FAILED SMOG CHECK NEED HELP !!!!

XR4Ti / Sierra / Sierra Cosworth Discussions - Questions, problem resolution, general talk, technical tips and modifications.
Merkur Club web site
John R. Rowlands
Level 5
Level 5

FAILED SMOG CHECK NEED HELP !!!!

Post by John R. Rowlands »

preston240sx,

ECA= Electronic Control Assembly. (ECU)

Suggest that you do not pass go but go directly to your smog test!!!!

John
If it ain't broke don't fix it!
turboplz
Level 6
Level 6

Post by turboplz »

There is no way you could get a code 10, there would be no way to decipher the "0" the way the scanner is set up.

I looked for my code scanner book but couldn't find it. I believe you are supposed to wait for the engine code signal (two quick beeps) then you give it a quick WOT press (I always just open the throttle body all the way from the engine bay) and wait for the codes.

A code 77 is 99.99% of the time the operator error code. The ECA is the Electronic Control Assembly.

Like mentioned before, I highly doubt your TPS is bad, it may be sticking a little if you have to tap the throttle to get the idle back down once in a while. Have you taken a voltmeter, preferably sweep type, and tested your tps throughout the range?

And lastly, did the car feel like a new car since you put the "pill" in?!!! I know the few times I've forgotten to replace the SPOUT and go for a test drive, the car is just a dog!

Jason
Jason

89 Xr4ti..."Bronze Turd"...long term project/current garage queen

2014 Focus ST
preston240sx
Level 2
Level 2

Re: FAILED SMOG CHECK NEED HELP !!!!

Post by preston240sx »

John R. Rowlands wrote:preston240sx,

ECA= Electronic Control Assembly. (ECU)

Suggest that you do not pass go but go directly to your smog test!!!!

John
well i got a 2 month extension so i can fix things before i go back...i wanna pass with flying color's
milehighXR
Level 7
Level 7

Post by milehighXR »

Either the TPS has taken a dump, or it is not properly set, and therefore not hitting WOT during the test. Make certain you are indeed hitting the floor with the peddle. Then follow the steps to reset the TPS voltage to .95-.99 at idle. You can do this in the KOEO state, just make sure you have it set accurately. When done while the volt meter is still hooked up to it, check to be sure that the TPS goes to 4.5volts+ when you manually move the throttle to full open, still in KOEO state. You also do a resistance sweep across the full range of travel on the TPS, to be sure it has no dead spots. If it does it is done, you need a new one.

And yes, ECA, ECU, ECM, EEC, are the same thing. I think different sections of the manual were written by different people, and this is why there is no consistent name used throughout...
Johnny

1 86 XR aka Naomi- my first love, now daily driven project

DCLXVI
preston240sx
Level 2
Level 2

yes

Post by preston240sx »

turboplz wrote:There is no way you could get a code 10, there would be no way to decipher the "0" the way the scanner is set up.

I looked for my code scanner book but couldn't find it. I believe you are supposed to wait for the engine code signal (two quick beeps) then you give it a quick WOT press (I always just open the throttle body all the way from the engine bay) and wait for the codes.

A code 77 is 99.99% of the time the operator error code. The ECA is the Electronic Control Assembly.

Like mentioned before, I highly doubt your TPS is bad, it may be sticking a little if you have to tap the throttle to get the idle back down once in a while. Have you taken a voltmeter, preferably sweep type, and tested your tps throughout the range?

And lastly, did the car feel like a new car since you put the "pill" in?!!! I know the few times I've forgotten to replace the SPOUT and go for a test drive, the car is just a dog!

Jason
my book say that when it shows the code 10 thats when u proform the WOT test ..now how long do i hold this for ..... because i evertime i do it i get a code 77
turboplz
Level 6
Level 6

Post by turboplz »

out of curiosity, which scanner do you have :dunno With mine, there is no discernible way to tell a zero.
Jason

2014 Focus ST
preston240sx
Level 2
Level 2

so

Post by preston240sx »

turboplz wrote:out of curiosity, which scanner do you have :dunno With mine, there is no discernible way to tell a zero.
i have a innova 3145 it has a digital face
turboplz
Level 6
Level 6

Post by turboplz »

Ok, mine isn't like that, it is just the old-fashioned blinking led light that you count the times it flashes or beeps for the code.

Maybe someone has some more insight with the scanner he has as I have no idea with that scanner's capabilities.
Jason

2014 Focus ST
preston240sx
Level 2
Level 2

ok

Post by preston240sx »

turboplz wrote:Ok, mine isn't like that, it is just the old-fashioned blinking led light that you count the times it flashes or beeps for the code.

Maybe someone has some more insight with the scanner he has as I have no idea with that scanner's capabilities.
yeah i only payed 36bucks for it figured it would be better then making one here's a pic and the code that i brought back on the memory function..Image
milehighXR
Level 7
Level 7

Post by milehighXR »

turboplz wrote:Ok, mine isn't like that, it is just the old-fashioned blinking led light that you count the times it flashes or beeps for the code.

One blink with nothing after is your 10...
Johnny

DCLXVI
CV12Steve
Level 7
Level 7

Post by CV12Steve »

milehighXR wrote:

One blink with nothing after is your 10...
I thought that was nothing before one blink for a 1.
Stephen
LeslieO

Post by LeslieO »

I had the same problem with my '85, it was running super rich and had no power and terrible gas mileage. It had passed CA smog in the past but I had lived out of state for several years and not needed a smog test. I moved back to CA and it failed miserably and ran so rich the oil smelled like gas. After many replaced parts and smog tests, it turns out the wastegate actuator was shot. I bought a new one and it passed with flying colors. It runs great now and gets 23 mpg. Just a thought!

Leslie
85 xr4ti owned since 89
One Black One Maroon
aviatorpa23
Level 2
Level 2

Book says 10 not an error code

Post by aviatorpa23 »

Per the instruction book for a digital code reader "Innova mode; 3145" the code 10 is a " separation code" used to to seperate the first group of codes KOEO self test codes from the CM continuous memory group of codes .. says it is not an error code. continues to say that Code 10 also serves as an indication vehicle's computer has completed the first KOEO self test .. FWIW ... :shock:
Jim D.
Retired and Accepting it!
milehighXR
Level 7
Level 7

Post by milehighXR »

Code 10 in KOEO is separator. In KOER it is the "mash throttle to floor" code to check for full range of TPS.
Johnny

DCLXVI
grve66
Level 4
Level 4

Post by grve66 »

Please change your fuel pressure regulator. If it has any fuel smell or wet at all it needs to be replaced.

then I would check the ECT sensor in the middle of the intake. if it is bad it will cause a rich condition.

If you are willing to drive up to Santa Monica I could help you.