Mike
hEaT
Level 7
Level 7

Post by hEaT »

I'm guessing the TPS.

Do you have a narrowband or wideband? Narrowband will fluctuate like that. They are good for seeing the transition between open loop and closed loop, when the injectors shut off on decel and that's it.
mikerobison
Level 2
Level 2

Post by mikerobison »

narrow
MerkXRTurbo
Level 7
Level 7

Post by MerkXRTurbo »

It's mostly the VAM. When the TB closes, the airflow diminishes so the VAM closes too. It also, however, gets some input from the TPS (it tells the EEC that the engine is now at low load), and the O2 sensor.
3" mandrel bent exhaust, Ported/Polished head, 1.89/1.57 valves, Gutted uppper/Knife edge lower intake, T3/T4, LA3, Big VAM, Cold air intake, 40bob header, Gillis valve, Forge BOV, Mustang SVO T5, Conquest intercooler, 20psi.
BeefFajitas
Level 6
Level 6

Post by BeefFajitas »

Do you have an IC? Some people report that problem with an IC. The VAM is too far away from the TB to really report an accurate amount of air in the system.
-Nate
'85 Merk. Back together. Only thing stock is the head and block.
anglin
Level 7
Level 7

Re: throttle release/fuel control

Post by anglin »

mikerobison wrote:When you release the the throttle pedal which sensor notifies the injectors to cut fuel?
Mike, like Joe said, it sounds like your TPS. Don't associate the mixture fluctuation on your air-fuel ratio gauge with the jerking of the car. It sounds like you are just seeing it transition between open and closed loop (the fluctuation occurs in closed loop because the computer is paying attention to the oxygen sensor and adjusting the mixture accordingly).

You can check for good sweep of the voltage output on the TPS with an analog voltmeter (described in the shop manual) or you can just replace it. The TPS isn't an expensive part.

Of course, we are diagnosing this problem with nothing more than your short description. If you didn't mention that your car has an intercooler with 45 feet of plumbing and no BOV/BPV, you could just be experiencing trailer hitching. :dunno We need more info, but I'm gonna guess it's your TPS.
Anglin email: - anglin at mc2racing.com
www.mc2racing.com
mikerobison
Level 2
Level 2

Post by mikerobison »

I do have a IC rs500 with stock intake, and I have a BOV that appears to operate perfectly. It is a dual stage diaphagm style.

The transition between open and closed loop should take longer than 1-2 seconds. I thought the computer stayed in open loop untill 10 seconds of contant thottle position before going to closed loop...Assuming you have reached operating temp. Almost instantainously to when I apply throttle the AF Meter Reads a rich signal showing I am no longer in closed loop.

I have another VAM I'll stick in.
I'll also check the TPS
hEaT
Level 7
Level 7

Post by hEaT »

Doesn't take that long at all. I can roll on the throttle and watch it switch almost instantly.