Scorpio Part Deux

Scorpio / Scorpio Cosworth Discussions - Questions, problem resolution, general talk, technical tips and modifications.
Merkur Club web site
FocusSVT
Level 5
Level 5

Scorpio Part Deux

Post by FocusSVT »

First of all, I need to to give a big "THANKS" to Blake in Cedar Park Texas for posting on here about the black 88 Scorpio he was donating. After I promised my wife "this would be the last one" I contacted him and made plans to make the trip to Texas to get it.

The story behind the car is that Blake's neighbor showed up with it about 8 months ago. He played around with it for awhile, but then one day it wouldn't start and he kind of gave up on it. It sat in his driveway for 3 months until they up and moved out. Blake said he just rolled the car out of the driveway and left it by the curb. It set there for another 3 months until Blake decided to do something with it. I guess the key was just left in the car. After awhile he realized he didn't have time for it, so he listed it on Craigslist and here. I saw it first on Craigslist, but didn't think much of it. It was 600 miles away and i just wasn't tempted. So after not much interest he then posted here that if someone wanted it, to come and get it. Okay, NOW HOW DO I TURN THAT DOWN? So I loaded up the trailblazer, a tow dolly, and two of my three kids, and headed to Texas. We got there last night around 7 PM. Blake helped me load up the Scorpio, even helped me disconnect the driveshaft. He told how the police came by Friday to tow away the "abandoned" car and that his wife talked them out of it because I was on my way down on Tuesday. Blake and his family were SUPER NICE. I tried to give them some money for the car for their trouble, but they wouldn't take it. I think I am going to send them a gift card of some sorts just because of how much they went out of their way for me.

Also, the license tag on the car was last stickered in 1994. I'm not sure what to make of this, but I don't think it has been on the road for awhile. Hopefully after I get a battery installed, I can start reviving her back to life!

Anyway, here are some pictures! Yes I am totally excited about this new project! I think I can have it on the road very shortly

This, I am excited about

Paint is the only real issue with the body, I feel better about taking on this project vs. all of the body work my blue 88 will need

First time I have ever seen the "deleted mile trip computer option" in person, kind of cool.

It is a March of 87 build, so I get the "rear air" option. Again, I have never seen this in person, so kind of cool.

Cloth interior is perfect. The dash is destroyed, but luckily I have my built in parts car which has the same interior, except for the leather.

Well I could go on for quit awhile, but I won't. I will start up a thread in the photo area to update things as I get them fixed and so forth.

Happy 40th b-day to me! Merry Christmas, Happy "all future anniversaries", and "Happy every Father's day" from here on out!

Later,

Darren Needham
Andover, Ks.
88 Blue Scorpio (132k) "Now a parts car :("
88 Black Scorpio (75k) " NO RUST"
03 Silver Focus SVT (88K) "Feeling like a redhead step child"
BassnTruck
Level 2
Level 2

Post by BassnTruck »

This is really funny. Because just last week I drove down to Wichita to pick up an 89. She mentioned that she had someone offer her $300 for it. Would this have been you?

The thing has a clean body rust wise so far. Interior is pretty bad but not the worse I have ever seen. Said it ran but battery was dead and I forgot to grab mine on the way out the door. Windshield and 2 other windows need replaces from cracks, missing, and shattered. It has had the wiring hacked up and melted a few spots in the fuse box. Steering wheel is falling apart under the dash. Some kids tried to steal the stock audio system. A BB hole in the rear tail light. And a few dents. Passenger turn light is on with tape.

Got it back here and looked it over a little the other day. Vacuumed out the massive amount of trash and glass all over the car. It is leaking from everywhere. The AC compressor is about to fall apart. Put a battery in it and cranked it over. Got it to catch but the IAC is dead so you have to keep it running. Has a miss but have not looked into it yet. Limped it into the driveway. Have not done much to it yet.

I have been waiting many years to get another Scorpio in good condition. I bought an 88 a year ago in Saint Louis with a typical rusting body and a fair interior. No keys with it and I never heard it run but they claimed it did. So it has just been sitting around. Until I went to move it about 4 months ago and wound up ripping the rear bumper off the car and smashing the front end when it got rolled into. I put a battery in it the other day and cranked the 88 over. Got it running on starter fluid and seemed found the fuel tank was dry. I will dump some fuel in it and test it.

Between the 88 I should have enough parts to put the 89 together. I am going to compression test the 2 motors and which ever one is better will get put in the 89 (or stay). The 88 has a trans rebuilt about 30k ago I have been told and it seems to be true as far as I can tell. I am trying to finish up a different project right now but will try to get started on this one soon. I will try to get some photos of them up soon.
0 Merkurs left.
Chuck W
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Chuck W »

Cool! Another 87MY car.

Mine had only a few more indicated miles on it when I got it.

If it hasn't been driven/run in that long, you'll probably be in for a round of part/fluid replacement and going through things just to get them working again.

Was the title with the car? What are you doing about that?
"Strange women, lying in ponds distributing swords is no basis for a system of government. Supreme executive power is derived from a mandate from the masses, not from some farsical aquatic ceremony."
FocusSVT
Level 5
Level 5

Post by FocusSVT »

Reply #1: Yes, I looked at the 89 here in Wichita. She was asking $1000 when I looked at it and with the issues I thought it was only worth around $300, I hope you got a good deal!

