I want some up-grades

XR4Ti / Sierra / Sierra Cosworth Discussions - Questions, problem resolution, general talk, technical tips and modifications.
Merkur Club web site
DPDISXR4Ti
Site Admin

Post by DPDISXR4Ti »

Yes, the PE is only from the '85.5 or '86 SVO. As such, it is sufficiently rare, but it is plug-n-play swap-able into an XR. If you have your LA3/8UA/etc modified by Ian (XR4man), it will also be plug-n-play swap-able, just like a PE. Otherwise, you need to move a couple pins around.
Brad
Garret
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Garret »

XR4man modded my 8ua and it was plug and play, the whole setup with a big vam ran me well under 150 bucks shipped
smoke3006
Level 4
Level 4

Post by smoke3006 »

Do the "re-pinned" ECUs still require the ACT sensor to be added?
sam
'86 Regency Red Metallic XR4Ti -Blood Monkey

Cure your fever:
http://www.morecowbell.dj/
Garret
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Garret »

Don't require it, mine sure doesn't have one and I don't miss it
DPDISXR4Ti
Site Admin

Post by DPDISXR4Ti »

smoke3006 wrote:Do the "re-pinned" ECUs still require the ACT sensor to be added?
Confirming what Garret said, no, the ACT is not required, regardless of whether the PCM is re-pinned or not. The ACT input is so minimal, it can be skipped without issue.
Brad
Raze
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Raze »

MEGASQUIRT, tune to your heart's desire, ability to upgrade w/o worrying about tune, cheap, reliable, learn something...
HY35w, FMIC & BOV, 3" exhaust, 75#/hr, 255lph, MegaSquirt-I V3 w/3bar, T5, 4-point roll bar, rear strut brace, gutted, lexan windows and sunroof, Odyssey PC680, Koni + Ground Control (7" 250#/in) front, KYB (8.5" 600#/in) rear, TC rear brakes
xr4man
Level 6
Level 6

Post by xr4man »

i have installed a j3 chip with pe tables and ran the xr to compare it to my la3. i did not notice hardly any difference other than the turbo spools a bit quicker with the la3.

on a side note, an la3 with a j3 chip can have maf tables inserted into the maps. i have read that the pe and pf and pk cannot. but i can't confirm that.
ian the re-animator
DPDISXR4Ti
Site Admin

Post by DPDISXR4Ti »

xr4man wrote:on a side note, an la3 with a j3 chip can have maf tables inserted into the maps. i have read that the pe and pf and pk cannot. but i can't confirm that.
That's not really correct Ian. When doing a MAF conversion, you really only change the values in the existing VAF Xfer table.

The only thing that might be true is with some of the more recent MAF conversions, some additional coding has been done to make them operate like native MAF PCM's, and that's probably only been done with the LA3 family of PCM's.
Brad
CV12Steve
Level 7
Level 7

Post by CV12Steve »

What about grounding the "Premium Switch" on the PE?
Stephen
Ed Lijewski
Level 8

Post by Ed Lijewski »

That wouldn't be an "upgrade".

YMMV 8)
Descartes: "Cogito Ergo Sum"
Lijewski: "Sum Ergo Drive-O. Mucho!
worked_xr
Level 7
Level 7

Post by worked_xr »

Back to the original poster, look on Craigslist. I've seen 6 L series ECUs come up on the Seattle/Tacoma craigslist in the last year (I bought two of them in fact). Also, if you're not on the list, join PNWMON and post a message. There's more than a few of us in the area and many of us have spare ECUs and parts.

As for PE ('85.5-'86 SVO) vs. L series ('87-'88 Turbocoupe), both are excellent performance upgrades compared to the stock XR ECUs. The PE has a stronger midrange, but the L series will provide nearly the same performance and a better idle. And as for repinning the harness with the L series, don't bother... send it to Ian (xr4man) and have him repin it internally. This will allow you to swap in your stock ECU if you need/want or if you ever luck into a cheap PE.
merkurmaniac
Level 5
Level 5

Post by merkurmaniac »

Ian, what do you charge for this service ? hello.... beuler ....
worked_xr
Level 7
Level 7

Post by worked_xr »

Obviously I'm not Ian, but IMHO what he charges is a darn fair bargain.
merkurmaniac
Level 5
Level 5

Post by merkurmaniac »

I figured that you might know, or more likely I thought that Iam might be reading this post. I see that he posts frequently.
xr4man
Level 6
Level 6

Post by xr4man »

40 bones shipped.

and that's chicken bones, not dog bones.\

ok, bad joke, but yeah $40 and i'll test it, mod it, test it again and then ship it back.
ian the re-animator