Eaton LSD

XR4Ti / Sierra / Sierra Cosworth Discussions - Questions, problem resolution, general talk, technical tips and modifications.
Merkur Club web site
DPDISXR4Ti
Site Admin

Post by DPDISXR4Ti »

demonfire wrote:still looking for a place to get the spacers.
Home Depot? :dunno (yes, I'm kidding)

Are you thinking someone is going to have those spacers "on the shelf" Ray? I'm pretty sure that you're going to have to get them made. Perhaps there's a market opportunity for you to get a couple sets made and sell them, but I'll leave that decision up to you.
Brad
DSPXR4ti
Level 7
Level 7

Post by DSPXR4ti »

DSPXR4ti wrote:Hello All,

Here is the web page that I got my Eaton from www.reiderracing.com and the part number is gm7/p426 the cost for my Eaton was 325.00, so I'm not sure what summit is doing, except for one good profit margin, call them and ask them for more info on the Eaton and others you may have a better Ideal but the Eaton is what I know that fits.

Ben DSP XR4ti
Hey Ray,,

Did you look here, I know we have talked about it but go to that web page and look under "parts&accessories" then click on ring gear shims and the adjustable shim kits it's all there.

Ben
85 DSP XR4ti, 2009 Solo 2 National Champion, burns muffler, 3in exhaust, Mc2 Full suspension, 325 hps & 328tqr, GMR Intake, Wilwood brakes, Eaton LSD, stand alone ECU. Working on being SM National Champion.
Grayson
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Grayson »

For anyone that is interested in performing this Eaton LSD conversion, I'm setting up a group purchase. I'm going to be purchasing the correct diff from Eaton for our application, so if you participate in this purchase you can save yourself the trouble of having to think. :lol: The prices on these things seems to be skyrocketing lately. Earlier in this thread Ben said that he could get them for $325. Well, Jegs has them listed for $552, and are out of stock. Summit Racing doesn't even list them anymore. Ray Covino mentioned that Advance Auto has these listed for $556. Well, I've been in touch with Eaton, and they say inventory is fine, and I can provide a group purchase price of $415.00 plus shipping as long as we get enough buyers. Honestly, seeing how much praise this diff has received since Ben started using it and I drove it at Nationals, I don't think we'll have any problems getting enough people together. If you want in, just e-mail me at grayson@mc2racing.com.

If you're curious about shims and spacers, I want to get a diff in my possession and perform all the measurements myself. At that point I'll make the shims and spacers that I used for my car available to everyone. I'm sure I'll be able to snag a good price on those, not that they're all that expensive to begin with.
DSPXR4ti
Level 7
Level 7

Post by DSPXR4ti »

Hey Grayson,

I'm in, that will save me about 50 bucks do you have a time frame? as for the shims, the ring gear shims is the most important so I will also wait for one of those, let me know what you need because I'll wait for something I know will be made perfect.

Ben
85 DSP XR4ti, 2009 Solo 2 National Champion, burns muffler, 3in exhaust, Mc2 Full suspension, 325 hps & 328tqr, GMR Intake, Wilwood brakes, Eaton LSD, stand alone ECU. Working on being SM National Champion.
hEaT
Level 7
Level 7

Post by hEaT »

Would there be a difference in the auto and manual XR diffs?
Ray
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Ray »

Brad - actually the spacers are available "off the shelf"

Ben - i called reider this morning - the ring gear spacer is out of stock with no available ETA for when it's going to be back.

Grayson - $415?! that's a steal. that's a real steal. i might have to return mine to get in on that!
if you can find the part numbers from eaton for those two spacers, i can hopefully source them locally. otherwise it's a call to the machine shop.

Joe - i dont know if the cases from the slush boxes and manuals differ. be interesting.

progress is being made! this could be a big deal for merkur owners who want a good, reliable, plug - n - play diff solution.
-Ray
1985 Ford F150 - Tow Missile
1985 Merkur XR4Ti -#141 CP "Miss Daisy"
2005 Subaru LGT
http://www.cartct.com
Grayson
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Grayson »

Joe - There was a guy on Turboford that was having some issues installing a GM diff in his auto XR axle, but I don't know if that will carry over to this issue. I should probably re-read the Turboford thread, but I think he was using an Auburn diff, and I think he was using the "under 3.23:1" diff. If you want to avoid concern altogether, you can send me you automatic diff and I'll build it for you. I'd like to do both versions myself so that I can totally understand the swap in general.

If the proper spacers are indeed out of stock, since we're doing a group purchase I'm sure we can have the ones we need made up. I'd probably have the parts laser-cut roughly and then grind them to spec on the lathe. I'm really not worried about the ring gear spacer. Of course, I'd like to just buy the part from Eaton - that's definitely the first avenue to follow.

Ben - I'll try to get you some details over e-mail in the morning. Regarding the timeframe, we're over half-way to the quota and I haven't even checked my e-mails since 6pm, so I suspect we'll probably close this group purchase within a week.
hEaT
Level 7
Level 7

Post by hEaT »

I have the manual diff, but one of the CT guys may have an extra auto diff lying around. I can't remember if Sam is using his auto diff or Ray's manual rear.
DPDISXR4Ti
Site Admin

Post by DPDISXR4Ti »

demonfire wrote:Brad - actually the spacers are available "off the shelf"
Yea, I see - my bad. :oops: I was under the impression that a generic spacer couldn't be used. It's good to be wrong in this case. :thumb
Brad
Ray
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Ray »

Joe - Sam is using the stock auto diff right now. My manual diff is back at my house, which i might toss back in my xr if i cant get the eaton done before we move.

Grayson - if it's not a trouble, could i potentially request an extra set of spacers from you if i cant source them? If you could shoot me over the part numbers for Eaton i can check locally if i can get them. I had a hell of a time on their website looking for things, and reiderracing didn't have the eaton numbers there.
-Ray
2005 Subaru LGT
deathbypsi
Level 3
Level 3

Post by deathbypsi »

Chris, I have my auto housing with 3.36 gears and my broken posi in it still if you possibly would like to see it or use it for mock up reasons...just as long as I get it back someday.
Brian R.
86 SVO
Grayson
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Grayson »

Brian - I appreciate the offer! I have to admit though, I wouldn't use a case that has endured an internal failure to determine shim sizes or fitment in general. You never know if the sides of the case were pushed a little bit when that Auburn let go.
deathbypsi
Level 3
Level 3

Post by deathbypsi »

:thumb
Brian R.
86 SVO
Grayson
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Grayson »

We've got plenty of members for the Eaton LSD Group Purchase at this point, so I'm going to put a deadline on the offer so that we can all get our diffs in-hand as soon as possible. I'll be trying to place the order with Eaton tomorrow in the early afternoon, so if you're interested in joining the Group Purchase, please try to have payment submitted by 1:00pm Eastern Time on Monday the 13th. If you haven't contacted me to receive a shipping quote, just use these rules of thumb:

$18 to the East Coast/Midwest
$24 to the Rocky Mountain Area & Plains
$30 to the West Coast

The best way to join in fast is to send a PayPal payment to grayson@mc2racing.com for $415 plus the shipping amount that applies to you. If you need to use an alternate payment method, I would recommend calling me at 513-253-9133 for assistance. I'll be machining customer orders for most of the day today, and I'll have the phone by my side.
Ray
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Ray »

that is a very very terrific deal :shock:
-Ray
2005 Subaru LGT