FAILED SMOG CHECK NEED HELP !!!!

XR4Ti / Sierra / Sierra Cosworth Discussions - Questions, problem resolution, general talk, technical tips and modifications.
Merkur Club web site
preston240sx
Level 2
Level 2

Post by preston240sx »

ok so i failed smog check today and the mech said my car is getting way to much fuel running way too rich what are my possible reasons for this and what will decrease it here's the print out with what i recieved.

turboplz
Level 6
Level 6

Post by turboplz »

not that it will really help....but more power mods with no fuel mods will reduce your richness :D

On a more serious note, how is your base timing and TPS? A LOT can result from that. A little trick you can also do, double check it first, I believe you can set your TPS at a really low value and take it to get it smogged and you *should* have a leaner reading.

I think I saw someone do that on Turboford, but can't swear to it.

Jason
Jason

89 Xr4ti..."Bronze Turd"...long term project/current garage queen

2014 Focus ST
preston240sx
Level 2
Level 2

so

Post by preston240sx »

yeah so how do i run a code reader on my merk? can't seem to find anything in my car plug wise....also how do i check if my vam is bad ? i read that it can make things loopy.... this whole thing has me scratching my head im no person on emission did'nt have emssion's in Pa where im from ....CALI has crap laws
milehighXR
Level 7
Level 7

Post by milehighXR »

Simplest solution is to leave Cali :lol:
Johnny

1 86 XR aka Naomi- my first love, now daily driven project

DCLXVI
onebadazzsrt
Level 5
Level 5

Post by onebadazzsrt »

yeah no $#!*, when I was in cali I got 4 smog tickets for haveing ilegal intake. But yeah my tps was not reading at all and I failed smog pretty bad, it was running too rich, I even put a brand new cat. and about 3 bottles of rubbing alcohol on 5 gals. of gas and it still failed.

If your cars pretty much stock get a waiver for it. I had a shop over here write me a receipt for the amount of the waiver.
J

1987 xr with rs500 fiberglass wing,outcast grill,new shoes,5.0 with GT40 package,powerdyne blower 9psi kit,255
preston240sx
Level 2
Level 2

i wish

Post by preston240sx »

well my job(NAVY) does'nt let me just move lol ... but untill i can move i need to find a way to get my merkur not failing emissions i had a feeling something was wrong im only getting 200 miles A tank of gas .. that explanes the .too much fuel ... what can cause to too much fuel effect ? the vam ? fpr? any idea's if there any why to test the vam?
preston240sx
Level 2
Level 2

humm

Post by preston240sx »

so ur tps was off.... i wonder if i replaced that if it would help... is there any way to test the tps/?
milehighXR
Level 7
Level 7

Re: i wish

Post by milehighXR »

preston240sx wrote:well my job(NAVY) does'nt let me just move lol ... but untill i can move i need to find a way to get my merkur not failing emissions i had a feeling something was wrong im only getting 200 miles A tank of gas .. that explanes the .too much fuel ... what can cause to too much fuel effect ? the vam ? fpr? any idea's if there any why to test the vam?
Can't you just register it in your home state being Navy :dunno
Johnny

DCLXVI
onebadazzsrt
Level 5
Level 5

Post by onebadazzsrt »

go on the NATO website for how to adjust the tps, I bought a non adjustable tps to get me by until I buy the adjustable one, I tried to take the easy way out and the non-adjust isn't cuttin it.

but anyways you need to get a volt meter and set it at like .94-.99 volt?
maybe someone will chime in with a good reading.
J

1987 xr with rs500 fiberglass wing,outcast grill,new shoes,5.0 with GT40 package,powerdyne blower 9psi kit,255
toastersauce
Level 1
Level 1

Post by toastersauce »

1. leave cali, thats what i did
2. find a shop that will do it on the DL they are not that hard to find
3. check ur o2 sensor, mine wasn't getting enough exhaust coz of a leak and it ran rich as hell. if yours is the same or just isn't working properly could be that.
milehighXR
Level 7
Level 7

Post by milehighXR »

Nope you got it. :thumb
Johnny

DCLXVI
DPDISXR4Ti
Site Admin

Post by DPDISXR4Ti »

It it highly unlikely that the TPS is the cause of your rich condition. Regardless, you really need to do proper diagnostic work rather than just blind parts-swapping. And yes, that starts with pulling codes - the connector is over by the inner fender, just forward of the battery. Do you have a code puller?

Do you have an Air/Fuel gauge? They're cheap and easy to install. It'll tell you if you're going closed-loop. I bet you're not.

Have you check fuel pressure? A blown FPR will allow way too much fuel in.
Brad
John R. Rowlands
Level 5
Level 5

Post by John R. Rowlands »

preston240sx,

Along with what Brad said, you also need to clean your EGR valve. When was the last time you had an O2 sensor installed in your XR. You also want to make sure your timing is dead on!

John
If it ain't broke don't fix it!
John Brennan
Level 8

Re: i wish

Post by John Brennan »

milehighXR wrote:
preston240sx wrote:well my job(NAVY) does'nt let me just move lol ... but untill i can move i need to find a way to get my merkur not failing emissions i had a feeling something was wrong im only getting 200 miles A tank of gas .. that explanes the .too much fuel ... what can cause to too much fuel effect ? the vam ? fpr? any idea's if there any why to test the vam?
Can't you just register it in your home state being Navy :dunno
Not to beat this to death, but is CA your home state? If so, then of course you have to pass CA smog regs ("OK, now, just relax..."). But if your home of record is elsewhere, then by all means keep it registered in that state. CA charges all kinds of fees to bring in any 49-stater into their country-- er, state.
This is my car, and these are my people!
2015 Fiesta ST
2020 Edge 2.0 Ecoboost
preston240sx
Level 2
Level 2

yep

Post by preston240sx »

no cali is not my state of .... Im registered in and live in Pa where we have no smog check but the thing is .... to get your base stickers to get on base u have to show proof of passing smog ...gay i know and yes im going to make a code puller today i saw the write up on merkur-tech .. my o2 passed smog check... as it should its awhole 2 days old i changed it for the fun of it ... my timing was set at 15 degree's the smog guy said it was 5 degrees of would that make a big difference ? after i make the code puller we'll see whats happening