Some pictures are just nail it...

Documenting your big project with photos/videos? Have photos/videos to share of anything Merkur related? Place your links to photos and videos here. Please - Merkurs and Merkur-related pictures only. Cosworths welcome!!
Carlisle and event related pictures are to be placed in the relevant section under 'Events'.
Merkur Club web site
DSPXR4ti
Level 7
Level 7

Post by DSPXR4ti »

What I was trying to do is shortening the length and keeping down the amount of turns going from the turbo to the intake runners to keep up the air speed, I guess, it all makes sence to me :roll: .

Ben
85 DSP XR4ti, 2009 Solo 2 National Champion, burns muffler, 3in exhaust, Mc2 Full suspension, 325 hps & 328tqr, GMR Intake, Wilwood brakes, Eaton LSD, stand alone ECU. Working on being SM National Champion.
RatFink
Level 4
Level 4

Post by RatFink »

DSPXR4ti wrote:What I was trying to do is shortening the length and keeping down the amount of turns going from the turbo to the intake runners to keep up the air speed, I guess, it all makes sence to me :roll: .

Ben
Makes sense to me too. Innovative, nice work!
Daniel Llewellyn

"You can never turn a pig into a race horse, but with enough development you can have a pretty damn fast pig".
Randy Pobst

I just love this guy:
hEaT wrote:Bit more work, but saved me $100 and I got to learn things, cut things, burn things and hammer things. All in all, a solid move.
grve66
Level 4
Level 4

Post by grve66 »

very similar to the way I had mine rotated also..
http://www.merkurtech.com/merkurtech/in ... ric005.jpg

http://www.merkurtech.com/merkurtech/in ... ric003.jpg

it made the intercooler tube about 1 1/2 feet shorter..
DSPXR4ti
Level 7
Level 7

Post by DSPXR4ti »

Thats the way I have my FMIC because of the SCCA rules, I can't cut holes, or mod the body to put in a FMIC.

The only differents is..I 120ed my upper intake

which saved more intercooler tubing.

Ben
85 DSP XR4ti, 2009 Solo 2 National Champion, burns muffler, 3in exhaust, Mc2 Full suspension, 325 hps & 328tqr, GMR Intake, Wilwood brakes, Eaton LSD, stand alone ECU. Working on being SM National Champion.
Ray
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Ray »

What are you doing for an idle air control valve Ben? That's almost identical to how i want to build my upper intake, but i plan on using either the stock TB or a mustang TB.
-Ray
1985 Ford F150 - Tow Missile
1985 Merkur XR4Ti -#141 CP "Miss Daisy"
2005 Subaru LGT
http://www.cartct.com
John Brennan
Level 8

Post by John Brennan »

hEaT wrote:One thing to take into consideration to is if you rotate the compressor side and still use the factory flanged inlet, it's going to be pointing in a weird direction.
There are different ways of dealing with this, but one is to make an adapter which has the effect of rotating that inlet back to the right orientation. Or, buy Richard Thompson's, if he's still making them;

http://www.merkurxr4ti.com/myparts.html

Scroll down, you'll see it.
This is my car, and these are my people!
2015 Fiesta ST
2020 Edge 2.0 Ecoboost
DSPXR4ti
Level 7
Level 7

Post by DSPXR4ti »

Ray wrote:What are you doing for an idle air control valve Ben? That's almost identical to how i want to build my upper intake, but i plan on using either the stock TB or a mustang TB.
Hey Ray,

Throttle body, idle air control, TPS all came from a 99 ford explorer, with the 4.0 V6. The main reason I went this way was because I didn't want to cut/shorten my throttle cable when turning the upper intake. The thing I liked about it was the fact that it's shorter then the 5.0 throttle body, which meant that the turn into the throttle body had a nice radius, not a very sharp 90.

Ben
coupelx
Level 2
Level 2

Post by coupelx »

DSPXR4ti wrote:
Ray wrote:What are you doing for an idle air control valve Ben? That's almost identical to how i want to build my upper intake, but i plan on using either the stock TB or a mustang TB.
Hey Ray,

Throttle body, idle air control, TPS all came from a 99 ford explorer, with the 4.0 V6. The main reason I went this way was because I didn't want to cut/shorten my throttle cable when turning the upper intake. The thing I liked about it was the fact that it's shorter then the 5.0 throttle body, which meant that the turn into the throttle body had a nice radius, not a very sharp 90.

Ben
i really like that throttlebody. its alot shorter than my SC throttlebody. whats the bolt pattern like? it match up to anything else?
1987 Xr4ti
DSPXR4ti
Level 7
Level 7

Post by DSPXR4ti »

So I had some jack up upper intakes laying around and cut the base flange & the TB flange. So the bolt pattern I used is the stock XR TB bolts pattern and redrilled the TB to fit, It looks as though it's just like the 5.0 bolt pattern but not sure.

Ben
DSPXR4ti
Level 7
Level 7

Post by DSPXR4ti »

OK I just looked up the part number and it actually go to a 87-93 5.0 mustang, Sorry about that. If you look under Feabay you can see them look under item #280587243771 for a used one.

Ben
anglin
Level 7
Level 7

Post by anglin »

RatFink wrote:It's the stud and nut under the elbow.
I totally had that one as soon as I saw it. Just didn't see the thread until now. It was probably easy for me to spot because I worked on this model just the other day!

That is a cool picture, BTW.
Anglin email: - anglin at mc2racing.com
www.mc2racing.com
hEaT
Level 7
Level 7

Post by hEaT »

Anglin, what's the bung in the side for? BPV that close to the turbo?
C-Rock
Level 2
Level 2

I got this one

Post by C-Rock »

This looks like a NEW front mount RS 500 Style Intercooler set up, with a 90 degree intake. Set up with a rotated turbo and using a Cosworth turbo housing and the 3 inch down pipe. This looks like it is a total Area 51 project.

C-Rock
RatFink
Level 4
Level 4

Post by RatFink »

anglin wrote:
RatFink wrote:It's the stud and nut under the elbow.
I totally had that one as soon as I saw it. Just didn't see the thread until now. It was probably easy for me to spot because I worked on this model just the other day!

That is a cool picture, BTW.
8)
Daniel Llewellyn

"You can never turn a pig into a race horse, but with enough development you can have a pretty damn fast pig".
Randy Pobst

I just love this guy:
hEaT wrote:Bit more work, but saved me $100 and I got to learn things, cut things, burn things and hammer things. All in all, a solid move.
anglin
Level 7
Level 7

Post by anglin »

hEaT wrote:Anglin, what's the bung in the side for? BPV that close to the turbo?
That's what Rapido used it for. Combine the use of this location for the BPV and and 3/4" diameter BPV and you realize how underdesigned Rapido's bypass valve system was. I have a plug in mine. There's also an undrilled bung on the back side that's more properly sized for thermocouple or something.
Anglin email: - anglin at mc2racing.com
www.mc2racing.com