Red 87 XR going under the knife!

Documenting your big project with photos/videos? Have photos/videos to share of anything Merkur related? Place your links to photos and videos here. Please - Merkurs and Merkur-related pictures only. Cosworths welcome!!
Carlisle and event related pictures are to be placed in the relevant section under 'Events'.
Merkur Club web site
ckanani
Level 1
Level 1

Post by ckanani »

Both of you made a good choice.
Charles
whitelx
Level 7
Level 7

Post by whitelx »

where did you get the inserts for the front bumper?
1986 XR4Ti - 294rwhp/315ft-lbs
1992 Mustang 5.0 notch - 434rwhp/445ft-lbs
http://www.youtube.com/user/whitelx
xr4outcast
Level 3
Level 3

Post by xr4outcast »

Which came first the chicken or the egg? I was looking for a color that had a strong presience in the sun and indoors, so that's what I picked:)

As for the inserts, they are O.E. I just refinished them and reinstalled them.
Rob Booth
turboxr4

Post by turboxr4 »

i got my inserts from the uk, for the front bumper. they have double sided tape on the back so it is not like the OE that clip in.

i was looking around for at least a couple months before i dropped it off at the body shop 2yrs ago for a red that i liked, one day i was driving by a train station parking lot and there was an is350 with rims sitting by itself with the sun reflecting off it, that was my ah-ha moment
xr4outcast
Level 3
Level 3

Post by xr4outcast »

Mine was similar... when the color came out an IS pulled into a parking lot at night and it was just glowing and thats when I though I needed to use that color on something. Fast forward a bit and a I had a project that needed a NICE red.
Rob Booth
turboxr4

Post by turboxr4 »

a little update: i installed new drum brakes, wheel cylinders, & hoses, had the drums cut and cleaned up then i painted them black. i also installed the walbro 255lph pump, gas tank, mirrors, all the window seals and mouldings, and installed the rear bi-spoiler. however i cant find the spoiler plugs for the bolts, does anyone know where to get them? dont mind the dust :shock: i guess when it gets a little warmer i should wash it

John Brennan
Level 8

Post by John Brennan »

Looks pretty darned clean to me! A little surface dust; BFD.

Must admit I'm curious as to why you stuck with the drums, after going through all that trouble?

I've reshod my drums in the past, but have no intentions of ever doing it again.
This is my car, and these are my people!
2015 Fiesta ST
2020 Edge 2.0 Ecoboost
turboxr4

Re: Red 87 XR going under the knife!

Post by turboxr4 »

finally i got some time the past couple weekends to do some more work. i installed the false firewall and re-routed the harness behind it, installed some engine bay components, block with head and transmission. all in all a productive two weekends. does anyone know where i can get some wiring harness clips to mount to the frame/inner fender areas?