Jerking on slow deceleration

XR4Ti / Sierra / Sierra Cosworth Discussions - Questions, problem resolution, general talk, technical tips and modifications.
Merkur Club web site
mikerobison
Level 2
Level 2

Jerking on slow deceleration

Post by mikerobison »

'87 XR with MBC, Front mount IC, Super Sequential BOV, stock computer, T-9 Transmission, 3" exhaust. When I drive down the freeway and accelerate to maintain speed lets say to atmospheric pressure, 0 on the boost gauge, then decelerate slowly I get a violent jerking reaction through the drive line. (I don't get it when I quickly decelerate then press the gas pedal down to cruise speed. This leads to uncomfortable driving.)

I think it might be the BOV isn't releaving pressure and causing a pressure surge.... Any ideas?

P.S. This didn't start until I installed the FMIC and BOV.
xrattiracer
Level 7
Level 7

Post by xrattiracer »

actually its likely that the bov is opening and letting unmetered air in/out.
86 Silver XR4Ti. 'squirted. 12.7@111
03 VW Golf tdi
05 Yamaha FZ6
Ed Lijewski
Level 8

Post by Ed Lijewski »

Definitely look at/check the complete IC system. I'm reminded of a post some months ago (can't recall the exact description of the problem...) where after lots of sleuthing and head-scratching, the poster reported he found a small hole/leak in his IC which when fixed also resolved his problem. Point being that that's worth at least keeping in mind.

YMMV 8)
Descartes: "Cogito Ergo Sum"
Lijewski: "Sum Ergo Drive-O. Mucho!
mikerobison
Level 2
Level 2

Post by mikerobison »

I couldn't imagine that a small IC/BOV leak could be causing this, because of how violent it is. I will investigate. Thanks, Mike
86XR4Ti_John
Level 5
Level 5

Post by 86XR4Ti_John »

Mike I had that once on my Talon, and it was the BOV for sure, swapped it out for another stocker and it ws no problem. Try another BOV and/or try to fix/setup yours?
John

86 Xr, lowered, cossie rear sway bar, wheels, intercooled, big vam, PE superchip.
91 Talon TSi, well modified, 5spd all wheel drive, runs 11's.
mikerobison
Level 2
Level 2

Re: Jerking on slow deceleration

Post by mikerobison »

The problem was the EGR valve went bad.
Mike
Spokane
Grayson
Level 7
Level 7

Re: Jerking on slow deceleration

Post by Grayson »

An easy test is to simply clamp some 1" dowel rod in place of the BOV and head out for a drive. If the problem goes away, you know it's the BOV. BOV issues are cake to diagnose.