Replacement suspension

XR4Ti / Sierra / Sierra Cosworth Discussions - Questions, problem resolution, general talk, technical tips and modifications.
Merkur Club web site
Jamesmerkur

Replacement suspension

Post by Jamesmerkur »

I have an 86 xr and the suspension is getting pretty narly, but i dont want to just put stock stuff back on, i talked to a guy that said something about bmw suspension fitting on it. so my question is what can i get, from other cars or new that will fit and would i have to do any mods to make it fit? thanks
ALConfederate
Level 4
Level 4

Post by ALConfederate »

Go to the MC2Racing site http://www.mc2racing.com/ and take a look around there. There's a lot of good stuff and I'm sure they can set you up with what you need.

I've never heard of junkyard suspension components being usable on our cars, with the exception of things like brake parts. I'm very much afraid that if you're looking for cheap shortcuts, you may be in the wrong car.
Dave M.
'89 XR4Ti "The Black Death"
('cause it's black and spends a lot of time dead...)
John Brennan
Level 8

Post by John Brennan »

Sounds like you mean replacing the suspension with something else, not merely replacing the parts-- right?

People have used the Supra rear end to good effect-- and the compression strut/blade sway bar front looks pretty promising as well.

Is that where you're going with this?
This is my car, and these are my people!
2015 Fiesta ST
2020 Edge 2.0 Ecoboost
Jamesmerkur

Post by Jamesmerkur »

im just looking for a good proformance suspension instead of just replaceing stock stuff
mangostick
Level 4
Level 4

Post by mangostick »

I second www.mc2racing.com

those boys will not steer you wrong ;) Good parts, good people.. just good all around.
where'd I put that damned hammer?? :-D

Shawn Mangan
Ray
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Ray »

Third recommendation for mc2racing. they're very helpful, and you cant beat their prices.
-Ray
1985 Ford F150 - Tow Missile
1985 Merkur XR4Ti -#141 CP "Miss Daisy"
2005 Subaru LGT
http://www.cartct.com
Jamesmerkur

Post by Jamesmerkur »

thanks ill check them out
zero pistons
Level 4
Level 4

Post by zero pistons »

I'm very happy with the Rapido complete handling kit I got from russ rapido...

Upgraded swaybars, polyeurethane bushings, upgraded springs, shocks and struts..

If your lookigng to go cheap, maybe not, but it's a grat complete kit....I think it was a little under $2000.00
Andrew Nicholson
87 XR4Ti, 305000 km. In primerl, t9, Rapido suspension & swaybars, poly bushings, HKS SSQ BOV, Plymouth Laser seats, Custom guages/dash lighting, 2.5" turboback, mk3 Supra intercooler, LA3/large VAM, Nissan Pulsar e-fans.
87 XR4Ti, 181000km. Parts car.
87 RX7 TurboII, 179000km. Needs love.
John Brennan
Level 8

Post by John Brennan »

zero pistons wrote:I'm very happy with the Rapido complete handling kit I got from russ rapido...

Upgraded swaybars, polyeurethane bushings, upgraded springs, shocks and struts..

If your lookigng to go cheap, maybe not, but it's a grat complete kit....I think it was a little under $2000.00
Looking at your sig, it says you have 24 X 15mm swaybars, which are not dimensions I'm familiar with in Sierra/Merkur applications. I thought Russ' kits had 28.5 X either 16 or 19mm swaybars...? Also, do you know what the spring rates are?
This is my car, and these are my people!
2015 Fiesta ST
2020 Edge 2.0 Ecoboost
Grayson
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Grayson »

I've never heard of any BMW suspension parts fitting the XR. Seeing how Ben Martinez just won a National Championship by defeating a ton of 3-series BMWs, I'm not sure I would want to swap out an XR suspension for a BMW one anyway. 8)