Carlisle 2004...wet but still GREAT!

Discussion topics related exclusively to our annual gathering in Carlisle PA on June 4-6, 2004.
Merkur Club web site
MerkurRS
Level 4
Level 4

Carlisle 2004...wet but still GREAT!

Post by MerkurRS »

Ok, I'll be the first here. Carlisle sure was wet, from Friday night right thru Sunday morning. But I'll tell you that it was still a TERRIFIC event! Lots of Merks attracted the same attention as always, " hey I never saw so many of these cars...even when I lived in Germany!!" said one passer-by.
I am truly amazed at the level of ingenuity that Merk owners possess. There were 2.3's with HUGE turbos, 3.0 v-6's, some with TWIN turbo's and even a few V8 cars. Even the Scorpios were heavily modified with 2.3 turbo and transmission swaps too.
I am not sure what I love more, the cars I see or the friends I make. I guess it would be the friends! Everyone leaves such a positive impression it is overwhelming. I cannot begin to mention everyone, but some that pop into my mind are Johnny from Boulder, CO, Al from Detroit, Ushangy and Larissa from Miami, Davis, Larry, Bob, Steve, Hal, Cliff, Mark, etc, etc, etc. I just love talking to everyone.
Congratulations to everyone who attended and a special congrats to those who took home an award. I know as a judge, this year was more difficult than last. I wish everyone could win something, because I hate choosing one car over another- they're all spectacular!
Thanks Carlisle for holding yet another great event! They did a great job despite being distracted by the emotions of losing such a great friend, Chip Miller.
I am sure may will post pictures real soon (mine are at home) so be patient.
For those who missed it and also for those who didn't PLAN to be there NEXT year as the MCA is trying to make it the biggest and best event yet to commemorate the Merkurs 20th Anniversary!!! You MUST be there!!
2012 Audi S4 Prestige, Black-Optics, APR tuned - runs low-11's
1989 Scorpio-White, a/t- a true survivor car!
1988 Scorpio - Burgundy, a/t- a low mileage survivor!
2004 VW Passat Sedan -W8 6-Speed
2003 VW Passat Variant W8 Auto
1970 Ford XL 390 ci. Convertible
1970 Ford XL 429-4v Convertible
2000 Excursion V10
MagentaRed
Level 5
Level 5

Post by MagentaRed »

I'll second that opinion, Saul. Despite the wet weather, it was one great show. Got to spend some time talking to people who thus far haver been only names on a message board. It was great to finally meet up and talk with John Brennan, Dave Lalin, and Ed Lijewski, and others in person. And also to chat with old friends like Dave Stewart, Craig Madsen, Richard Curtis and so many more. The cars were, as always, awesome, innovative and just plain fun to look at. The awards dinner was one of the best ever. Daniel West put together a presentation that revealed the MCA award winner's car on screen as their names were announced. That was preceded by an onscreen Merkur Trivia Quiz, which tested our knowledge of Merkur facts. And of course the evening was capped by a long list of great prizes donated by various vendors. Sunday was a bit drier although still overcast.
The Carlisle awards were posted at 9am and several owners drove their cars past the grandstand to accept their awards. While some left early, many of us stayed well past the 3pm Carlisle car giveaway to continue talking cars and looking for last minute bargains at the flea market. As Saul said the loss of Carlisle founder Chip Miller was tragic and devastating, but the professionals at Carlisle Productions still put together a fantastic event. Drop them a note of well-deserved thanks. And make plans on being at Carlisle in 2005 when we celebrate 20 Years of Merkur.
You don't want to miss that.
tannehilln
Level 4
Level 4

Post by tannehilln »

:D :D

OK it rained. We spent a lot of time hiding from the rain but it was still fun.

With 115 Merkurs registered we won the club award by a good margin.

Next year for the 20th we should set a new record for cars in attendance.
John Brennan
Level 8

Post by John Brennan »

I want to second the above comments, and (having just landed a couple of hours ago) just say that I am still high over it all! For me, it was as if I could jump into my favorite book and have all the characters come to life. Wilky, you are a GOD!

Thanks to all who treated me so well, and helped me out (thanks, Brad, for the room last night; thanks, "Madcap" Joe for picking me up from the airport!). I felt like I was part of a family, and was treated as such. What a great bunch of people you all are! Be proud of yourselves-- you deserve it.
This is my car, and these are my people!
2015 Fiesta ST
2020 Edge 2.0 Ecoboost
fastmaul
Level 7
Level 7

Post by fastmaul »

John It was soo good to meet you!! Taryn said the same!! she say's your extra cool!! :lol: I'm glad I meet the rest of my unknown mca forum crew(which I think "TO ME") is different than the rest of some of the MCA people. Wilky,Ben,Mark H, and others good to meet you dudes!! Wilky, Taryn likes your car!
I met mr. Norm T, I said hi norm, I'm Erik..aka Fastmaul from the forum, he said oh the trouble maker. :roll: :roll: :roll: Yeah, I guess speaking my mind is always cause for trouble. On a very small note speaking of making trouble...I see the awards were a joke again 8) anyway,
Can we PLEASE go back to the Radisson!!!!!!!!! The Hotel was the biggest dissappointment of the whole trip!!! I hated it and so did alot of others!!!
-Erik
MerkurRS
Level 4
Level 4

Post by MerkurRS »

Erik,
You are not alone in your comments about the hotel. In trying to improve last years event and *try* somewhere different, it may not have worked out as best as we had hoped. It's just like working on your car, you try to improve by trying something different- but you'll never know unless you try!
Everyones comments are appreciated though! Yes the food was LIGHTYEARS ahead of the Raddison, but it was clear that the PARKING LOT, LIGHTING and covered overhangs were more important (TRUE car people!!).
As always, the MCA will strive to improve next years show for the benefit of ALL Merkur attendees (members or not).
If anyone is in the Carlisle area and would like to help make that choice, contact Brad at events@merkurclub.com.
Thanks!!
2012 Audi S4 Prestige, Black-Optics, APR tuned - runs low-11's
1989 Scorpio-White, a/t- a true survivor car!
1988 Scorpio - Burgundy, a/t- a low mileage survivor!
2004 VW Passat Sedan -W8 6-Speed
2003 VW Passat Variant W8 Auto
1970 Ford XL 390 ci. Convertible
1970 Ford XL 429-4v Convertible
2000 Excursion V10
jasonty
Level 6
Level 6

Post by jasonty »

i had to drive to the parking lot!!!!!!i was on the total oposite side of the hotel.im in favor of the radisson or preferabley the old holiday in from 99.also yes the food was good...but i like burgers:)

You are not alone in your comments about the hotel.
jason yancey
stephens city va
87XR-88XR
NOVAMOG

"as long as you keep picking on me I will tend to mad post about me getting mad......"
88_WRC_Replica
Level 4
Level 4

Post by 88_WRC_Replica »

I had a great time, meeting everyone after being away for two years on my Focus trip was great!! The hotel ya it wasn't the best I'm not sure if they expected a 4ft tall person to use the shower in my room but the head was level with the middle of my chest! The Radisson was far away but really it was a far better hotel, the Holiday Inn was interesting as well that being my first Carlisle I don't remember much more than taking pictures of the cars from the balcony.

My vote back to the Radisson we go!

Thanks for a great weekend even if it did rain.

Simon

P.S. can we bring back the Sunday morning AutoX as well? (Asking for miracles now)
1988 WRC Replica Sierra
1988 Mono White XR4Ti
Pictures at http://www.focusedeffect.com/4images/