Blowing fuse

XR4Ti / Sierra / Sierra Cosworth Discussions - Questions, problem resolution, general talk, technical tips and modifications.
Merkur Club web site
ThisIsMikey

Blowing fuse

Post by ThisIsMikey »

My #12 fuse(25 amp) for the Interior lights keeps popping when I go to install a new one.
Any common reasons for this happening?
1986 Merkur Xr4Ti
1965 Mustang Fastback 302 w/ 5 speed manual
1969 El Camino
1957 GMC pickup Sits on 93 Caprice chassis. 5.7 TBI
1974 Bricklin SV-1
Oldmaddog
Level 2
Level 2

Re: Blowing fuse

Post by Oldmaddog »

check both cigerette lighters espescially the rear one. You will actually have to unplug them to see if it is your issue. Was having same issue.
hEaT
Level 7
Level 7

Post by hEaT »

Oldmaddog wrote:check both cigerette lighters espescially the rear one. You will actually have to unplug them to see if it is your issue. Was having same issue.
X100! My rear caused the same issue.
ThisIsMikey

Post by ThisIsMikey »

Well now that you mention it, my cigarette lighter looks like its been pushed in to the point where you can't grab it with your fingers.
I hope this fixes it! Thank you.

I'm a new owner as of 3 days ago. So I'll be on here fairly often. But even with the electrical problems I'm experiencing(Inevitable, from what I've seen so far) I absolutely love the car.
1986 Merkur Xr4Ti
1969 El Camino
1974 Bricklin SV-1
Ed Lijewski
Level 8

Post by Ed Lijewski »

To get the cig lighter hot you push in the center section--the outer ring doesn't move.

YMMV :wink:
Descartes: "Cogito Ergo Sum"
Lijewski: "Sum Ergo Drive-O. Mucho!
ThisIsMikey

Post by ThisIsMikey »

Now here's something. Do I have to remove the lighter or does just unplugging it work?
Cause I unplugged it, and it isn't popping the fuse anymore, but my accessories incorporated with that fuse still don't work.
1986 Merkur Xr4Ti
1969 El Camino
1974 Bricklin SV-1
ford nutz
Level 1
Level 1

Post by ford nutz »

try to complete the circuit when u unplugged it it broke the circuit that's prob why ur other accessories still don't work, take a wire a jump the plug see if stuff starts to work
hEaT
Level 7
Level 7

Post by hEaT »

ford nutz wrote:try to complete the circuit when u unplugged it it broke the circuit that's prob why ur other accessories still don't work, take a wire a jump the plug see if stuff starts to work
That sounds like a sure fire way to hurt yourself and definitely blow the fuse if it isn't already. Don't short the plug.

The circuit will work fine without the cig lighter plugged in. Have you verified the new fuse it still good?
ThisIsMikey

Post by ThisIsMikey »

Last time I checked, it was fine. But I'll give it another look.

And in the mean time. I also have no turn signals at all, and no headlights. Just fog. And my highbeams only work on the intermittent switch.
It's a lot to throw out there, but these are my priorities before performance add-ons. And I'm anxious for those.
1986 Merkur Xr4Ti
1969 El Camino
1974 Bricklin SV-1
Oldmaddog
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Oldmaddog »

If the car has been sitting for any length of time, I would strongly suggest pulling every fuse and relay out of the fuse box and clean all the connections in the fuse box with jewelers file. Obviously disconnect battery before doing this. Then clean all the fuse and relay tabs as you stick them back in the fuse box. Sounds like you got a lot of oxidized, corroded or rusted connections. This is what I had to do to get everything working on my car after it was sitting outside for 2 years. Also check all plug connection in the engine bay, fenders, bumpers, etc..
ThisIsMikey

Post by ThisIsMikey »

Sounds like I have a patience testing time ahead of me. But I will get to it!
Thanks for all the advice. I'll be back if problems persist.

And that's a major Yes, on the corrosion part...
1986 Merkur Xr4Ti
1969 El Camino
1974 Bricklin SV-1
Oldmaddog
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Oldmaddog »

Just makesure you don't spread the prongs out further in the fuse box. If anything, try to close them up more so they are a tighter fit on the fuse tabs.