Are your other cars fun too?

General discussion relating to club happenings and items related to Merkurs in general such as "Merkur sightings". If you just signed on, please feel to start a new thread and introduce yourself here. Posts specifically regarding either the XR4Ti or Scorpio should go in those specific forums. Feel free to make suggestions on improving this forum here as well.
Merkur Club web site
RatFink
Level 4
Level 4

Are your other cars fun too?

Post by RatFink »

Just curious what other cars you might own/enjoy?

My personal stable looks something like this:

86' XR all original

85' XR project racer

87' Suzuki Swift turbo3

99' Volvo V70R wagon

04' Jeep Wrangler

I have to say each car has it's place and each is highly enjoyable in it's arena.
Daniel Llewellyn

"You can never turn a pig into a race horse, but with enough development you can have a pretty damn fast pig".
Randy Pobst

I just love this guy:
hEaT wrote:Bit more work, but saved me $100 and I got to learn things, cut things, burn things and hammer things. All in all, a solid move.
Darren5.0L

Post by Darren5.0L »

Absolutely,
The twin screw blower on my 5.0L displaces almost as much as my XR's engine, good handling and brake upgrades and so on. I can smoke the tires at a 45 mph roll...

My Merkur project is a way to have a change of pace without buying a non-Ford, not that is anything wrong with other marques, just I have a lot of Ford parts available. I always wanted to try a turbo project of some sort, but didn't really want the mayhem of a Turbo V8, the 2.3L Turbo is a nice place to start tinkering.

Even my wife's '03 GTP is factory Supercharged, but I find the Automatic kinda dampens the fun factor.

After the XR is up and running, I'll be searching for another fun car to enjoy, lots of options to choose from, and I will by no means be letting any of the previous cars go.

Honestly I really wish Ford would import the Aussie falcons, I would jump on an F6 Typhoon very quickly.
1995 Mustang GTS - Kenne Bell 2.2L (8 psi)

1986 Merkur XR4Ti - Resurrecting
FocusSVT
Level 5
Level 5

Post by FocusSVT »

As my user name implies, I have a 2003 CD Silver Focus SVT ZX5. I love this car! It is a blast to drive, gets good gas mileage, and looks good. I have always felt that this is what my 89 XR4ti could have been if I had the cash to fully restore it. I am kind of a ford guy, but have owned a wide variety of cars over the years. My wife has a 2005 Chevrolet Trailblazer LT EXT. It is like driving a Cadillac. It replaced our 1996 Dodge Grand Caravan LE, which we drove the wheels off of. We plan on keeping the Trailblazer for a long time also. My current project is the 88 Blue Scorpio that I aquired this summer. It will probably keep me occupied for a couple of years.

Darren
Andover, Ks.
88 Blue Scorpio (132k)
03 Silver Focus SVT (79k)
Quik TA
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Quik TA »

Once I get rid of the explorer I'll have two cars:

the Merkur
and my '90 SHO, which is pretty damn quick and fun to drive

I'll also be getting another Trans-Am or Camaro in a year or so
'00 Camaro SS 6spd intake/exhaust
'87 XR4Ti 5spd somewhat stock
'90 Taurus SHO 5spd stock
deathbypsi
Level 3
Level 3

Post by deathbypsi »

My 85XR is my daily driver and weekend toy

1984 Bronco2 that I drive when the XR is down.It has 32's ,getting a lift,bigger axles and I have a efi 5.0 to drop in before the snow hits. This will be my new trail toy.

1999 Ranger 4x4. Lifted,locked,winch and beat. Was my daily driver til I got carried away with beating it up on off road trips and broke it too many times. Right now it sits in my driveway with a blown trans,two blow headgaskets, and two broken front CV shafts. Bronco will be replacing this one on the trails and the Ranger will go back to stock and be my daily driver soon.

Still lookin for another Ranger to build my next 2.3t drag truck.
Brian R.
86 SVO
EVIL_XR4
Level 7
Level 7

Post by EVIL_XR4 »

Yeah, my XR is the slow one of the bunch :lol:

My Mustang is on its way to low 12s if the damn thing will hook, and i also have a '98 Cherokee Sport which i love to death.
Darren5.0L

Post by Darren5.0L »

You know, just to give this thread little boot, here's a couple of youtube videos of my "other" car...

BTW these links will take you off site, and viewing in high quality if quite worth it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RwNcInffmqU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xnSEzyBvKOM

EVIL_XR4
Level 7
Level 7

Post by EVIL_XR4 »

Darren5.0L wrote:You know, just to give this thread little boot, here's a couple of youtube videos of my "other" car...

BTW these links will take you off site, and viewing in high quality if quite worth it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RwNcInffmqU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xnSEzyBvKOM

Dude, you only made 320rwhp with Twisted Wedge heads AND a Blowzilla on 10 pounds?? I'd take it to another tuner..
whitelx
Level 7
Level 7

Post by whitelx »

My Mustang is a tad quicker than my XR4Ti.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5iKn_yFRJ5w
It is suffering from spark blowout at 5700 (.025" gap) and the 38lb injectors are at 100% duty cycle at 5100rpm+. Next round of mods are an ignition box, coil, 42lb injectors, and a recalibrated MAF. I haven't decided if I want to cut the inner fender for the powerpipe yet.

