Post it up when you made it home

Discussion topics related exclusively to our annual gathering in Carlisle PA on June 6-8, 2008.
Merkur Club web site
richardcurtis
Level 6
Level 6

Post by richardcurtis »

Got back home Saturday evening. No problems although I had a cooling problem going TO Carlisle (fan wouldn't come on). Luckily, I found two relays in the vendor aisles (what are the odds?), came off a 1988 F-250, the guy said. One of the relays at least allowed the engine fan to operate when I pushed the a/c switch to ON (no Freon, though).

Brad: I have a set of T-bird calipers for the front if you're interested. I almost brought them to Carlisle!
Richard Curtis
Fairfax Station, Va. '89XR (gone to a new home but not forgotten)
DPDISXR4Ti
Site Admin

Post by DPDISXR4Ti »

ztee24 wrote:Hey all,
we all got home safe, no broken gears this time, haahaa.
Peter Orlinski did get stuck, his tranny went on the truck!!!
So, he's in the process of towing/fixing and getting a good night sleep at a hotel near by.
Glad to hear you made it home T. I'd be very reluctant to drive that thing further until the aux shaft and bearings have been replaced. You really don't need to go with the later Ranger EDIS block - just get the modified bearings that shoot a stream of oil at the gears. You'll also want to REPLACE the aux shaft.

Bummer that Peter had problems.
Brad
DPDISXR4Ti
Site Admin

Post by DPDISXR4Ti »

richardcurtis wrote:Brad: I have a set of T-bird calipers for the front if you're interested. I almost brought them to Carlisle!
Thanks Richard, I've already got a set of those and a set of PBR's on the shelf.
Brad
Merkur

Post by Merkur »

I got back to Oakland around 9:30pm. Scott, Andrew and I left the showfield and stopped off at the Allentown Brew-Works for dinner. We had an uneventful trip except for a wierd headlamp problem on my car and severe thunderstorms on the northern end of I-287.

Andrew made it back to Hoboken shortly after.

Great seeing everyone.

Paul
Paul "the Brit" West
Doylestown, PA
MerkurScorpio
Level 5
Level 5

Post by MerkurScorpio »

Carrie and I are home safe, although not without some mishaps.

We got within 30 miles of home when our tranny started puking out more fluid. I'm beginning to think it is both overfilled and in need of a new front pump seal. Anyway, we got towed home, but the mechanic did not properly secure the car on the flatbead, nor was he the greatest driver on the planet. One of the straps over the front driver's side wheel snapped, leaving a scratch in my bumper, and the car bounced up and down and back and forth so much that I am having my mechanic check for mechanical damage. AAA has already been notified about the situation and will be paying for any damage incurred by the tow truck, including replacing my bumper (or refinishing the bumper plus all of the other panels to match if it's cheaper).

We thought the saga would end there, but upon arriving home we discovered a severe thunderstorm has toppled a large tree in our back yard and removed our neighborhood from the power grid. As a result we had an evening by candlelight...with no AC. Luckily power returned around midnight and we were back in the 21st century.

Despite some mishaps and frustrations, this was still a great year at Carlisle. As always, it was great to see familiar faces, meet some wonderful new friends, and share in the camaraderie that this event and our community are all about.

Thanks to everyone that helped me get the car to and from the showfield, and diagnose and work on my car over the weekend...I appreciate it SO MUCH! We can't wait for Carlisle 2009!
-Paul-Michael Van Hook, Northeastern PA
'89 Merkur Scorpio "HookSport"

Paul-Aaron Zachary Van Hook is one year old! Born 11/4/2009!

My Facebook page
jasonty
Level 6
Level 6

Post by jasonty »

and w/ a new matching gear!

DPDISXR4Ti wrote:
ztee24 wrote:Hey all,
we all got home safe, no broken gears this time, haahaa.
Peter Orlinski did get stuck, his tranny went on the truck!!!
So, he's in the process of towing/fixing and getting a good night sleep at a hotel near by.
Glad to hear you made it home T. I'd be very reluctant to drive that thing further until the aux shaft and bearings have been replaced. You really don't need to go with the later Ranger EDIS block - just get the modified bearings that shoot a stream of oil at the gears. You'll also want to REPLACE the aux shaft.

