XRBrati Underway....

Documenting your big project with photos/videos? Have photos/videos to share of anything Merkur related? Place your links to photos and videos here. Please - Merkurs and Merkur-related pictures only. Cosworths welcome!!
Carlisle and event related pictures are to be placed in the relevant section under 'Events'.
Merkur Club web site
MerkXRTurbo
Level 7
Level 7

Post by MerkXRTurbo »

hEaT wrote: Image

Every time I see "trucks" like that I want to get in my 3/4 ton Dodge and CRUSH THEM!!!!!!!!! :evil: :evil: :evil:
3" mandrel bent exhaust, Ported/Polished head, 1.89/1.57 valves, Gutted uppper/Knife edge lower intake, T3/T4, LA3, Big VAM, Cold air intake, 40bob header, Gillis valve, Forge BOV, Mustang SVO T5, Conquest intercooler, 20psi.
Rooster
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Rooster »

what do the p100 tail lights look like??
-Rooster..
1985 Merkur XR4Ti "New plan"
1986 Merkur XR4Ti Stock, Low miles unmodded will be that way 4ever
1989 Merkur Scorpio white and Tan "Casper" Daily Driven
CV12Steve
Level 7
Level 7

Post by CV12Steve »

Stephen
CV12Steve
Level 7
Level 7

Post by CV12Steve »

This might be more what you're looking for.
Stephen
DPDISXR4Ti
Site Admin

Post by DPDISXR4Ti »

CV12Steve wrote:This might be more what you're looking for.
Right, basically 100% functionally equivalent to the ones I've already got there now, which fit precisely in place with 4 screws. So tell me again why I'd want to change them? :dunno
Brad
Rooster
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Rooster »

well then mod the stock ones so it doesnt look like a scobby tail light... 8)
-Rooster..
1985 Merkur XR4Ti "New plan"
1986 Merkur XR4Ti Stock, Low miles unmodded will be that way 4ever
1989 Merkur Scorpio white and Tan "Casper" Daily Driven
DPDISXR4Ti
Site Admin

Post by DPDISXR4Ti »

In the interest of getting this thread back on track :roll:, I figured I'd actually do something relating to the project....

"Measure twice and cut once". Solid-roof headliner cut in half, to match the new roof size...

I figure it's about time to get the bed sealed up in preparation for spraying in the bed-liner, so here's some progress in that regard. (If you're so inclined, you can go back to page 19 to see the "before" shots).

And just for documentation purposes before paint, I figured I'd take a shot of tube that indicates the use of 4130-MIL-T-6736 1.625" x .083" Chromoly tube.
Brad
CV12Steve
Level 7
Level 7

Post by CV12Steve »

DPDISXR4Ti wrote:"Measure twice and cut once". Solid-roof headliner cut in half, to match the new roof size . . .Image
As long as you have to recover it, what about trying to close the ends of the "head troughs" simaliar to stock (give it more of a finished look)?
Stephen
DPDISXR4Ti
Site Admin

Post by DPDISXR4Ti »

CV12Steve wrote:As long as you have to recover it, what about trying to close the ends of the "head troughs" simaliar to stock (give it more of a finished look)?
Novel idea, but that would require too much time for the minimal impact it would have. I'll be working on this forever if I try to make everything look "factory original".
Brad
DPDISXR4Ti
Site Admin

Post by DPDISXR4Ti »

Not much progress to report, although it did occur to me today that the "Merkur year" is 1/6th over already - I really need to get back on track if this thing is gonna have paint a year from now. :oops:

So here's a couple shots with the Rota Slipstream wheels that the XRBrati has adopted...

Brad
DPDISXR4Ti
Site Admin

Post by DPDISXR4Ti »

Built Ford tough? :lol:

I really need to get some stiffer springs in this thing, dontcha think? :beats head
Brad
CV12Steve
Level 7
Level 7

Post by CV12Steve »

DPDISXR4Ti wrote:I really need to get some stiffer springs in this thing, dontcha think? :beats head
How about air bags in the springs?
Stephen
DPDISXR4Ti
Site Admin

Post by DPDISXR4Ti »

CV12Steve wrote:How about air bags in the springs?
That approach has been suggested before, but it just doesn't appeal to me. A dual spring solutions is where I'm likely headed - short spring in the stock location and coil-overs.
Brad
Chuck W
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Chuck W »

How about just some heavier springs? What is in there now?

On the Scorpio (the old one) I had my beefy rear springs in there (about 2-1/2x's stock rate) and when I loaded a 2.3T shortblock on a small skid in the back of the car...it dropped about 1/4"...
"Strange women, lying in ponds distributing swords is no basis for a system of government. Supreme executive power is derived from a mandate from the masses, not from some farsical aquatic ceremony."
DPDISXR4Ti
Site Admin

Post by DPDISXR4Ti »

Chuck W wrote:How about just some heavier springs? What is in there now?
The currect ride has stock springs with about 200,000 miles on them. Can you say "mushy"? :lol:

Certainly just some heavier springs would be a step in the right direction. My thinking on the dual-spring approach was that it would sorta be like leaf springs, where the second spring wouldn't really do much until a load was put in.

With that second load yesterday, I'd venture to say I had about 1250 lbs in there - does anyone else make a 5/8 ton truck? :P
Brad