The only one that isn't any fun to drive is my Ranger. With the 2.9L V6 and A4LD it just doesn't have any balls.
1986 XR4Ti - 294rwhp/315ft-lbs
1992 Mustang 5.0 notch - 434rwhp/445ft-lbs
http://www.youtube.com/user/whitelx
milehighXR
Level 7
Level 7

Post by milehighXR »

Merks all the way. Yeah that's right, nothing but Merks in our stable. Check my sig. It definitely makes for some interesting days sometimes. I've been Found On Road Dead in my XR more than once- ok more than 5x, but that's not the point... I wouldn't trade my Merks fer nothin' :headbang
Johnny

1 86 XR aka Naomi- my first love, now daily driven project

DCLXVI
Darren5.0L

Post by Darren5.0L »

EVIL_XR4 wrote: Dude, you only made 320rwhp with Twisted Wedge heads AND a Blowzilla on 10 pounds?? I'd take it to another tuner..
Not to pull the thread off topic, but here's the background to clarify.

The dyno is an MD-600 so it doesn't read as high as say a dynojet.

On that particular dyno a factory stock 03 Cobra makes just over 310 RWHP.

At a lessor 8 psi of boost, with a good ignition, it pulled 352 RWHP, and trapped 114 MPH in the 1/4. Traction is still impossible until 3rd gear, runs a 12.9 doing so.

Also 2100 ft elevation isn't all that helpful either.

So that said, don't get too hung-up on numbers, the tune is very good, and the car is a stout performer.

EVIL_XR4
Level 7
Level 7

Post by EVIL_XR4 »

That makes sense. I was just thinking, those numbers can be had without the blower :lol:
Raze
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Raze »

Lets see, in order of longest ownership to shortest ownership:

1990 Cadillac Eldorado ~ was fun even w/the auto since it had gobs of torque from about 1.5k to 3k rpm, used to smoke the front tires in 1st, thats right, FWD automatic smoking the tires, it handled poorly but never broke down, it's been sitting for the past 4 years in my parent's garage in CT, I live in GA :) Ammenities wise it's great for it's day, had as much stuff on it in 1990 that many luxury cars didn't get till 2000. Maintenance is cheap and easy, mostly because parts are ample and demand is low, and space is decent under the hood, only downside is the combo of hydro-mechanical and electrical controls working in conjunction, makes for interesting repair work.

1998 Cadillac Eldorado Touring Coupe ~ not very fast from a standstill but also not bad by today's standards, VERY fast on the highway, insane acceleration w/300HP and 3.73 gearset, terrible understeer and body roll(until I put Eibachs on, now it has very little body roll and only minor understeer). Ammenities wise it's great, I mean I have standard features on this car from 10 years ago that some new lux cars only just recieved. Also, it's the most comfortable long distance cruiser I've ever driven and I've driven the eastern seaboard more times than I can count now. Maintainability is terrible, parts are relativley expensive, and working under the hood sucks, period, but it sure is purdy to look at :)

1985/6 Merkur XR4Ti ~ What can I say, my buddies and I wanted to do the $2006 Grassroots Motorsports Challenge and ended up with a fairly decent track car, yes it has it's quirks, but most of them are overcome by clever engineering. We wanted a lightweight, RWD, stick, potential high engine power for cheap ability, w/independent rear suspension, and something we could MegaSquirt. The XR fit the bill perfectly and hasn't let us down in the performance department or really the expense department. While we'll have to wait a couple more millenia to enter it into a GRM challenge, it's far better than we hoped for not really that much more, and as a learning tool it has helped immeasureably...

2007 Ford Ranger 3.0 5spd Sport ~ Fun? No, but VERY functional. Good fuel economy for a truck, decent power (the 4.10 rearend helps a ton w/the 3.0), handles like a truck, rides like a truck, can haul WAY more than the manual says, likes to 'work.' Can beat on all day long, cheap to repair because well beyond facelifts inside and out the mechanicals and underpinnings haven't changed on this truck since 1996, that's right, they're still making and selling a 12 year old design, which means spare part prices are a joke, and you can do 80% of all major work without ever lifting the vehicle on jacks (which is a good thing because it almost sits as high as a newer F-150)...
HY35w, FMIC & BOV, 3" exhaust, 75#/hr, 255lph, MegaSquirt-I V3 w/3bar, T5, 4-point roll bar, rear strut brace, gutted, lexan windows and sunroof, Odyssey PC680, Koni + Ground Control (7" 250#/in) front, KYB (8.5" 600#/in) rear, TC rear brakes
Rocky Leitch
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Rocky Leitch »

Did someone say SHO? Yep, that was a fun ride but not in
town. It drank more than I did :wink:
Most of my former rides where fun. The rides we have
now are just as willing to put smiles on my face.
The fave's are the Capri, XR, and my latest, the Impreza.
Yes, I broke down and bought a winter ride. After last winter
having my first XR trying to take a tree out... That'll teach us.

Rocky
Hellooo Nurse!!
RatFink
Level 4
Level 4

Post by RatFink »

milehighXR wrote:Merks all the way. Yeah that's right, nothing but Merks in our stable. Check my sig. It definitely makes for some interesting days sometimes. I've been Found On Road Dead in my XR more than once- ok more than 5x, but that's not the point... I wouldn't trade my Merks fer nothin' :headbang
Hardcore...lol...

I just realized I have a three, a four, a five and a six cylinder car.
Daniel Llewellyn

"You can never turn a pig into a race horse, but with enough development you can have a pretty damn fast pig".
Randy Pobst

I just love this guy:
hEaT wrote:Bit more work, but saved me $100 and I got to learn things, cut things, burn things and hammer things. All in all, a solid move.