AutoX Returns to Carlisle in 2009!

Discussion topics related exclusively to our annual gathering in Carlisle PA on June 5-7, 2009.
Merkur Club web site
Grayson
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Grayson »

I trust the SCCA to do a better job than a local Corvette Club anyway. I know that particular region has spawned some national champions too. This event should run just fine.

The 10am start time is nice...we won't have to wake up too early.
DPDISXR4Ti
Site Admin

Post by DPDISXR4Ti »

Grayson wrote:I trust the SCCA to do a better job than a local Corvette Club anyway. I know that particular region has spawned some national champions too. This event should run just fine.

The 10am start time is nice...we won't have to wake up too early.
But you misunderstand grasshopper - pay no attention to what the Carlisle web-site says - it IS the CVCC that will be running the event. In their haste to shut Brad up, the Carlisle webmaster just grabbed the text from the Import show, where the SCCA is running that AutoX event.

Trust me, that 10AM start-time was no accident. :lol:
Brad
John Brennan
Level 8

Post by John Brennan »

Thank you, Master Poo!
This is my car, and these are my people!
2015 Fiesta ST
2020 Edge 2.0 Ecoboost
Ray
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Ray »

Oh man, this is tempting. Problem for me is i'm the chair for that weekends autocross with my local club.

However - if they let us have ridealongs, i'd love to both have grayson & anglin ride with me and drive my car to get their feedback.

I'm going to have to reconsider - if i go to carlisle, i can lose my points lead (i'm battling some mustangs and such that are CP - prepped and it's TIGHT), but i might gain enough experience with the advise of the wise where i can make the points back up...
-Ray
1985 Ford F150 - Tow Missile
1985 Merkur XR4Ti -#141 CP "Miss Daisy"
2005 Subaru LGT
http://www.cartct.com
Grayson
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Grayson »

Anglin is going to be presenting that crazy front suspension of his in front of the Senior engineering design panel Carlisle weekend, so he won't be available for a ridealong.
Ray
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Ray »

Grayson,

Did you lay the smackdown? You better have.

I had obligations with my local club Carlisle weekend (event chair, course designer) so i couldn't make it out to Carlisle. Won here, tho.
-Ray
2005 Subaru LGT
xr4man
Level 6
Level 6

Post by xr4man »

i'd say the smackdown was laid.
ian the re-animator
DPDISXR4Ti
Site Admin

Post by DPDISXR4Ti »

xr4man wrote:i'd say the smackdown was laid.
Agreed. 2nd place in the "Merkur division" was about 8 seconds back (on a 40-something second course no-less). :shock: The only thing that beat Grayson (by less than a second) was a fully gutted and prepped race car with about 300% more power. :lol:
Brad
Ray
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Ray »

sometimes less than a second feels like an eternity.

glad to hear grayson did well :)

and 8 second gap - that's just not cool, but not cool in a hilarious way. kinda wish i could have made it to see how i'd stay up. oh well.
-Ray
2005 Subaru LGT
DPDISXR4Ti
Site Admin

Post by DPDISXR4Ti »

demonfire wrote:and 8 second gap - that's just not cool, but not cool in a hilarious way. kinda wish i could have made it to see how i'd stay up. oh well.
Yea, it really was hilarious to see how ridiculously well Chris drove the car. Terry Watson, a reasonably accomplished driver himself, was ~8 seconds slower in the same car (admitedly with no previous seat time).
Brad
Ed Lijewski
Level 8

Post by Ed Lijewski »

Grayson ran that course like he was in a slot car.

I'd like to see he and Ben Martinez duel in AutoX.

YMMV 8)
Descartes: "Cogito Ergo Sum"
Lijewski: "Sum Ergo Drive-O. Mucho!
Grayson
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Grayson »

Does anyone have access to the results of the Carlisle autocross? I guess I can't speak objectively about the results without having the results. :wink:

I actually liked that little Carlisle autocross course. I thought it would be a bad experience but they did a good job with the space that they had available. It was actually a very fun course to race - the changing camber of the course definitely made things interesting.
Ed Lijewski
Level 8

Post by Ed Lijewski »

I wondered why--or if--they set it up so you turned right all the time. So G-force in turning holds the driver against the door?

YMMV 8)
Descartes: "Cogito Ergo Sum"
Lijewski: "Sum Ergo Drive-O. Mucho!
Grayson
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Grayson »

The course just doesn't give you many options when it comes to turning predominantly left or right. A large flat lot gives you all sorts of options, but the rectangular Carlisle course limits what you can do.
SARON81
Level 5
Level 5

Post by SARON81 »

demonfire wrote:sometimes less than a second feels like an eternity.

glad to hear grayson did well :)

and 8 second gap - that's just not cool, but not cool in a hilarious way. kinda wish i could have made it to see how i'd stay up. oh well.
It was 6 seconds. :P
:oops: In my defense... my car has completely stock suspension, and brakes. It's a 221,000 mile daily driver with working AC. I've never driven it competitively, and haven't raced anything in over two years. :P
It's easy to say you'd be fast if you weren't there. :wink:
Graysons car was waaaaaayyyy fast though.

Grayson wrote:Does anyone have access to the results of the Carlisle autocross? I guess I can't speak objectively about the results without having the results. :wink:

I actually liked that little Carlisle autocross course. I thought it would be a bad experience but they did a good job with the space that they had available. It was actually a very fun course to race - the changing camber of the course definitely made things interesting.
I've always thought it was fun for what they have to work with. Here's a shot of the time sheets. I never felt like I got either of the 180 turns right, especially in the same lap. It really killed me when I lost too much momentum, because it took forever for my junk turbo to spool back up.

Last edited by SARON81 on Tue Jun 09, 2009 12:55 pm, edited 2 times in total.