T5 question

XR4Ti / Sierra / Sierra Cosworth Discussions - Questions, problem resolution, general talk, technical tips and modifications.
Merkur Club web site
Neogiomach

T5 question

Post by Neogiomach »

Hey all!
I've been driving my '86 XR to and from work, I live on an Air Force base so my commute is all of 5 minutes. However, with a 25 mph speed limit on base I'm in 1st, 2nd, and 3rd gear a lot. Since I bought the car about 3 months ago, the second gear has been touchy, like grinding a little no matter how much you finesse it. It's started to get worse, and I'm thinking that if I'm gonna replace my transmission, I wanna get a T5.

My question is, is there anything else I need to buy when I find a good T5 on ebay or something, or is the stock transmission and the T5 a 1 for 1 swap with minimal headache?

Any info and/pictures would be greatly appreciated, thank you in advance.
CV12Steve
Level 7
Level 7

Post by CV12Steve »

Stephen
deathbypsi
Level 3
Level 3

Post by deathbypsi »

Dont put a penny into the T9 setup. The T5 swap is a bit of work but soo worth it once its done!!
Brian R.
86 SVO
dirtyford
Level 2
Level 2

Post by dirtyford »

The T5 can also be swaped out a lot easier if you need to remove the trany.
EVIL_XR4
Level 7
Level 7

Post by EVIL_XR4 »

dirtyford wrote:The T5 can also be swaped out a lot easier if you need to remove the trany.

Amen to that. I put a clutch in mine and getting that damned T9 out and especially back in was an all out nightmare. Why they made the bell housing bolt on from the inside is beyond me. I really wanted a T5 but i didn't have the cash and so far my T9 shifts perfect so i'm babying it until i have the cash.