Doubts about the swap to a XR4i <GM V8 LS Swap>

General discussion relating to club happenings and items related to Merkurs in general such as "Merkur sightings". If you just signed on, please feel to start a new thread and introduce yourself here. Posts specifically regarding either the XR4Ti or Scorpio should go in those specific forums. Feel free to make suggestions on improving this forum here as well.
Merkur Club web site
DPDISXR4Ti
Site Admin

Post by DPDISXR4Ti »

LS2XR4 wrote:I was thinking about making some mounts. but it would involve chopping the crossmember and making pockets over the steering rack to be able to use a biscuit style mount,not how I did it before.
Maybe then, offer the modified X-member on an exchange basis? I think you could limit it to the AL block. I know if I was to move forward with this, I wouldn't even consider the iron block.
Brad
Cmmv
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Cmmv »

LS2XR4 wrote:well if you use a quicktime bell housing you wont have any tunnel shaping. and will make the chassis mods very minor.

the biggest part is the motor mounts. and there are also mounting differences from iron block to aluminum. but its all in the cross member.

how I did it, you better have a lift. and if the quicktime bell was out when I did my swap. I would have used it. Would have saved me a lot of time.

but my tranny is so close to the firewall , that you are not gonna be pulling the tranny to do a clutch. you have to drop the whole sub frame and lift the car off the sub frame. which is actually easy since I made everything quick connect.

I could have the engine and tranny out of the car in a 1 1/2 hours.
Thats what i liked most, if its used a quicktime bell housing the modifications in the tunnel would be minor or not modifications at all.

Now about the cross member, this part is modify? or just fits one according to the specs of the engine?
John V wrote:Are there ordinary 2,3 SOHC motor in Venezuela?

If so its just a matter of importing pistons, maybe rods for a high out motor, exhaust manifold, ECU, and turbo/intercooler....
The thing is with a 2,0l turbo motor cars the size and weight of Sirras can go just like cars with big giant American motors.

V8 type torque is no mystery and with the correct turbo torque is available as soon as you want, and as much as you want.

Of course if somebody just wants to do some giant project because its unique, that's one thing, but if performance and cost means anything, it sure seems like a lot of effort for nothing really different.
Well, the only 2.3 Engine is the Ford Ranger from 2004 onwards. There one 2.0 from the Focus its a Duratec engine. About the part of the cost, i think it would be more cost to bring this parts (pistons, ECU and turbo/intercooler) for the 2.3 or 2.0 engine, not to mention the proper maintenance that has to do to the engine. And an other detail it's the availabality of the parts and service here. Unfortunately not many people has the proper knowledge to do a service on a turbo engine, shure some one could know how to build the engine and started, but some of these projects of which I have seen the most use them for competition (1/4 miles) very few people build them for everyday use.

If i lived on States it would be very different, maybe i would consider in build an 2.3 engine with turbo or an Cossworth engine, but then instead of one i would have two cars.

So consider the point of parts and service like John Brennan told me, it's better to me a V8 Chevy engine or Ford engine for their service and parts, it's much easier to get it here and there in the States.
DPDISXR4Ti wrote:Maybe then, offer the modified X-member on an exchange basis? I think you could limit it to the AL block. I know if I was to move forward with this, I wouldn't even consider the iron block.
I have this question... in the case of the X-member has some damage (it is all rusted) of which car can be adapted in the XR engine bay, consider the Chevy engine swap?
DPDISXR4Ti
Site Admin

Post by DPDISXR4Ti »

Cmmv wrote:
DPDISXR4Ti wrote:Maybe then, offer the modified X-member on an exchange basis? I think you could limit it to the AL block. I know if I was to move forward with this, I wouldn't even consider the iron block.
I have this question... in the case of the X-member has some damage (it is all rusted) of which car can be adapted in the XR engine bay, consider the Chevy engine swap?
Nothing that I know of, short of another Sierra or Scorpio. Best bet would be to acquire another X-member from another Merkur/Sierra/Scorpio and modify it. That's probably a good idea regardless - you can do that ahead of time before pulling the car apart.
Brad
Cmmv
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Cmmv »

DPDISXR4Ti wrote:
Cmmv wrote:
Nothing that I know of, short of another Sierra or Scorpio. Best bet would be to acquire another X-member from another Merkur/Sierra/Scorpio and modify it. That's probably a good idea regardless - you can do that ahead of time before pulling the car apart.
That it's an great idea. Like i always said, "Sometimes the best solutions is the simplest one and yet we can't see it" thats one of the first things that i will do when i starts this project.

One more question:

That part or piece i don't what it's his original name. I know it like differential of transmition. Now my question or doubts is: Some friend told me that it's necessary to replace that part because of the torque of the engine. Leaving the original it causes a lot of slip an drifting on the tires, thats his explanation. This is true? And... it is necessary to replace it, of what car can be obtained to adapt in the Merkur or Sierra?
DPDISXR4Ti
Site Admin

Post by DPDISXR4Ti »

Cmmv wrote:That part or piece i don't what it's his original name. I know it like differential of transmition.
Yes, that's the differential. It is separate from the transmission. If the two were combined as one assembly it would be called a transaxle, but that is not the case here.

