Weird whine noise. Please tell me it's not a trans issue!!!

Scorpio / Scorpio Cosworth Discussions - Questions, problem resolution, general talk, technical tips and modifications.
Merkur Club web site
MerkurScorpio
Level 5
Level 5

Weird whine noise. Please tell me it's not a trans issue!!!

Post by MerkurScorpio »

I've noticed a slight whine noise coming from just ahead of the passenger compartment. It only surfaces as first gear approaches the 1-2 upshift, and even then occurs kind of sporadically. The whine itself has something of a turbine like "quality" to it. It's not really loud, and in fact many people would probably not even notice it. My father seems to think there's nothing terribly out of sorts going on, but I'm not so sure. Needless to say, I'm hoping it's not a sign of yet another transmission issue, but I wanted to gather some input from all of y'all.

I've heard that such a noise could be an indication of the guibo going, or perhaps even something like a belt or a bad transmission filter. There hasn't been any change in the car's performance whatsoever.

Any thoughts? Any help would be hugely appreciated!!!
-Paul-Michael Van Hook, Northeastern PA
'89 Merkur Scorpio "HookSport"

Paul-Aaron Zachary Van Hook is one year old! Born 11/4/2009!

My Facebook page
scorpioaddict
Level 5
Level 5

Post by scorpioaddict »

Yeah, first gear might be a little noisy. Doubt it's a guibo or filter. Fluid level okay? I'd probably drive it until it broke or got too noisy, which could be quite a while, depending.
MerkurScorpio
Level 5
Level 5

Post by MerkurScorpio »

scorpioaddict wrote:Yeah, first gear might be a little noisy. Doubt it's a guibo or filter. Fluid level okay? I'd probably drive it until it broke or got too noisy, which could be quite a while, depending.
I've heard more than a few people say it's much more normal than one would think. The fluid level seems to be ok, but I'm going to drain it all out and refill it a few times. An excellent A4LD rebuilder gave me that advice, and just like you said, suggested I just drive it from that point and I will likely have no problems.
-Paul-Michael Van Hook, Northeastern PA
'89 Merkur Scorpio "HookSport"

Paul-Aaron Zachary Van Hook is one year old! Born 11/4/2009!

My Facebook page
Ed Lijewski
Level 8

Post by Ed Lijewski »

I'd first check with the trans in Park and the hood open, manually move the throttle linkage and see if the sound might be coming from other than the trans itself--like a PS pump, alternator bearing, or other component, or possibly even just a sympathetic vibration of a metal shield somewhere.

YMMV 8)
Descartes: "Cogito Ergo Sum"
Lijewski: "Sum Ergo Drive-O. Mucho!
dcvilla
Level 1
Level 1

Post by dcvilla »

[quote="MerkurScorpio"][quote="scorpioaddict"]Yeah, first gear might be a little noisy. Doubt it's a guibo or filter. Fluid level okay? I'd probably drive it until it broke or got too noisy, which could be quite a while, depending.[/quote]

I've heard more than a few people say it's much more normal than one would think. The fluid level seems to be ok, but I'm going to drain it all out and refill it a few times. An excellent A4LD rebuilder gave me that advice, and just like you said, suggested I just drive it from that point and I will likely have no problems.[/quote]

I would put my money on the bad alt bearing, belt or ps pump idea. Adjusting the belts and seeing those parts are kind o funky on the Scorpio and best done from under the car whilst it is up on ramps.
MerkurRS
Level 4
Level 4

Post by MerkurRS »

MerkurScorpio wrote:
I've heard more than a few people say it's much more normal than one would think. The fluid level seems to be ok, but I'm going to drain it all out and refill it a few times. An excellent A4LD rebuilder gave me that advice, and just like you said, suggested I just drive it from that point and I will likely have no problems.
Sounds quite excessive to me!
Go buy an automotive stethoscope. I have used them for years and they're great for isolating bearing whine (alternators, pumps, pulleys, etc) Start with that...it's cheap and who never needs more tools?! :lol:

You could check the fluid and more specifically the filter for shavings if you must, but it shifts OK so you or probably fine.
Besides, don't you have a baby room to work on!?

If all else fails, turn up the radio. :wink:
2012 Audi S4 Prestige, Black-Optics, APR tuned - runs low-11's
1989 Scorpio-White, a/t- a true survivor car!
1988 Scorpio - Burgundy, a/t- a low mileage survivor!
2004 VW Passat Sedan -W8 6-Speed
2003 VW Passat Variant W8 Auto
1970 Ford XL 390 ci. Convertible
1970 Ford XL 429-4v Convertible
2000 Excursion V10
Ed Lijewski
Level 8

Post by Ed Lijewski »

MerkurRS wrote:
MerkurScorpio wrote:
Sounds quite excessive to me!
Go buy an automotive stethoscope. I have used them for years and they're great for isolating bearing whine (alternators, pumps, pulleys, etc) Start with that...it's cheap and who never needs more tools?! :lol:

You could check the fluid and more specifically the filter for shavings if you must, but it shifts OK so you or probably fine.
Besides, don't you have a baby room to work on!?

If all else fails, turn up the radio. :wink:

Off topic...what was the reason your driver's side rear window wouldn't raise up at Carlisle?

YMMV 8)
Descartes: "Cogito Ergo Sum"
Lijewski: "Sum Ergo Drive-O. Mucho!
MerkurRS
Level 4
Level 4

Post by MerkurRS »

The off-topic reply is, I don;t know. I parked the car in the garage and thats where it still sits. I had major disc surgery in my neck a few days later and I am recovering from that, so no auto work (or any work) for me for a while.
I suspect the motor went since neither switch could convince it to move up. You would think these parts would last longer than 20 years!! :lol:
Time will tell, thanks for asking!
2012 Audi S4 Prestige, Black-Optics, APR tuned - runs low-11's
1989 Scorpio-White, a/t- a true survivor car!
1988 Scorpio - Burgundy, a/t- a low mileage survivor!
2004 VW Passat Sedan -W8 6-Speed
2003 VW Passat Variant W8 Auto
1970 Ford XL 390 ci. Convertible
1970 Ford XL 429-4v Convertible
2000 Excursion V10