Building G in 2010

* Merkur 25th Anniversary * Topics related to our annual gathering in Carlisle PA on June 4-6, 2010.

Moderators: DPDISXR4Ti, Merkur

Merkur Club web site
DPDISXR4Ti
Site Admin

Building G in 2010

Post by DPDISXR4Ti »

We had the opportunity to "take over" Building G at Carlisle for ourselves this year, but we weren't sure what everyone thought of that idea so we "punted" for now. I suspect we'll have that same opportunity for 2010, so I figured I'd throw the idea out there now and solicit feedback - not so much right now, but everyone who attends this year should make a point of visiting Bldg G and see how you'd feel about "making camp" there in 2010. Between the building and surrounding grounds, there are spots for over 200 cars, so it might be a nice alternative to having to fight for parking space like we did in 2005.

Discuss....

<edit - fixed multiple grammar errors - duh...>
Last edited by DPDISXR4Ti on Tue Mar 03, 2009 12:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Brad
jasonty
Level 6
Level 6

Re: Building G in 2010

Post by jasonty »

Sounds great for the 25th.

DPDISXR4Ti wrote:We had the opportunity to "take over" Building G at Carlisle for ourselves this year, but we weren't sure what everyone thought of that idea so we "punted" for now. I suspect we've have that same opportunity for 2010, so I figured I'd throw the idea out there now and solicit feedback - not so much right now, but every who attends this year should make a point of visiting Bldg G and see how you'd feel about "making camp" there in 2010. Between the building and surrounding grounds, there are spots for over 200 cars, so it might be nice to having to fight for space.

Discuss....
jason yancey
stephens city va
87XR-88XR
NOVAMOG

"as long as you keep picking on me I will tend to mad post about me getting mad......"
merkurdriver
Level 8

Post by merkurdriver »

jasonty wrote:Sounds great for the 25th.
( x 2 )
DPDISXR4Ti
Site Admin

Post by DPDISXR4Ti »

merkurdriver wrote:
jasonty wrote:Sounds great for the 25th.
( x 2 )
Right, that's what I was kinda thinking - do something different for the 25th.

But make a point of walking over there this year - by my estimation, it's about 150 yards further away from the stage, as compared to our usual spot. But it's closer to the vendor "flea market" area.
Brad
xr4man
Level 6
Level 6

Post by xr4man »

i like it. we could have shade instead of tent city like last year.

but, i'm expectling over 236 cars for 2010, so if we are over there with all that space, how are we gonna encroach upon the mustang and t-bird areas?

or can we just go and park over there anyway? :twisted:
ian the re-animator
MerkurScorpio
Level 5
Level 5

Post by MerkurScorpio »

I think it's a great idea! Plus, we'll be out of the hot sun, a definite plus!

By the way, I'm still looking into the possibility of organizing that Guinness World Record parade on the Carlisle Showfield for 2010! ;-)
-Paul-Michael Van Hook, Northeastern PA
'89 Merkur Scorpio "HookSport"

Paul-Aaron Zachary Van Hook is one year old! Born 11/4/2009!

My Facebook page
milehighXR
Level 7
Level 7

Post by milehighXR »

xr4man wrote:i like it. we could have shade instead of tent city like last year.

but, i'm expectling over 236 cars for 2010, so if we are over there with all that space, how are we gonna encroach upon the mustang and t-bird areas?

or can we just go and park over there anyway? :twisted:
Only 236 :poke We had 250+ in 05, and I don't remember fighting for parking either. Of coourse when you get there early enough to park your POS on the main drag you don't have to fight for anything...

I think it's a great idea. Lets hope I can make it...
Johnny

1 86 XR aka Naomi- my first love, now daily driven project

DCLXVI
DPDISXR4Ti
Site Admin

Post by DPDISXR4Ti »

milehighXR wrote:Only 236 :poke We had 250+ in 05, and I don't remember fighting for parking either.
Nope, we had 236 in 2005. Ian didn't just pull that number out of the sky ...or his butt.

But you're correct that if you get to the show-field early, there are no issues getting a spot. Get there late, and all bets are off ...that was especially the case in 2005 when fist-fights damn near broke out, but we've had issues with that as recently as last year.
Brad
milehighXR
Level 7
Level 7

Post by milehighXR »

That's odd, I could sworn we had 250 something. But whatever you guys have a better grip on those numbers than I do...
Johnny

1 86 XR aka Naomi- my first love, now daily driven project

DCLXVI
xr4man
Level 6
Level 6

Post by xr4man »

actually me and brad just came up with that number and decided to tell everyone thats what it was. you're actually right with 250+ cars. :lol:
ian the re-animator
DPDISXR4Ti
Site Admin

Post by DPDISXR4Ti »

xr4man wrote:actually me and brad just came up with that number and decided to tell everyone thats what it was. you're actually right with 250+ cars. :lol:
In that case, it was actually 372!
Brad
xr4tice

Showfield Parking

Post by xr4tice »

I would like to thank the MCA for doing a great job once again with this event. I think everything went off without a hitch with the exception of non-merkur vehicles being parked on the showfield causing the group to look disorganized. I parked next to a contour/mystique, and that was parked next to a maxima. Very silly and pure acts of laziness on the owners behalf. This will be very important for next year if we move over to the alternative show area. Thanks,
Nate Williams
DPDISXR4Ti
Site Admin

Re: Showfield Parking

Post by DPDISXR4Ti »

xr4tice wrote:I think everything went off without a hitch with the exception of non-merkur vehicles being parked on the showfield causing the group to look disorganized.
I agree Nate. We go through this every year. Some people like Colin were totally cool about it and parked their "non-Merkur" up on the hill way out of the way.

But back to the Bldg G topic, we need to sort out a couple things, but the general consensus seems to be favorable for being there in 2010.
Brad
$KRILLA
Level 6
Level 6

Post by $KRILLA »

Thumbs up on that plan
Merkur

Post by Merkur »

Good points about the non-Merkurs being parked on the showfield. I know that I made some enemies this weekend asking people politely to move their cars up the hill. For some reason Merkur owners think that they have a right to park in the Merkur aisle if they register their car and then bring a rental or back-up car. Not only does this spoil the overall look and feel of the showfield, pictures etc, it makes the judging harder and makes a mockery of the Carlisle "Fun Field" voting.

Hell - even Dave's minivan won an award this year!

paul
Paul "the Brit" West
Doylestown, PA