BUT, that is not a stock differential. At least, it's certainly not stock for any Merkur. Can you get some more pictures? Just be sure to use jack-stands before getting underneath there!
Brad
Cmmv
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Cmmv »

DPDISXR4Ti wrote:
Cmmv wrote:That part or piece i don't what it's his original name. I know it like differential of transmition.
Yes, that's the differential. It is separate from the transmission. If the two were combined as one assembly it would be called a transaxle, but that is not the case here.

BUT, that is not a stock differential. At least, it's certainly not stock for any Merkur. Can you get some more pictures? Just be sure to use jack-stands before getting underneath there!
Sorry man, that is the only picture that can appreciate good the differential. That photo is originally from this post: http://forum.merkurclub.com/forum/viewt ... ht=#165667 and it belongs to the user LS2XR4 it take the photos to show me the double exhaust system. May be he can tell us what differential is that.

Now in this post: Cobra Suspension project i was watching and it could be that, the differential in the picture above be from a Mustang??
DPDISXR4Ti
Site Admin

Post by DPDISXR4Ti »

Cmmv wrote:That photo is originally from this post: http://forum.merkurclub.com/forum/viewt ... ht=#165667 and it belongs to the user LS2XR4
Ah, okay - thought it was your car. Yes, that's a Ford 8.8 with steel rear cover and custom half-shafts.
Brad
John Brennan
Level 8

Post by John Brennan »

So did I-- was going to say, you're all set!

For our cars, and especially if you're going to go V8, the strongest option is the Toyota Supra differential. Talk to John V. here who has already replied to you, and look at www.mc2racing.com as well, Chris Anglin and Chris Grayson, who have a couple of Ford-based packages to offer. Otherwise, we have various European-sourced Cosworth difs, some Stateside-sourced GM difs for which you modify the stock case, and of course the Ford 8.8 shown in the picture. Of them all, the Cosworth Scorpio 24V is, I believe, the only direct bolt-in which does not require modification. Search in here and on Merkursport, and you'll see a lot of information, hopefully enough to help you decide.
This is my car, and these are my people!
2015 Fiesta ST
2020 Edge 2.0 Ecoboost
Ghost
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Ghost »

Right, and then after spending the money you still have a POS buzz-bomb 2.3T that sounds like it's going to throw itself through the hood when you push it.

Yes, I really am regretting spending the time & money putting the 2.3 back in my car. That's ok though, I'm already collecting the pieces to remedy that issue.

A swap is never easy, there are a million things that pop up that will need either more money or fabrication (or both). Take your budget and multiply by 3. That applies to a "simple rebuild" of a 2.3 as well.
John V wrote:Are there ordinary 2,3 SOHC motor in Venezuela?

If so its just a matter of importing pistons, maybe rods for a high out motor, exhaust manifold, ECU, and turbo/intercooler....
The thing is with a 2,0l turbo motor cars the size and weight of Sirras can go just like cars with big giant American motors.

V8 type torque is no mystery and with the correct turbo torque is available as soon as you want, and as much as you want.

Of course if somebody just wants to do some giant project because its unique, that's one thing, but if performance and cost means anything, it sure seems like a lot of effort for nothing really different.
'85 XR4Ti: Stuck in "Project Forever" SC LS swap hell...
Image Image
"All cruelty springs from weakness" - Seneca
LITTELHAWK
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Doubts about the swap to a XR4i <GM V8 LS Swap>

Post by LITTELHAWK »

but my tranny is so close to the firewall , that you are not gonna be pulling the tranny to do a clutch. you have to drop the whole sub frame and lift the car off the sub frame.
Are you thinking the T5 would eliminate this or is that just the tunnel shaping? I'm looking into the swap, but I'm kind of hung up on which transmission to go with. All the options seem to be around the same price between a bulletproofed T5, T56, and TKO. The sixth gear would be nice. I might try to start with a 4L60E and swap to a manual later if I can snag a deal on one.

Also, did you ever end up making some mounts?
'85 Mineral Blue & '87 White Barn Find parked in '92
Power Tryp

Post by Power Tryp »

LITTELHAWK wrote: Tue Oct 30, 2018 11:37 pm
but my tranny is so close to the firewall , that you are not gonna be pulling the tranny to do a clutch. you have to drop the whole sub frame and lift the car off the sub frame.
Are you thinking the T5 would eliminate this or is that just the tunnel shaping? I'm looking into the swap, but I'm kind of hung up on which transmission to go with. All the options seem to be around the same price between a bulletproofed T5, T56, and TKO. The sixth gear would be nice. I might try to start with a 4L60E and swap to a manual later if I can snag a deal on one.

Also, did you ever end up making some mounts?
Just a heads up, its best to check the time stamp when digging through old posts because LS2XR4 posted that on Tue Dec 28, 2010 2:17 pm. Although he was last online in February his last post was a year ago.
Ford Parts Geek.

87 XR4TI
80 924 Turbo
LITTELHAWK
Level 1
Level 1

Post by LITTELHAWK »

[/quote]
Just a heads up, its best to check the time stamp when digging through old posts because LS2XR4 posted that on Tue Dec 28, 2010 2:17 pm. Although he was last online in February his last post was a year ago.
[/quote]

Yeah, I wasn't really expecting an answer right away. Thought he may have this thread set up to receive notifications if anyone posted on it or see it if he decided to check in one day. I'm just starting to look into this anyway, I'm still a long way off from gathering everything and implementing. I'll try to contact him directly if I have to when the time comes.
'85 Mineral Blue & '87 White Barn Find parked in '92