Reply #2: I ran a carfax on it this morning. The last time it was registered was 1991! I had sent an email to the dept of transportation in Texas about applying for a lost title. The email I got back was please call us so we can start the process. I will keep you posted.
Last edited by FocusSVT on Thu Jun 11, 2009 1:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
FocusSVT
Level 5
Level 5

Post by FocusSVT »

Oops! Apparently I was supposed to notify the local police "before I took it" to make sure it wasn' t stolen! I just sent them a detailed email about what I did and what I need.
Hope I don't go to jail!
Don't think the wife would bail me out!
Darren Needham
Andover, Ks.
DPDISXR4Ti
Site Admin

Post by DPDISXR4Ti »

Nice save Darren! You've got 51 weeks to get it ready for Carlisle 2010!

I wouldn't sweat the title stuff too much. Worse case, you should be able to track down the title from a "retired" black Scorpio. No, that's not legal, but in the real world, nobody is gonna care.
Brad
BassnTruck
Level 2
Level 2

Post by BassnTruck »

FocusSVT wrote:Reply #1: Yes, I looked at the 89 here in Wichita. She was asking $1000 when I looked at it and with the issues I thought it was only worth around $300, I hope you got a good deal!
Well I bought it sight unseen with the 1 bad picture she posted on CL. All I was told is that it had new tires, new starter, some electrical work, and the one window was Plexiglas. I drove the 3 hours down there to get there at 10pm and the complex it was in was pitch black so I could not even see anything on the car. I forgot to bring my flashlight. :roll: Right before I left she said some kids broke into it and tried to take the stereo and messed up the steering column. Told me I probably did not want it now. I told her I would still take it just not at the already agreed price. (Which after seeing what I have now was a little on the high side.) She said if I still wanted it I could just come take it. I told her I would still give her some money for it. So I went down and picked it up and gave her $125. She said she had lost the title for it so before I left I filled out a lost title form and had her sign it. Got back and Monday sent it off. Should have the title in 2 weeks.

So I think I did pretty well on this one. I should be able to put 1 good one together. But I am not doing anything more to it until I get the title in my hand. But I guess you know the condition the car is in.
0 Merkurs left.
FocusSVT
Level 5
Level 5

Post by FocusSVT »

Wow, I'm sorry you went thru all of that. At least you got it for less. When I looked at it, it had the BB shot, and the driver's side window was out, but that was it. I hope you can make a good one out of the parts.

Later,
Darren Needham
Andover, Ks.
FocusSVT
Level 5
Level 5

Post by FocusSVT »

Hey Brad, I am planning on Carslisle 2010! That has been my biggest regret from our previous years owning both our 89 Scorpio, and my 89 XR. My plan for now is to get the mechanical issues all squared away, and if things work out, have it painted by next May.

Update on the title issue. I received an email back from the local police station. The officer was very nice, he checked the vin and the car isn't stolen, he just wanted to talk Blake (Guy I got car from) to see if he had contact info on the guy that gave him the car. He said it shouldn't be a big deal.

Later,
Darren Needham
Andover, Ks.
Rooster
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Rooster »

Congrats on the car you actaully have a rare early scorpio... believe iit or not a non leather scorpio and non trip computer is not very common... most of the cars here where fully loaded... congrats on the purchase
-Rooster..
1985 Merkur XR4Ti "New plan"
1986 Merkur XR4Ti Stock, Low miles unmodded will be that way 4ever
1989 Merkur Scorpio white and Tan "Casper" Daily Driven
milehighXR
Level 7
Level 7

Post by milehighXR »

DPDISXR4Ti wrote:Nice save Darren! You've got 51 weeks to get it ready for Carlisle 2010!
Slow down :poke , he's got 7ish weeks to get it ready for my hootenanny on Aug 8th. Great find. I may have a source for some Scorpio parts here in CO if you want, or need anything.
Johnny

1 86 XR aka Naomi- my first love, now daily driven project

DCLXVI
MerkurScorpio
Level 5
Level 5

Post by MerkurScorpio »

Sweet Scorpio! Super rare find too! You should definitely keep the dash as is with the trip computer delete. I've never seen one like that in person, and I bet 99% of everyone else hasn't either.
-Paul-Michael Van Hook, Northeastern PA
'89 Merkur Scorpio "HookSport"

Paul-Aaron Zachary Van Hook is one year old! Born 11/4/2009!

My Facebook page
FocusSVT
Level 5
Level 5

Post by FocusSVT »

I was kind of thinking about keeping the non-trip computer option. I have one in the other car, so maybe I will use it sometimes, and take it out for show.

My preliminary inspection this morning found that the battery connections are butchered pretty good. I temporarily hooked up my good battery to it and tested windows etc. As it is right now the fuel pump isn't running. This could be because of the butchered up battery connection issues. I didn't really look that close this morning. I will investigate over the weekend.

Thanks again for everyone's support. I am very excited about restoring this beauty.

Later,
Darren Needham
Andover, Ks.
FocusSVT
Level 5
Level 5

Post by FocusSVT »

As of tonight at 7 PM, the car has a heart beat! The car had been non-running. I diagnosed it as no fuel pressure. I immediately suspected the battery connections, because they were BAD. I did some r&r and to my relief I now have 40 psi at the fuel rail. I haven't tried to start it yet. I am going to change out the oil and antifreeze tomorrow before I give it a try, but I am confident she will fire up. :D

Later,
Darren Needham
Andover, Ks.
FocusSVT
Level 5
Level 5

Post by FocusSVT »

Well, I have a little time pressure now. There is a moderate risk of severe weather here in South Central Kansas today, with a 45% probability of hail and a 10% probability of Tornado's in our area. So I am going to haul a** and get the oil and antifreeze changed. Hopefully at that point I can get it into the garage before Armegedon breaks out.

Later,
Darren Needham
Andover, Ks.