No start....No nothing...

Scorpio / Scorpio Cosworth Discussions - Questions, problem resolution, general talk, technical tips and modifications.
Merkur Club web site
Scorpnut

No start....No nothing...

Post by Scorpnut »

My Scorpio will not start. I turned the key and...nothing. Changed battery, starter, alternator and battery cables and still nothing. I was told to check my ignition and my ignition switch is fine. Any help wolud be appreciated. At a loss!!!!
MerkurScorpio
Level 5
Level 5

Post by MerkurScorpio »

It might be your coil or computer.
-Paul-Michael Van Hook, Northeastern PA
'89 Merkur Scorpio "HookSport"

Paul-Aaron Zachary Van Hook is one year old! Born 11/4/2009!

My Facebook page
Teedyo
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Teedyo »

Not being a Scorpio guy, I probably shouldn't comment but, anyway... If you truly mean "nothing" as in doesn't even crank and known good battery and starter..

If nothing works; ie lights, radio, blah; it is most likely to be a fusible link.

I would check for voltage at the 'S' terminals on the starter relay and the starter solenoid. If nothing at either place; check the fusible links. Most Fords have these coming off of the battery side of the starter relay; some directly off of the pos battery terminal. If a link is bad, replace it. If they're good; you know that the problem is between there and the relay.

If the 'S' terminal on the relay tests 12*V but not at the starter; the problem (probably) lies with the relay or the wires between it and the starter. Unless the Scorpio is wired way different than other Fords.

Next would be to check the items between these points--the ignition switch and the neutral-safety switch. With the trans selector in park or neutral; make sure that there is continuity through the Neutral-safety switch. If no continuity; adjust switch until there is or replace if continuity cannot be achieved.(Actually, I don't think it's adjustable on the Scorp) If it has continuity; the next step is to test the ignition switch and the circuits on either side.

I'm kind of assuming that the Scorpio has a fender mounted relay?

If I knew exactly how the Scorpio was wired; I could give you a step by step, but....
--
Tim
scorpioaddict
Level 5
Level 5

Post by scorpioaddict »

Here's the wiring diagram:
http://www.aphenos.net/scorpio/electric ... _start.jpg

Did you check the neutral safety switch?
blugg
Level 7
Level 7

Post by blugg »

Does it crank?

TFI?
Jeff
Scorpnut

Post by Scorpnut »

It will not even crank or turn over......forgot to mention that..
John Tumminia
Level 2
Level 2

Post by John Tumminia »

Sounds like the fusable link run a wire from the + to the fuse box that will back feed the system.I'm not sure if its the inside spade or outside.
Had to do it one night to get home.
John
14 89 auto scorpios
3 89 5 speed scorpios
4 88 auto scorpio

I drive all of them....................................................................................................................................not all at once
Scorpnut

Post by Scorpnut »

I'm not sure wher to run the wire to....the fuse box or what. I need more information. I will try to do this Saturday. I'm trying to find my neutral safety switch to check continuity....I will keep trying to solve this issue.
John Tumminia
Level 2
Level 2

Post by John Tumminia »

Do the head lights work?? in side lights??if nothing works then its the link.95% sure.yes from the + to the fuse box pull a fuse leave the door open and stick the wire in it if the interior lights dont come on try the other side of the fuse.
PM me and ill give you my tele#
John
14 89 auto scorpios
3 89 5 speed scorpios
4 88 auto scorpio

I drive all of them....................................................................................................................................not all at once
John Tumminia
Level 2
Level 2

Post by John Tumminia »

see if your 4 ways work? they dont go through link
14 89 auto scorpios
3 89 5 speed scorpios
4 88 auto scorpio

Teedyo
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Teedyo »

I would verify the fusible links with a multimeter first. If you use John's feed-back method and use the interior lights as an indicator; make sure that is not the fuse you pull to test or the results would be just the opposite.
--
Tim
Scorpnut

Post by Scorpnut »

Well it started. I took the cap off the start relay and touched the coil and turned the key and ....it started. I don't know if that was the problem. Well now all I have to do find out why my a/c isn't working. Thanks for all the help.