Bummer that Peter had problems.
jason yancey
stephens city va
87XR-88XR
NOVAMOG

"as long as you keep picking on me I will tend to mad post about me getting mad......"
MerlinMerkur
Level 7
Level 7

Post by MerlinMerkur »

I made it, all 596 miles of it with all the traffic clogs and sneaking into gas station seating areas to cool off lol... (No A/C) I got home around 10:45. It was rather pleasant cruising up to PA 6am to 9am till it started to get hot, and then again after about 7pm when it started to cool off.. windows down whooshing through those mountain passes at 75ish looking across miles of hillside is hard to beat. I'm making a vid/slide of the pics I snagged and posting on youtube in 2 batches, one for Merks, one for everything I have. Look for em in a couple days under "f22mzr".

It was the icing on the cake in meeting all the faceless voices I've seen over the last 2-3 years and I couldnt trade it for the 3 days no doubt.

I have to admit though, I was disappointed in myself for not trusting the Merlin lol.. It cut through the trip without issue AND gave me 25-27mpg for the highway legs of the trip and I brought 50lbs of hand tools and coolant hoses, tires, jacks, vac lines to fix em "when" it broke, and it was all wasted weight! Well.. actually others who didnt over-pack did use the tools for there cars heh.

ok this post grows to a ramble
~TE

~Message Truncated~
~Travis
87.5 Mono XR- LA3, FMIC, Adj Cam, Gillis, CAI/Cone, +15% rates - Koni adj, Coss frnt/rr sways, rr brc., Ported manis, 3" DP w/dualz, PBRs, rear disks and enough gadjets and switches to make Batman jealous! And more comin! Speak up.
Specktor
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Specktor »

We made it home about 4:30 sunday , with exhaust hanging , sounding like an scca car lol. We had too much crap in the back and hit a pot hole on rt84 in penn. And blew the exhaust apart. great time as always.
88 maroon xr4ti,
88 xr4ti now blue.
88 xr4ti black,
88 xr4ti red,
88 xr4ti white.
Can I stop now I'm broke.
blugg
Level 7
Level 7

Post by blugg »

All the midwest crew made it back around 7am - 9am Monday morning (14 hours thru the night)....just in time for the great Chicago city rush hour traffic. Admittingly not uneventful, yet nothing that some Macgrubber skillz couldnt solve!

Some high speed runs thru the late late night in Ohio & Indiana included red & blue rollers to remind us of the posted speed limits. Of the 3 separate (2 OH & 1 IN) smokey events, none resulted in more than a warning, shockingly the constables were amazed at seeing a Merkur again much less 5 of them at once. One great officer even was in awe when I reached for the registration in the glove box and he saw the original window sticker in the leather bound owners manual.....after seeing the original Merkur window sticker memorabilia he said you all have a nice night!!

blugg
jkxr4ti
Level 7
Level 7

Post by jkxr4ti »

I made it back at around 9:30 am on sunday. I had some things going on at home so I had to head out early. When I packed up at around 4AM the parking lot was still going. Good times as always!
Jeremy Kemp

RIP: the Mutt….1988 XR4Ti Chestnut Brown/Spice Leather
MC2 Coilovers and Bushings, Contour Rims and Rotors, Ported Motorsport Head, Cosworth 4x4 Intercooler, Holset HY35 Turbo, 80LB Injectors, Megasquirt2 EFI
Stealth_xr
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Stealth_xr »

yah so i'm a day late ha.. I made it home about 12:30 pm on sunday took a shower then drove another hour to be at a wedding... sheesh but i survived. My no 2 plug wire is burnt up pretty good. Time for a tune up and some pluggys heh I got some Ultra 40 wires from one of the v8s kicking around so we will see how they hold up. Well worth the trip i had an awesome time.
quirkymerk
Level 2
Level 2

Post by quirkymerk »

I made it home around 5pm Monday. EXHAUSTED!!
'87 auto xr4ti sti wannabee going to Carlisle 2010!)
'90 5.0 LX stang
*Sarah*
DPDISXR4Ti
Site Admin

Post by DPDISXR4Ti »

quirkymerk wrote:I made it home around 5pm Monday. EXHAUSTED!!
I can't imagine why! :devil

I would never in my wildest imagination thought that one person, the very same person, could acquire a taste for Colt45 and Newcastle Brown Ale. It practically defies the law of physics! :cheers
Brad
quirkymerk
Level 2
Level 2

Post by quirkymerk »

lol... true true!

Well Colt started being consumed strictly for the novelty of it all, and then the taste was aquired. Newcastle is just DELICIOUS!!! mmm.. i could go for another:)
'87 auto xr4ti sti wannabee going to Carlisle 2010!)
'90 5.0 LX stang
*Sarah*
Stealth_xr
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Stealth_xr »

hey those are 2 of my faves as well.... Just throw in a little pabst blue ribbon and call it done