Suspension question

XR4Ti / Sierra / Sierra Cosworth Discussions - Questions, problem resolution, general talk, technical tips and modifications.
Merkur Club web site
mrunknown

Suspension question

Post by mrunknown »

hey just wondering if any one knows if you can use the fox body front struts????
DPDISXR4Ti
Site Admin

Re: Suspension question

Post by DPDISXR4Ti »

mrunknown wrote:hey just wondering if any one knows if you can use the fox body front struts????
Piece of cake. Here's a link to the project plans... viewtopic.php?f=37&t=9364&hilit=appalachian
Brad
Swagman00
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Swagman00 »

I've said it before, but i'll say it again just for the record:

"If you don't have a lot of money and you want a V8, get a mustang."

Mixing the corner carving, rally minded performance of an XR4 with one of the best known stoplight drag strip kings is like...well...they don't. Not without serious fabrication and money anyway. Apples to oranges to put it best.

Just one perspective.
-Neil

The Mechanic: You'd have yourself a real street-sweeper here if you put a little work into it (The GTO).
G.T.O. Driver: I go fast enough.
'55 Chevy Driver: You can never go fast enough.

-Two Lane Blacktop
DSPXR4ti
Level 7
Level 7

Post by DSPXR4ti »

mrunknown wrote:hey just wondering if any one knows if you can use the fox body front struts????
If your looking for a set of struts for your XR and are looking into a different option, the 1999 to 2002 Ford focus struts fit, look into it.

Ben
85 DSP XR4ti, 2009 Solo 2 National Champion, burns muffler, 3in exhaust, Mc2 Full suspension, 325 hps & 328tqr, GMR Intake, Wilwood brakes, Eaton LSD, stand alone ECU. Working on being SM National Champion.
hEaT
Level 7
Level 7

Post by hEaT »

You do need to modify the top hats though.

That should allow 1999-2005 struts to work. Late in 06 they changed.
John Brennan
Level 8

Post by John Brennan »

Swagman00 wrote:I've said it before, but i'll say it again just for the record:

Mixing the corner carving, rally minded performance of an XR4 with one of the best known stoplight drag strip kings is like...well...they don't. Not without serious fabrication and money anyway. Apples to oranges to put it best.

Just one perspective.
Oddly, Ford thought differently, and placed that very motor in certain models of the Sierra... no swap is "easy," but it is among the easier swaps, and many have done it and have been very happy with the results.
This is my car, and these are my people!
2015 Fiesta ST
2020 Edge 2.0 Ecoboost
grve66
Level 4
Level 4

Post by grve66 »

DG was making some taper spacer(for lower ball joint) to mount the mustang spindle to the XR. don't know if he ever finished
xR4rally
Level 3
Level 3

Post by xR4rally »

Swagman00 wrote:I've said it before, but i'll say it again just for the record:

Just one perspective.
Former CMC and current American Iron class drivers might argue that a mustang can be made to handle at least decently.
"More horsepower makes you faster in the straights. Less weight makes you faster everywhere."
-Colin Chapman
xR4rally
Level 3
Level 3

Post by xR4rally »

DSPXR4ti wrote: If your looking for a set of struts for your XR and are looking into a different option, the 1999 to 2002 Ford focus struts fit, look into it.

Ben
Care to elaborate (with links)?
"More horsepower makes you faster in the straights. Less weight makes you faster everywhere."
-Colin Chapman
mrunknown

Post by mrunknown »

thx for the info as my car is in need for new suspension you guys can check out my car and its current state over in the project and photo section, oh and do the back shocks and springs fit as well or no go on that????
jkxr4ti
Level 7
Level 7

Post by jkxr4ti »

Might want to check out this thread:

http://forum.merkurclub.net/forum/viewt ... a6b18580a2

And on the rear look at MC2 racing or some nascar Front springs for use in the rear of the XR these are the right diameter and you can choose from a variety of rates. Also do a search for explorer rear shocks, some have used these on the rear of the XR. Some of the circle track shocks are pretty close dimensionally to the XR rear shocks also.
Jeremy Kemp

RIP: the Mutt….1988 XR4Ti Chestnut Brown/Spice Leather
MC2 Coilovers and Bushings, Contour Rims and Rotors, Ported Motorsport Head, Cosworth 4x4 Intercooler, Holset HY35 Turbo, 80LB Injectors, Megasquirt2 EFI
mrunknown

Post by mrunknown »

so nascar rear springs it will be as both of mine are broken and i was thinking of getting these shocks http://www.speedwaymotors.com/AFCO-12-S ... 24042.html also was wondering if someone could recommend some spring rates, i want to do some auto crossing and hopefully some drifting any info would be great as i'm baffled with what to do, gotta keep in mind i'm a builder on a budget
pyropete125
Level 7
Level 7

Post by pyropete125 »

Koni yellow adjustable struts and shocks are available... I am a koni dealer and can get you a great deal on them if your interested.

pete
89 xr4ti, LOTS'O'MODS. PICS OF MY XR, FOLVO STUFF, AND...
mrunknown

Post by mrunknown »

i may be interested depending on the deal you can get me, pm me
John Brennan
Level 8

Post by John Brennan »

pyropete125 wrote:Koni yellow adjustable struts and shocks are available... I am a koni dealer and can get you a great deal on them if your interested.

pete
Can you give a ballpark estimate for a set?
This is my car, and these are my people!
2015 Fiesta ST
2020 Edge 2.0 Ecoboost