XRBrati Underway....

Documenting your big project with photos/videos? Have photos/videos to share of anything Merkur related? Place your links to photos and videos here. Please - Merkurs and Merkur-related pictures only. Cosworths welcome!!
Carlisle and event related pictures are to be placed in the relevant section under 'Events'.
Merkur Club web site
Mike McCreight
Level 7
Level 7

?

Post by Mike McCreight »

All it REALLY needs now is one of Phil's fire breathing 600+ hp motors.
Imagine passing say, a 911tt at 130 or so, and watching him lose control in the rear view mirror... 8)
It's not a hobby, it's an obsession!
DPDISXR4Ti
Site Admin

Re: ?

Post by DPDISXR4Ti »

Mike McCreight wrote: Imagine passing say, a 911tt at 130 or so, and watching him lose control in the rear view mirror... 8)
Now imagine that, and what passed you has a camper top on it! :haha
Brad
Mike McCreight
Level 7
Level 7

?

Post by Mike McCreight »

That'd do it. I think it'd be enought to get your doors blown off by a car that he can't quite recognize, but LOOKS a bit like a Subaru that came with a 67 hp engine... :o
It's not a hobby, it's an obsession!
DPDISXR4Ti
Site Admin

Post by DPDISXR4Ti »

Okay, I guess I can provide some pics here, now that they're all out there from this past weekend's festivities....

Here's a couple from the day I "punted" on trying to get a custom exhaust done, and just tossed the tired Borla setup in there....

Later that day, I've got it to a drive-able state....

A few days later, I make the inagural trip out to CT to fetch the camper top that's been stowed under my brother's deck for three years.
Yep, it truly looks that bad, but it was the only choice for getting everything out to Carlisle.
Brad
DPDISXR4Ti
Site Admin

Post by DPDISXR4Ti »

Here's a couple from the show that I'll borrow from Ian....

Brad
BeefFajitas
Level 6
Level 6

Post by BeefFajitas »

That thing is just silly.
-Nate
'85 Merk. Back together. Only thing stock is the head and block.
hEaT
Level 7
Level 7

Post by hEaT »

Nice. Where in CT is your brother? Should have stopped by! :P
DPDISXR4Ti
Site Admin

Post by DPDISXR4Ti »

hEaT wrote:Nice. Where in CT is your brother? Should have stopped by! :P
Wallingford. It was a pretty quick trip out and back that was as much about getting some shake-down miles on this thing as it was about picking up the cap.
Brad
hEaT
Level 7
Level 7

Post by hEaT »

Ah, nice.

There are a few nice karting places there (On-Track and Willy D's).
anglin
Level 7
Level 7

Post by anglin »

DPDISXR4Ti wrote:Image
Suddenly I don't feel so bad about missing Carlisle... :shock:

Actually, it would have been a nice follow up to the Pontiac front end from 2006. Brad, did you do the Pontiac front end just to soften the blow of this vehicle a little bit?
Anglin email: - anglin at mc2racing.com
www.mc2racing.com
DPDISXR4Ti
Site Admin

Post by DPDISXR4Ti »

anglin wrote:Brad, did you do the Pontiac front end just to soften the blow of this vehicle a little bit?
Considering my brake situation (or lack thereof), I really could have used some giant air-bags out on the front end this year! :lol:

Remember, function first, form second. I'm pretty sure a bunch of soggy goody bags and t-shirts would not have been a big hit.

I figure this year's edition was kinda like the human body exhibits - not terribly attractive, but fully exposed, revealing details which would otherwise never be seen. Next year, the emperor will have clothes. :lol:
Brad
xr4man
Level 6
Level 6

Post by xr4man »

it may not look too good right now because it needs a little body work and some paint, but it still is 100x better executed than the pontiac nose.

i don't care what anybody says, the camper top rocks the casbah!
ian the re-animator
DPDISXR4Ti
Site Admin

Post by DPDISXR4Ti »

xr4man wrote: but it still is 100x better executed than the pontiac nose.
That might be a conservative estimate Ian. :lol: The Pontiac nose was never meant to be well-executed or engineered.

It's been very rewarding and humbling to get positive feedback from people whom I respect for their knowledge and abilities. I think they're able to see through the unfinished state to recognize what's there.

That said, I don't know that I can agree with your assessment of the camper top Ian! :lol: But damn, if you don't mind the horrific look, it really is surprisingly roomy in there! :beats head
Brad
MerkXRTurbo
Level 7
Level 7

Post by MerkXRTurbo »

You know Brad, as much as I've hated on your idea and as much as I currently hate your idea, I kinda like it at the same time for some reason. 8)
3" mandrel bent exhaust, Ported/Polished head, 1.89/1.57 valves, Gutted uppper/Knife edge lower intake, T3/T4, LA3, Big VAM, Cold air intake, 40bob header, Gillis valve, Forge BOV, Mustang SVO T5, Conquest intercooler, 20psi.
Ed Lijewski
Level 8

Post by Ed Lijewski »

I mentioned it to Brad, and maybe others had a similar reaction on seeing it up front and personal rather than through the photos here: I was struck by how much smaller it seemed in real life--looking at it in so many photos left an impression of something larger, El Camino or Ranchero-like. :shock:

YMMV 8)
Descartes: "Cogito Ergo Sum"
Lijewski: "Sum Ergo Drive-O. Mucho!