New Speed sensor adapter

Scorpio / Scorpio Cosworth Discussions - Questions, problem resolution, general talk, technical tips and modifications.
Merkur Club web site
EodGuy99
Level 2
Level 2

New Speed sensor adapter

Post by EodGuy99 »

I spent part of this week developing an adapter for the A4LD to use a commonly available and realtivley inexpensive speed sensor.
Installed it last night with great results, speedometer is dead steady, cruise and fule computer work the they should and tans shifts normally.
I have several long trips to make in the near future, a good test for the setup and if it performs the way I expect it too, I will make a nicer version of the adapter for Scoprio owners.
I could provide the sensor also, but they are easliy available locally.
Jeff
FocusSVT
Level 5
Level 5

Post by FocusSVT »

That is fantastic! Pics and details please when you get a chance!
Darren Needham
Andover, Ks.
EodGuy99
Level 2
Level 2

Pics.

Post by EodGuy99 »

Jeff
adamzpily

Post by adamzpily »

Nice work. I have been playing with that sensor also last year but couldn't find the adapter with the right tread. Then i designed a circuit to use common Ford speed sensor (STANDARD MOTOR PRODUCTS Part # SC46) on Scorpio. Tested with oscilloscope and speedometer with good results.
So if we run out VSSs we have some solutions available.
Adam J.
88 Scorpio 2.3 turbo 16v Volford motor
http://home.comcast.net/~scorpio2.3/
estep04

Speed sensor

Post by estep04 »

Jeff, what is the part number and place to get this readily ready speed sensor? I had to just switch out VSSs and will be heading to Carlisle. It is a long drive and would like to carry a replacement. Much appreciated!
'88 Scorpio-Chestnut Metallic
'99 Taurus DOHC
EodGuy99
Level 2
Level 2

Speed sensor

Post by EodGuy99 »

The adapter is something I custom make, the actual sensor is from a contour.
Jeff
estep04

Post by estep04 »

Oh, so it does not just require some splicing and connectors? It requires a new backend as well?
'99 Taurus DOHC
EodGuy99
Level 2
Level 2

Sensor

Post by EodGuy99 »

adapter looks like this, compared to a factory sensor.

Fianl unit looks like this:
Jeff
estep04

Post by estep04 »

So, how much would one of these cost a guy like me? I would really like to try it out on the Carlisle trip! I think what you have done here is awesome!
'99 Taurus DOHC
jrwirt

Re: New Speed sensor adapter

Post by jrwirt »

Bump.....What is the latest on the search for a Scorpio A4LD vehicle speed sensor replacement? Thanks.
EodGuy99
Level 2
Level 2

Post by EodGuy99 »

I make them on request.
Jeff
jrwirt

Post by jrwirt »

EodGuy99 wrote:I make them on request.
Hi Jeff,

Thanks for the reply. Do you make the mounting/fitting and we source the proper VSS or do you make a plug-and-play part? What is the cost and lead time? Thanks.

Regards,
Jim Wirt
San Diego, CA
merkurdriver
Level 8

Post by merkurdriver »

Should have similar item up on http://www.merkurdepot.com
in the next 24 hrs or so.

Props to Jeff for the discovery and R&D that made these a reality.
milehighXR
Level 7
Level 7

Post by milehighXR »

Got my contour VSS sorted today. It is Napa P/N VSS327, I asked for one from a 99 Contour with V-6 and auto trans. The wires on the sensor were solid brown, yellow with brown tracer, and black with brown tracer. I couldn't find a good(read matching) wire diagram for that Contour, so I hooked it up matching all the main colors to my VSS connector. Solid black to black/brown tracer, solid yellow to yellow/brown tracer and solid brown to solid brown. It didn't work, but that could have had something to do with the 20 amp fuse in position 20 in the fuse panel being blown due some other cause(probably my old VSS shorting its frayed wires together) :roll: this fuse feeds power to among other things, the VSS, the kickdown solenoid, TCC solenoid(both for auto Scorps only) and to the turn signals. You'll still have hazards if this relay blows, but no turn signals, kickdown, converter lock up, or VSS... Once I replaced the fuse angels sang, and all was right with the world again :headbang

We really ought to put together a sticky of known good aftermarket Contour VSSes that work.

I think mine may have been a reman unit, but not sure as they didn't ask for a core, but it does have a Ford P/N molded into the plastic of the housing...

Now to track down the car side harness of the Contour VSS so we can make pigtail adapters, and thus gain warranty for our Contour VSSes, cuz I doubt they'll warranty it if the wires have been cut...
Johnny

1 86 XR aka Naomi- my first love, now daily driven project

DCLXVI
EodGuy99
Level 2
Level 2

Post by EodGuy99 »

I have been using the vehicle speed sensor from a 1995 Ford Contour without any problems at all the colors almost match for Scorpio identically
Jeff