HELP.! Body parts needed.

XR4Ti / Sierra / Sierra Cosworth Discussions - Questions, problem resolution, general talk, technical tips and modifications.
Merkur Club web site
John V
Level 7
Level 7

Re: HELP.! Body parts needed.

Post by John V »

MerlinMerkur wrote:Aye there are about 25 spot welds you'll have to cut - its a serious job indeed. The fender I have are already cut off in the above prescribed method and would need to be welded/filled in when reinstalled.
There's 51 or 52 spot welds and 2 short mig welds near the bottom.
Ask me how I know its 51-52. :puke

Ford bolted on the fenders in their later rally shells, so it must be OK.

Spot weld cutter ---or two. Keep the speed low, pressure up.
John Vanlandingham
Sleezattle WA USA
CALL =-> (206) 431-9696 <-= CALL

http://www.rallyrace.net/jvab/
MerlinMerkur
Level 7
Level 7

Post by MerlinMerkur »

51 crap lol I stand corrected!!
Maybe I was using the government issue calculator, you know... the one where everything is depicted half what it really is... like program cost, tax rates, unemployment numbers, and fraudulent votes... that kinda calculator.
Oops.
~Travis
87.5 Mono XR- LA3, FMIC, Adj Cam, Gillis, CAI/Cone, +15% rates - Koni adj, Coss frnt/rr sways, rr brc., Ported manis, 3" DP w/dualz, PBRs, rear disks and enough gadjets and switches to make Batman jealous! And more comin! Speak up.
roger longman
Level 2
Level 2

Post by roger longman »

Thanks Brad, Travis and John, Still waiting to hear from Dominic. Should I bolt on the replacement fender through the holes drilled through the welds ?.....Roger.
MerlinMerkur
Level 7
Level 7

Post by MerlinMerkur »

I don't see why not, as long as you seal the bare metal on all the holes that were drilled. When I did mine I welded about 3-4 critical spots and used 3-4 bolts in other spots, made it easier should there be a "next time". Body filler covered up all the ugly which I sanded and blended making none-the-wiser. Don't forget to paint/seal the body side of the fender mount as well. I painted that, let it dry, then painted the fender separate (around the holes) then did all the fitting work. My car has no rust so... wanted to keep it that way.
~Travis
87.5 Mono XR- LA3, FMIC, Adj Cam, Gillis, CAI/Cone, +15% rates - Koni adj, Coss frnt/rr sways, rr brc., Ported manis, 3" DP w/dualz, PBRs, rear disks and enough gadjets and switches to make Batman jealous! And more comin! Speak up.
roger longman
Level 2
Level 2

Post by roger longman »

Thanks Travis, is the mono white paint available, in aerosol form preferably ?......Roger.
MerlinMerkur
Level 7
Level 7

Post by MerlinMerkur »

Mm idk about that, never actually looked for the Ford YX? diamond white in aerosol, I used a low press gun for all the painting. I bet there's something close enough to blend in nicely though.
~Travis
roger longman
Level 2
Level 2

Post by roger longman »

Thanks Travis, is it known as 'diamond white' officially, though ?....Roger.
MerlinMerkur
Level 7
Level 7

Post by MerlinMerkur »

That's what the sales brochure called it yes. Course.. it means right about nothing, as there are about 374 kinds of white, probably the most common shade color EvEr.
~Travis
roger longman
Level 2
Level 2

Re: HELP.! Body parts needed. Bumper cover ?

Post by roger longman »

Hi all, Well she's looking a lot better now. I got someone, who knew what he was doing, for the cutting and welding. I would rather buy a good bumper cover than paint the one I have. Does anyone know how to contact the guy refered to, selling one for $40.00 on craigslist, haven't been able to track him down ?.....Roger.
MerlinMerkur
Level 7
Level 7

Post by MerlinMerkur »

Roger, I have an unpainted one (grey before they started painting them) It has that common "hump" in the middle where they used that epoxy stuff but its in good shape otherwise. I can match that 40$ as well, +shipping of course.
Honestly if you are going to paint it you will want an unpainted one, unless you can find one already painted the right color, even then, it may be faded or fresher than yours - but then again, so will a new painted one be!

Let me know if you can't find another.

~TE
~Travis
roger longman
Level 2
Level 2

Post by roger longman »

Hi Travis, Thanks, I have one,the correct color white, that came with the rest of the body shell, that I bought from Dominic. I'm just trying to avoid the re- painting of it.......Roger.
murdomino
Level 2
Level 2

Post by murdomino »

Well im glad my merk is going to live on Rodger. will definately have to see your car once its completed. And on another note, orderd up a new gasket set finally for the Rolls so once the ranger gets finished i will be ready t o pull the motor!
roger longman
Level 2
Level 2

Post by roger longman »

Hi Dominic, Yes, it's coming along. Glad to hear you're starting on the Roller......Roger.
lucky87
Level 3
Level 3

Post by lucky87 »

Hi, sorry to bring a back a post from the dead, but does anyone happen to have a diagram of where those 52 spotwelds are? i banged up my fender pretty bad, and I figure it will at the very least, be easier to bang it back into shap out of the car. and most likelymy best option is to buy some new sheet metal..
Also if i reattach it with bolts.. how is that possible, wouldn't the heads of the bolts interfere with the hood?
roger longman
Level 2
Level 2

Post by roger longman »

Hi Luke, Heh, you're welcome. As said I was able to get someone who had bodywork experience and, ended up paying him $800.00, to do the welding work, plus most of the 'bashing'....You will be able to see the weld points by just looking at the donor fender. If there is any difference, which I doubt, once you get through the obvious welds the rest should make themselves known. If bolting it back on, use thin circular headed bolts, which is the way I wish I had gone, as others have said, Ford did this on their rally models....Roger.