New Front End

Scorpio / Scorpio Cosworth Discussions - Questions, problem resolution, general talk, technical tips and modifications.
Merkur Club web site
ramizuno13

New Front End

Post by ramizuno13 »

I'm looking for help on importing a front end from a '95 or newer Scorpio from the EU. I would really like the look of the "Frog", but know they weren't imported. Any suggestions? Or maybe a EU member who might want to help. i'm not looking for a freebie. Maybe a Scorpio the has been junked(except the front end :wink: )
And I know this isn't to everyone's liking. I like the newer front, but couldn't part with the rear hatch design!
Richard M.
Scorpio - Flat-out the best car ever made!!!
Freejack
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Freejack »

You like the look of the frogs...you may just be the only one ;)

I take you are looking to mount the frog front end to our US Scorps?

I'd be willing to bet the pre-95 and post-95 cars are significantly different cars and this is not just a bolt on.

[EDIT] :beats head I just realized the shot above is an earlier Scorp/Granny with a later front end...seems to be a lot of effort for no gain.

Jake
Jake Schnarre
In the St. Louis area? Join the St. Louis Area Merkur Owners Network (SLAMON) - http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/slamon/
John V
Level 7
Level 7

Post by John V »

Freejack wrote:You like the look of the frogs...you may just be the only one ;)

I take you are looking to mount the frog front end to our US Scorps?

I'd be willing to bet the pre-95 and post-95 cars are significantly different cars and this is not just a bolt on.

[EDIT] :beats head I just realized the shot above is an earlier Scorp/Granny with a later front end...seems to be a lot of effort for no gain.

Jake
Jake, in therapy it's called enabling. And I don't know if we should be enables to this kind of sickness.
so somebody saying they do, when even a sidelong glance has been known to make street hoods toss their cookies, can only be seen as a cry for help, a way of "acting out" akin to say maintaining a belief that "cutting one" at the dinner table is "just being natural"..

Nobody could really like the Frog Eye Scorps
I believe what it really means is deep down inside the guy wants something different than his current car superficially, but is unaware the huge cost of importing thin, easily damaged large bulky items which i would estimate the freight alone would be over $2000 to the East Coast THEN TRUCKING.

No it is an absurd idea on the face of it so it cannot be taken seriously but only as a cry for help.

He needs a funn-er car, he needs a nice Xratty!
Freejack
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Freejack »

:haha :haha :haha :haha :haha :haha

Heh, Ram...ignore John, he's just speaking the truth.

Jake
Jake Schnarre
In the St. Louis area? Join the St. Louis Area Merkur Owners Network (SLAMON) - http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/slamon/
Taps
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Taps »

Well I never, a half ugly Scorpio, on Brit plates as well
DPDISXR4Ti
Site Admin

Post by DPDISXR4Ti »

The only thing that might make any sort of (semi) rational sense is importing the front suspension and cross-member from the '95+ car. I casually looked into this, and it seemed do-able. I believe I was told that the cross-member would bolt-in as-is.

The later assembly is fully triangulated and thus much more stable, I would imagine. It was the most "evolved" of all the original Sierra assemblies, with "big" bearing hubs and pinch-bolt TCA's, in addition to the aforementioned triangulation.

I'd suggest at least waiting until 2010, and then you could bring over a whole car through Canada. Get one with a 2.5 TD and MT-75, and I might have some interest in financing part of your adventure.
Brad
Taps
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Taps »

DPDISXR4Ti wrote:The only thing that might make any sort of (semi) rational sense is importing the front suspension and cross-member from the '95+ car. I casually looked into this, and it seemed do-able. I believe I was told that the cross-member would bolt-in as-is.
will double check but dont think its a direct bolt in and would require body mods
DPDISXR4Ti
Site Admin

Post by DPDISXR4Ti »

Taps [Rob] wrote:will double check but dont think its a direct bolt in and would require body mods
Yea, so? :lol:

At a minimum, you'd need to fab' up some sort of mount for the forward link. It seemed like perhaps everything else might be bolt-in. You'd know better m8.
Brad
Taps
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Taps »

95 on front subframe

Mike McCreight
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Mike McCreight »

Nevermind the front end stuff, Rob...
Can you get me a line on the seat cover(s?) on the next car over?
Maybe a group buy? :idea:
It's not a hobby, it's an obsession!
Taps
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Taps »

Mike McCreight wrote:Nevermind the front end stuff, Rob...
Can you get me a line on the seat cover(s?) on the next car over?
Maybe a group buy? :idea:
Which ones you after.
Mike McCreight
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Mike McCreight »

These.
Taps
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Taps »

Hens teeth m8, your most likely looking at the last set in existence so group buy is out the window
Mike McCreight
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Mike McCreight »

Damn...
I could really start a trend with a set of those. I didn't realize how cool they were until I opened the file with my viewer. Here's an attempt at it, so people can see how cool thay are.
Damn.
scorpioaddict
Level 5
Level 5

Post by scorpioaddict »

JC Whitney doesn't have something like this? If they don't, there's no hope :)