TRW Power Steering Rack De-Power (or Rebuild)

Merkur Scorpio / XR4Ti Technical Library - Check here for answers to common questions, problems and modifications.

Moderator: John Brennan

Merkur Club web site
jetrinka
Level 3
Level 3

Re: Power Steering Rack De-Power (or Rebuild)

Post by jetrinka »

Really great write-up. I might have to try this.

Would you consider this for an occasional street driven car? My motivations are to simplify and clean up the engine bay.
88 5-speed, Red XR
86 5-speed, 4x2 Toyota Pickup 22R
75 F-250, 4x2 w/390
2010 Impreza (wifes car)
hEaT
Level 7
Level 7

Post by hEaT »

jetrinka wrote:Really great write-up. I might have to try this.

Would you consider this for an occasional street driven car? My motivations are to simplify and clean up the engine bay.
Thanks. And that's what my car is. I haven't even had the car to autox this year. It's usually a weekend fun car I go on cruises with.
DSPXR4ti
Level 7
Level 7

Post by DSPXR4ti »

hEaT wrote:
jetrinka wrote:Really great write-up. I might have to try this.

Thanks. And that's what my car is. I haven't even had the car to autox this year. It's usually a weekend fun car I go on cruises with.
The thing I'm worry about is in a slalom when your turning back and forth very fast at an autocroos and pray you don't get behind the set of turns. Just thinking out loud.

I'm 52 so muscling my cars around may not be on the horizon.
Ben
85 DSP XR4ti, 2009 Solo 2 National Champion, burns muffler, 3in exhaust, Mc2 Full suspension, 325 hps & 328tqr, GMR Intake, Wilwood brakes, Eaton LSD, stand alone ECU. Working on being SM National Champion.
DPDISXR4Ti
Site Admin

Post by DPDISXR4Ti »

hEaT wrote:Image
Don't remove the plug in the center. It will break and seals the rack. I had to make my own at the end and seal with silicone.
I was confused by this comment at first, as I thought you were talking about the dust cap visible in this pic, and then a couple steps later you go ahead and remove that dust cap. I presume then that what you're talking about is a little plug which WAS in the center of this fitting, which you regrettably did remove, yes?

FWIW, I'm on the fence about whether to do this with my TRW rack currently in the Brat. Right now I'm just running it as an unmodified non-power steering rack, and I'm not happy with the amount of effort required. But I'm wondering if the effort will be reduced significantly if I modify it as you've discussed here.
Brad
hEaT
Level 7
Level 7

Post by hEaT »

DPDISXR4Ti wrote: I was confused by this comment at first, as I thought you were talking about the dust cap visible in this pic, and then a couple steps later you go ahead and remove that dust cap. I presume then that what you're talking about is a little plug which WAS in the center of this fitting, which you regrettably did remove, yes?

FWIW, I'm on the fence about whether to do this with my TRW rack currently in the Brat. Right now I'm just running it as an unmodified non-power steering rack, and I'm not happy with the amount of effort required. But I'm wondering if the effort will be reduced significantly if I modify it as you've discussed here.
Correct. There was a small plastic/rubber piece in the center which doesn't need to be removed.

The effort is a bit less when you remove all the guts from the rack. My main reason was simplify things since I wasn't going to run P/S again in the car and didn't want the awful ratio manual rack in the car.
TexasOil

Post by TexasOil »

So has anyone done this on a ZF rack? Any notable differences than what's listed here?
DSPXR4ti
Level 7
Level 7

Post by DSPXR4ti »

[quote="TexasOil"]So has anyone done this on a ZF rack? Any notable differences than what's listed here?[/quote]

I have one and it's great, just a better feel through the steering wheel, A little hard to steer on grid but other then that works great and saves 12 lbs off the front of the XR.

Ben
TexasOil

Post by TexasOil »

[quote="DSPXR4ti"][quote="TexasOil"]So has anyone done this on a ZF rack? Any notable differences than what's listed here?[/quote]

I have one and it's great, just a better feel through the steering wheel, A little hard to steer on grid but other then that works great and saves 12 lbs off the front of the XR.

Ben[/quote]

Just for clarity, you performed the procedure outlined in the OP for that result?
boost_is_fun
Level 1
Level 1

Post by boost_is_fun »

The power steering is out on my 89 XR, but the rack hasn't been de-powered yet (I don't know if the power steering is repairable, but I like it just fine without). how much of a difference does it make? I don't think the car is particularly hard to turn at low speeds even without de-powering the rack, but if it isn't to hard too do, I think I might do this.
DPDISXR4Ti
Site Admin

Post by DPDISXR4Ti »

boost_is_fun wrote:The power steering is out on my 89 XR, but the rack hasn't been de-powered yet (I don't know if the power steering is repairable, but I like it just fine without). how much of a difference does it make?
As Joe indicated above... "The effort is a bit less when you remove all the guts from the rack."

I've heard it suggested that a power rack which hasn't been modified for manual use *may* have a small chance of locking up. I don't know how true this is, but I'll throw it out there any way. Also bear in mind the fact that when/if you go with wider tires the required effort will increase.
Brad
boost_is_fun
Level 1
Level 1

Post by boost_is_fun »

good to know, thanks.
I had heard the same thing about potential lock-ups, but my car has done 2.5 years and about 7000 miles de-powered, so I'm not all that worried about it.
hEaT
Level 7
Level 7

Post by hEaT »

OP updated with correct image links. Thanks Mark!
Last edited by hEaT on Sat Jun 23, 2018 12:04 am, edited 2 times in total.
MarkM
Level 7
Level 7

Post by MarkM »

hEaT wrote: Fri Jun 22, 2018 11:34 pm Fixed image links below...can someone please update the OP? BBCode is disabled it appears.
Yep, original post has been updated.
Mark