forge bov question

XR4Ti / Sierra / Sierra Cosworth Discussions - Questions, problem resolution, general talk, technical tips and modifications.
Merkur Club web site
ford nutz
Level 1
Level 1

forge bov question

Post by ford nutz »

hello another question , does anyone know what the pressure is I need to use, to test to see if my bov is leaking. I heard if I use too much pressure i can rip the diaphragm, and not enough pressure welll.. just wont be enough to tell you . I looked under the website and cannot find anything that says how to test it either, so if someone knows pls inform me, thank you.
turboplz
Level 6
Level 6

Re: forge bov question

Post by turboplz »

Do you have a true forge or one of the knock offs? I had a knock off once that the plastic lower diaphragm wouldn't seat correctly once in a while. IIRC, I lightly sanded down the edges and then greased the edges with bearing grease and never had an issue again.
Jason

89 Xr4ti..."Bronze Turd"...long term project/current garage queen

2014 Focus ST
Esteban
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Esteban »

When I do a boost leak test on my car, i toss in 20psi. The real forge bov should be able to handle 30psi with the proper spring. There is no diaphram, just 2 o-rings.
ford nutz
Level 1
Level 1

Post by ford nutz »

Yes I do have a true forge bov it wasn't cheep and i did buy the spring kit as well both from mc2 racing
aviatorpa23
Level 2
Level 2

Post by aviatorpa23 »

Clean it - grease - renew the o-rings from time to time and it will serve you well. It will hold what a T3 or T4/T3 combo will toss at it, within the confines of optimum waste-gate setting for the turbo
Jim D.
Retired and Accepting it!
turboplz
Level 6
Level 6

Post by turboplz »

Esteban wrote: There is no diaphram, just 2 o-rings.
I couldn't come up with the correct word for that piece, plug, stopper, whatchamacallit...so I used diaphragm, lol.

But as far as testing it, if you're going to pressurize the intake to check for leaks, it is good practice to remove the followers from the intake lobes. This will help to assure you don't lose any pressure out the exhaust.

You can also try rigging something up with pvc and some clamps to only test the bov.
Jason

89 Xr4ti..."Bronze Turd"...long term project/current garage queen

2014 Focus ST
Esteban
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Esteban »

They are actually referred to as pistons. Lol
turboplz
Level 6
Level 6