Red 87 XR going under the knife!

Documenting your big project with photos/videos? Have photos/videos to share of anything Merkur related? Place your links to photos and videos here. Please - Merkurs and Merkur-related pictures only. Cosworths welcome!!
Carlisle and event related pictures are to be placed in the relevant section under 'Events'.
Merkur Club web site
turboxr4

Post by turboxr4 »

here are some pics of the car at the body shop.

turboxr
Level 5
Level 5

Post by turboxr »

Looking really good!
ckanani
Level 1
Level 1

Post by ckanani »

Awesome! Looking forward to future updates.
Charles
turboxr4

Post by turboxr4 »

here is an update, body work is slowly getting there. I picked up the rebuilt bottom end and rebuilt head with bigger valves, ranger roller and some porting from the machine shop and mounted it to an engine stand to start putting it together :headbang . also i steam cleaned all the carpeted interior parts which made a world of a difference. i need to order some misc. parts like a clutch (need an upgraded one but not too crazy, something i can DD with a max. of 300 hp, any ideas?), 255lph fuel pump, etc. anyway when i get some more info i will update. here are some pics!!!

right rear quarter that was damaged by previous owner and used alot of BONDO :banghead
rebuilt bottom end
rebuilt head with bigger valves, ranger roller and some mild porting
jay_tibo
Level 3
Level 3

Post by jay_tibo »

Updates? new pics, I,m curious to see the color you chose
Jeremie Thibeault
DPDISXR4Ti
Site Admin

Post by DPDISXR4Ti »

Sorry Gus, but your update post from Sunday or Monday was one of the ones that got zapped. If you get a chance, feel free to post it up again so that we can follow the progress.

Again, apologies for the lost post.
Brad
turboxr4

Post by turboxr4 »

hey guys, its been a while since my last update :cry: due to the bodyshop having employee issues which basically meant the car was not getting worked on for a couple weeks. anyway he called me out of the blue and told me he was back on track :applause. hopefully it will be done by the end of the month which gives me a month of sleepless nights to get it back together for Carlisle. here are some pics

turboxr4

Post by turboxr4 »

It has been a year since my last post, it is crazy how fast time flies. the body shop had many delays any many excuses, progress was slow, so slow that my wife got pregnant and gave birth on 3/28/10 to my son Evangelos (the best thing that happened to me in my life) named after my father who passed away 2 weeks before his birth from battling with lung cancer for 9 months before the car ever got painted! The color me and my wife chose is a 2009 IS 350 Matador Red Mica which has a nice metallic sheen in the sun, anyway here are a couple pictures right before and after paint, now he is wet sanding/polishing and putting all the panels together for me to pick up hopefully by the end of next week. now i can start putting all the parts that i took off and bought back on which are taking up space in my basement, garage etc. needless to say my wife is happy about that!

Mike McCreight
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Mike McCreight »

:shock:
It's not a hobby, it's an obsession!
ckanani
Level 1
Level 1

Post by ckanani »

Glad to see that you're back on track with your project. That car is going to look sweeeet when you get it back together. Congrats on the birth of your son, and I'm looking forward to more updates. Aloha.
Charles
BAHAMACHARGER
Level 1
Level 1

Post by BAHAMACHARGER »

:shock: That looks so cool :lol: I had a 1987 CAPRI 2.8i in that colour, If it's REGENCY RED METALIC :? Looks really nice fella :wink:
nathankershaw
Level 5
Level 5

Wow!

Post by nathankershaw »

:shock:

That looks so nice!
A mirror finish paint job, ahh, I can dream!
Keep up the good work!
1987 Merkur XR4Ti. T5 swapped. GAZ gold coilovers. Custom rear strut brace. Polybushed everything. Mustang ten hole wheels. Mercury Tracer front bumper.
Camaro5690
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Camaro5690 »

so beautiful....hope to do this to my XR one day. But with Gold Paint as close to original as possible.
turboxr4

Post by turboxr4 »

finally the car has returned home after a year long waiting game :reno: now i have to make some free time to start putting it together, where to start is the question. anyway here are some pictures when it arrived.

and here are both cars in my updated garage with 2 post lift that i installed a couple months ago along with some custom work benches
that me and my brother built :headbang: sure makes working on the cars easier

xr4ti41028
Level 2
Level 2

Post by xr4ti41028 »

damn that red is really nice both good looking cars and at least i am not the only one with a extension cord coming from back of their xr lol
Thomas

Graham, washington